Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2019, 04:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,143 Times in 892 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
It's hard to tell when the recommendation comes from the RC that the Board approves or the Board creates or revamps a rule on their own.
are there instances of the Board bypassing the committee and creating rules on their own? poor form if so...
Old 10-21-2019, 04:54 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.7
Courses Played: 692
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,678 Times in 760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
are there instances of the Board bypassing the committee and creating rules on their own? poor form if so...
Never having been in the direct cross talk between Board and RC, I'd be surprised if there are any cases where the Board cooked up a rule tweak that the RC was not familiar with or had discussed. However, the RC may have advised against some options over the years where that Board decided to approve it.
Old 10-21-2019, 05:58 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 45.5
Courses Played: 366
Niced 1,711 Times in 840 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
you know perfectly well what i mean...
OK, to the real point, with an example. Where exactly does the root of a tree stop being a playing surface and start being something you should not use for support? More to the point, why does there need to be a difference?

Niced: (1)
Old 10-21-2019, 11:59 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 24
Niced 521 Times in 298 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
OK, to the real point, with an example. Where exactly does the root of a tree stop being a playing surface and start being something you should not use for support? More to the point, why does there need to be a difference?
Hand? Buttcheek? Foot below you or foot elevated? Your knee if you are kneeling down but not if you are up high? what if you are kneeling on a rock?

Tree or Rock? Dead Log or Tree? Tree or sign Post? side of a building or hillside?

The way the rule is now is fine as there is no black and white line only a MESS of gray to try and discuss what would and would not be legal.

Old 10-22-2019, 11:28 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 50
Courses Played: 52
Niced 573 Times in 243 Posts

I can see myself having to use a cane or other device in the future to navigate a course and to support myself as I have begun to experience mobility issues related to nerve damage in my right ankle. Apparently that is illegal and it also tells me that the PDGA doesn't really care about anyone with mobility problems or they would have accommodated those of us with physical limitations. If no one called it on Ricky or GG, then the rule is a joke and needs to be modified.
Old 10-22-2019, 11:39 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.7
Courses Played: 692
Niced 1,678 Times in 760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by da Crippler View Post
I can see myself having to use a cane or other device in the future to navigate a course and to support myself as I have begun to experience mobility issues related to nerve damage in my right ankle. Apparently that is illegal and it also tells me that the PDGA doesn't really care about anyone with mobility problems or they would have accommodated those of us with physical limitations. If no one called it on Ricky or GG, then the rule is a joke and needs to be modified.
Certain medical devices are allowed so I don't think you'd find the rules sticklers against the use of a cane. A crutch for example has been allowed for the past 30 years as long as its base is located behind your lie when throwing.
Old 10-22-2019, 12:07 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.4
Courses Played: 68
Niced 285 Times in 154 Posts

Quote:
Not true. There is already an item in the RC backlog to consider things like a cane/crutch and how to handle them in the places where supporting point is used in the rules. Just because you don't see anything publicly, doesn't mean things aren't already being considered/discussed.

Old 10-22-2019, 04:20 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 154 Times in 84 Posts

Quote:
The Q&A includes mobility devices (and mentions canes), in the definition of supporting points.

Quote:
QA-STA-1: A supporting point is defined as “any part of the player’s body” that touches the playing surface. However, there’s almost always a layer of clothing such as a shoe between the player’s body and the playing surface. Does that count?

Yes. The phrase “part of the player’s body” should be interpreted to include not only clothing but also mobility devices such as canes or crutches (as long as they are providing support).
So you are should be fine in the future to use your cane.

It is interesting that the q&a includes the line "as long as they are providing support" in reference to mobility aids. I guess this is to stop people standing 4' to the side of their lie and just resting their crutch tip in the lie, without actually leaning on the crutch.

Further on accessibility, am I right in thinking that use of a wheelchair is prohibited?

Quote:
3.05 Carts, Caddies and Groups

Players are required to walk during their tournament rounds at all PDGA events unless alternate transportation such as golf carts are provided within the regular event entry fee (not as an opt-in) to all players within a single competitive division.
I am surprised by this, is there any talk happening on this matter?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Old 10-22-2019, 04:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.9
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,829 Times in 1,580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesethin View Post
Further on accessibility, am I right in thinking that use of a wheelchair is prohibited?

I am surprised by this, is there any talk happening on this matter?
I'm unaware of any talk about it. I'm also unaware of any wheelchair bound player who has ever attempted to play a PDGA event, or if they have, they were denied use of the chair during play.

I don't think the intent behind the rule to disallow a wheelchair bound player from participating, and am inclined to believe that if it came up, whatever waivers or permissions to bypass the walking requirement for the player would be granted without hesitation.