Old 10-19-2019, 05:06 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 523 Times in 298 Posts
Default One of many questions about the Mental Game

So... I've always thought I had a pretty good mental game when it came to sports, BUT... i've never played ball golf, and other non-reactionary sports like pool or darts have always been beer games more akin to fishing so the mental side wasn't too much an issue.

I've been working on the mental game for DG, which is far and away my biggest hurdle. Doing the books and trying out things and integrating into other parts of my life... putting is still at times woeful.

For this particular question though. Today I was playing a casual round for my self. I'm throwing one drive on some holes, trying a second drive to see a different line or different disc, or proving to myself I can make a good drive if I shank the first one, then using 3 putters and keeping score off of the 1st drive no matter what, and 1st putt no matter what.
I'm having an up and down game. Every birdie is countered by a 3 putt bogey or really bad drive when I try again and pure the second attempt.
So, walking between 14 and 15 I get a text from my daughter. I need to get home, not a super rush but need to stop multi-drives and multi-putts.
I PARK, 15, 16, 17 and have a perfectly shaped even if short drive on 18 which is generally out of reach for me, but make an easy par.

So... for people that maybe do this sort of thing, plan on throwing extra drives casually sometimes, do you think there might be a bit of a mental hang-up when you step on the teepad expecting to throw more than one disc? I'm wondering when I step up to putt also knowing i'm going to putt 3 times if that same thing might be happening?

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 10-19-2019, 05:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39.7
Courses Played: 95
Niced 982 Times in 377 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

I think sometimes we over think this. Here's why I say that.

Years ago I went to a local tournament and my new girlfriend decided she wanted to walk along with me. That made me a bit nervous because she had never seen me play golf. Turned out I won that day, my only real tournament win. I think what happened was her being there and me being a bit nervous about her there took the edge off my disc golf mental game and filled it instead with the anxiety of her there. Not a lot but enough to make me play more by instinct than I usually do.

I think that text from your daughter did the same thing to you. It directed some of your concentration to home and that small amount had you playing more by instinct than you were the holes prior.

My best rounds, looking back, are mostly when I'm relaxed and not over thinking the game. I throw multiple shots also on solo rounds and when I do I think more about my technique than when I just play a round of golf.

Old 10-20-2019, 04:29 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 19
Niced 986 Times in 579 Posts

Practice anyway you want, but I've heard something like this time and time again: "During a tournament, it's ok to think about your shot walking up to your lie or the tee, but once you step up to throw stop thinking about anything and just throw. The more you think about the shot in those final moments leading up to to the throw, the more likely you are to have a bad throw." And I agree with Jay ^^^, my best rounds are when I stop overthinking everything and just throw.

But...I'm also a big believer you have to train your mind to experience the subliminal mental stress of tournament play. I've experienced this and have seen friends experience this: "Why do I play so much better in casual rounds?" Limiting those relaxed casual rounds with friends and playing more weekly paid minis will help with adjusting to a tournament mindset.

Niced: (2)
Old 10-20-2019, 11:52 AM

Niced 10 Times in 2 Posts

IMO, giving yourself mulligans isn't a good way to improve your mental game, even if your keeping score with your 1st throw and putt. This is just practice for making a better 2nd or 3rd shot

Instead, practice like you're playing a tournament, and make each shot count. A big part of the mental game is not letting mistakes affect your play.

Old 10-20-2019, 12:32 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 108 Times in 75 Posts

I realize when my drives are off my putts are way better. I'm too focused on my drives that when I am around the basket I am already pissed at the hole. I don't care. If only I can drive AND putt well haha.

