Old 10-21-2019, 02:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 29.6
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,730 Times in 560 Posts

If DD was music, they'd be the Gwen Stefani of disc golf.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (3)
Old 10-21-2019, 02:47 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 1,983 Times in 470 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltTooLong View Post
I realize that DD helps support your company, but its not that difficult to understand why people get annoyed with them. It doesn't mean its a "dumb take", it means people dislike their in-your-face social media strategy of getting people to buy their products. They depend on their players acting and dressing like clowns (Risley, Oakley) instead of their players demonstrating and showcasing elite shots and finishes w/their companies discs.

Ripping people for rooting for and against certain teams seems short-sited. Rivalries produce more spectators and increase drama, something I know you are keen on. Do you rip people for liking the Packers and hating on the Vikings too? I didn't think so.
I don't care if people root for or against a team. It is when people throw out the insults that bothers me. I root against the Cubs & Bears and most IL teams. But, I wouldn't generically insult all their players or fans like some do on this forum. To me, that is a line too far.

DD are more friends than they are clients. We do work with them at GBO every year. But honestly, I would say this about any of our sponsored teams, that lumping people's personalities into a team is just asinine. I totally get not liking individual players. There are people that are almost universally loved that I wouldn't want to spend 10 minutes with in the sport.

DD doesn't ask or pressure their players to do anything out of the ordinary. It just so happens that DD sees something in the players that attracts them to these players. The fact that they are honest, good people, outgoing, and fun loving probably has something to do with it. But for every Oakley & AJ who are outgoing they have a Melton & Clemons. I mean, gosh, I would hate to have a group of people who are willing to promote your product and be vocal about it.

Are you insulted every time Nate and Jerm give away discs on Jomez? Do you hate how they throw their products in your face at the end of every video? How about Eagle and Simon who are goofballs and post a TON on social media? There tends to be a lot of "old man"-ism in this forum. "Oh those kids and their loud clothes and their silly social media posts." The last thing I can see getting upset about at someone or disliking them for is how they dress. For the love of god, look back thru our history of our sport and see what players wore. In 10 years maybe all of our players are wearing bright blue pants cause it is fashionable. But honestly, it seems like it is mostly directed towards DD. And that I don't understand.

Old 10-21-2019, 02:48 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
If DD was music, they'd be the Gwen Stefani of disc golf.
The best part about this comment, is I don't know if that is good or bad!

Niced: (4)
Old 10-21-2019, 03:42 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 706 Times in 381 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
It never ceases to amaze me how much people tend to lump players with shared sponsors into one bucket. They are "teams" in name only for the most part. Team DD doesn't get together for s'mores and sing Kum Ba Yah at each event they attend. (Or do they?)
Prodigy did, back when they became a thing, and one of them won the first big tourneh. Well it wasnt as much kumbayah as it was a chant of types, but yeah.

Also they caught an artillery load of flak for it.

Niced: (3)
Old 10-21-2019, 05:37 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 33 Times in 14 Posts

Pure speculation, as it seems to be the norm here.

Is it the year we see prop player breaking his current contract to join another team ? I don't remember if Paige Pierce did. I won't put names though.

Looking at the high ratings: Joel Freeman seems like a name I would see leaving Innova, he seems to spend a lot of time with the DD crew (well, Nate Perkins also does...) and doesn't seem to get a lot recognition from Innova.

In Europe, Jesse Nieminen is the biggest rating unsigned yet. Should be interesting to see where he ends up ?

Potential randomly generated switches: Calvin Heimburg, Henna Blomroos, MJ (as he surprisingly hasn't stated yet he was staying with Discraft in this thread...)

Man, I love this thread

EDIT: I hadn't seen that MJ had signed with Discraft for 2020 as well

Niced: (1)
Old 10-21-2019, 05:45 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 161 Times in 78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneva View Post
Pure speculation, as it seems to be the norm here.

Is it the year we see prop player breaking his current contract to join another team ? I don't remember if Paige Pierce did. I won't put names though.

Looking at the high ratings: Joel Freeman seems like a name I would see leaving Innova, he seems to spend a lot of time with the DD crew (well, Nate Perkins also does...) and doesn't seem to get a lot recognition from Innova.

In Europe, Jesse Nieminen is the biggest rating unsigned yet. Should be interesting to see where he ends up ?

Potential randomly generated switches: Calvin Heimburg, Henna Blomroos, MJ (as he surprisingly hasn't stated yet he was staying with Discraft in this thread...)

Man, I love this thread

EDIT: I hadn't seen that MJ had signed with Discraft for 2020 as well
MJ signed through 2023 I think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20191021-164355.jpg (59.4 KB, 114 views)

Niced: (2)
Old 10-21-2019, 05:47 PM
Double Eagle Member

Paige didn't exactly break her contract with Prodigy. It was up at the end of the year and she was seen throwing DD discs before that. I think similar to what Ricky did when he left as well. But she was still technically still under contract for a few weeks yet. According to Ultiworld last year Paige is agreed to another 2 years or so. But the deal's details were never released.

I can't IMAGINE Innova would let Calvin leave. That would be a huge mistake, they need to just make that guy happy whatever it takes. He is probably their future.

Joel Freeman is a good guess as to someone I could see move. I haven't heard much about him anywhere.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:07 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.7
Courses Played: 692
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,680 Times in 762 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvphobic View Post
Paige didn't exactly break her contract with Prodigy. It was up at the end of the year and she was seen throwing DD discs before that. I think similar to what Ricky did when he left as well. But she was still technically still under contract for a few weeks yet. According to Ultiworld last year Paige is agreed to another 2 years or so. But the deal's details were never released.

I can't IMAGINE Innova would let Calvin leave. That would be a huge mistake, they need to just make that guy happy whatever it takes. He is probably their future.

Joel Freeman is a good guess as to someone I could see move. I haven't heard much about him anywhere.
Calvin will have a tough life decision at the end of each tour year, considering he apparently has a recent chemical engineering degree in his pocket. I came out of college into the Fortune 500 as a chemical engineer many years ago and stayed in that corporate world for almost 10 years before heading out on my own towards an uncertain future. How will Calvin weigh his options?
Old 10-21-2019, 06:13 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
Calvin will have a tough life decision at the end of each tour year, considering he apparently has a recent chemical engineering degree in his pocket. I came out of college into the Fortune 500 as a chemical engineer many years ago and stayed in that corporate world for almost 10 years before heading out on my own towards an uncertain future. How will Calvin weigh his options?
That might depend a lot on his sponsor. I truly believe that Calvin should be close to a 6 figure player. He just lacks that charisma to drive sales.

Niced: (1)

Old 10-21-2019, 06:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,167 Times in 672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvphobic View Post
That might depend a lot on his sponsor. I truly believe that Calvin should be close to a 6 figure player. He just lacks that charisma to drive sales.
Personally, I think his on camera charisma is fine. He never lets the round unnerve him, never acts like a jerk.
Never met him, so I have no idea what his off camera personility is like.

MJ has said that he is never leaving Discraft. That's about as high praise for a company as I can think of.

Last edited by wolfmandragon; 10-21-2019 at 06:25 PM.
Closed Thread