Old 10-21-2019, 02:45 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 24
Niced 523 Times in 298 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby snack View Post
IMO, giving yourself mulligans isn't a good way to improve your mental game, even if your keeping score with your 1st throw and putt. This is just practice for making a better 2nd or 3rd shot

Instead, practice like you're playing a tournament, and make each shot count. A big part of the mental game is not letting mistakes affect your play.
I kinda think there are two sides to this coin. The mulligan can be a confidence builder and hopefully something I can put in my positive mental bank. I KNOW I can make this shot, and when in practice I do hit it even if it is the second shot I can take that confidence into a competitive round. For me a good example of this is several months ago I was playing a casual round with a friend and we usually don't compete but keep score... unless things go bad then we just throw... or one keeps their score the other is just along. A few of the big holes we can watch the disc fly will throw a few drives, and only random mulligans otherwise. On a hole (16 I coincidentally parked in my OP round) I smacked a tree, just missed the line by a few feet. The hole is short but steep uphill with a few trees that create a sometimes difficult ceiling. Under the trees but get up the hill. The straight shot at the basket has a much narrower vertical window, a hyzer line to the right of the offending tree has a larger vertical window but narrower left-right gap. I was going for the right gap. I said "one more, I know I can hit that gap" I did and got a skip-mulligan-ace (which he signed "not a real ace") BUT that point is as many times as I've hit that tree or the ones too far right, the image I have to tee this hole? The Mullie-Ace.

The other part really is that a lot of my second drives aren't strictly mulligans to improve. Sometimes its a good birdie look on the first drive I just want a different line. High over trees or a low skip, or a hyzerflip or big OS flex shot. My second shot is not always better. Or a need to feel good, more of a "I wonder if I can make this work"

On the practicing good 2nd or 3rd shot mentality though I kind of thought this is where my head was going, just on a more subconscious level, but probably more along the lines of what Jay Dub said. Too much thinking early even when I thought I wasn't then when the distraction of being on the clock but still finishing the round came up I was TRULY not thinking just throwing.

Last edited by Putt for D'oh; 10-21-2019 at 02:49 PM.
Old 10-21-2019, 03:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,149 Times in 894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
I think sometimes we over think this. Here's why I say that.

Years ago I went to a local tournament and my new girlfriend decided she wanted to walk along with me. That made me a bit nervous because she had never seen me play golf. Turned out I won that day, my only real tournament win. I think what happened was her being there and me being a bit nervous about her there took the edge off my disc golf mental game and filled it instead with the anxiety of her there. Not a lot but enough to make me play more by instinct than I usually do.

I think that text from your daughter did the same thing to you. It directed some of your concentration to home and that small amount had you playing more by instinct than you were the holes prior.

My best rounds, looking back, are mostly when I'm relaxed and not over thinking the game. I throw multiple shots also on solo rounds and when I do I think more about my technique than when I just play a round of golf.
I agree- distractions can be helpful if you are someone who tends to dwell on your own mistakes too much (which I most certainly am). I do a fair bit of looking for arrowheads on courses and my game is often much better for it. Thinking is for practice, doing is for events.
Old 10-21-2019, 03:20 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.8
Courses Played: 140
Niced 418 Times in 186 Posts

Every mind is different. So, every person will prepare somewhat differently. I use the following process, but that does not mean it will work for you.

I generally prefer field work for training purposes - learning the how the discs fly with different angles in different conditions. Same applies with putting, I will putt at all 4 sides of the basket to get practice in different (wind) conditions.

When I play 18 holes, I generally play as if I were playing a tournament round, with two exceptions:
1. 2 off the top - just for fun
2. I'll putt 2-3 putts from every approach (if within circle 2). Extra putting practice never hurts...

I know a lot of people love Cali rounds or mulligans to throw extra shots. But, I think you're just lying to yourself if you think you can shoot the same with & without extra, free shots.... I prefer to play by tournament standards because it forces me to focus on the importance of each individual shot, instead of knowing I have a Cali in my back pocket....

Old 10-21-2019, 03:28 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 101
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 337 Times in 161 Posts

there are all kinds of ways to practice & all of them are doing more good than sitting on your keyboard

Old 10-21-2019, 03:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,149 Times in 894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevis View Post
there are all kinds of ways to practice & all of them are doing more good than sitting on your keyboard
nah... bad practice is often worse than doing nothing