#1  
Old 10-22-2019, 10:24 AM
SuperWookie's Avatar
SuperWookie SuperWookie is online now
Par Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 214
Niced 25 Times in 19 Posts
Question Golf Lag vs Hand on Outside of Disc

So I'm still not getting anywhere in my practice sessions or playing in regards to throwing farther with ease and throwing the disc properly. I'm getting a little more consistent, and accuracy is improving a tad, but that's just from playing a lot of actual rds, not from any form improvement while practicing.

And I'm still throwing the same distances as I was about 3-4 months ago . I've been reading a ton and then practicing what I read about, and one thing that has piqued my interest is the following idea that I read about first from HUB, but many others have touched on as well, is the following.

Keeping your hand on the outside of the disc (9 o'clock) for as long as possible all while getting your elbow out in front. This is "The Magic" as HUB calls it. It's THE reason why you are able to throw the disc so far with such little effort.

And it got me wondering, is this basically the same idea or feeling as lag in the golf swing?

So my question is ONLY for people that know what lag is, can lag a golf club properly, can hit a golf ball far with ease and have seen their golf swing on video, AND throw a Disc far, with good form and with ease (480'+).

Because when I read HUB's description of this idea, it sounds an awful lot like the difference between a regular Joe's golf swing and a pro or low handicap golfer that can properly lag the club. Keeping the clubhead way behind you until literally the last second, letting the gravity of the club and the weight shift and movements of your body to pull it down into the cocked position, and then unloading with the wrists at the last last possible second. Is the feeling of keeping your hand on the outside of the disc and getting your elbow forward the same feeling as the first time you learned how to properly lag the clubhead? Or maybe not the same but similar? And how? Or not at all the same feeling?

And follow up question, what are the best drills to groove this feeling and these two ideas? I have been doing the Right Pec drill on and off since I picked this sport up in April, and it doesn't do anything for me. I understand I need to get my elbow forward, but doing that drill doesn't teach me how to do that dynamically. It just sets the disc at my right pec and then has me throw a horrible short shot that teaches my body nothing. I'm sure it works for others, but it's not working for me. So any other drills or tips on how to work on getting my elbow out front as well as keeping my hand on the outside of the disc as long as possible is appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-22-2019, 12:01 PM
RandyC RandyC is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 227
Niced 154 Times in 88 Posts
Default

1. The feeling is similiar, I suppose identical if you got a great form. I only own a 7 iron and never have played a round of golf but I do go to range and hit some balls now and then. I am hitting around 150-165 yards with it. My golf swing effort is probably 3 out of 10. Disc golf throw depends on the day it΄s either 5 or 150 out of 10.

2. I belive trying to get the elbow out front is just body part positioning which never works and kills the sequence.

3. Keep the discs stamp facing you during your backswing bit like GG does and whip it to the angle you want. Should keep your hand outside the disc longer/shoulders closed etc. https://i.makeagif.com/media/10-06-2019/FzGtRg.gif
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-22-2019, 12:08 PM
tylerc's Avatar
tylerc tylerc is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: nc
Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 74
Posts: 1,281
Niced 146 Times in 109 Posts
Default

Yes it is the same thing.
If you draw a line between the shoulders and another from the throwing shoulder to throwing elbow. The angle between these lines ought to be 90 degrees until the disc reaches the throwing shoulder in the direction of the intended release.
The hand being on the outside of the disc creates another lever that will naturally pendulum around/out the grip at the right time. It is identical to lag.

I use to play competitive golf and open disc golf if that means anything.

Niced: (2)

Last edited by tylerc; 10-22-2019 at 12:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-22-2019, 12:25 PM
sidewinder22's Avatar
sidewinder22 sidewinder22 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Creeping Creek DGC
Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 220
Posts: 15,144
Niced 2,890 Times in 1,764 Posts
Default

I don’t play ball golf, but I think I could hit a ball pretty well with a one-handed swing. You may find the video and graphic below interesting. The Right Pec drill never did anything for me but pain and frustration as a drill which is why I don’t often recommend it, but there is a lot of good information in the vid and the OG thread. What helped me the most was playing around with a hammer in pendulum and feeling how the wrist needs to be tensioned tighter to it with less lag in order to spring it forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Some interesting stuff about golf Pros vs Ams and the wide lead arm vs collapsed lead arm/hugging yourself/rounding and how it relates to lag and power.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FllwDHWGxk#t=8m


Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-22-2019, 12:26 PM
UhhNegative UhhNegative is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Courses Played: 48
Posts: 692
Niced 231 Times in 176 Posts
Default

You don't have to think about having the hand on the outside of the disc for it to happen. If your arm is loose, the lag will happen automatically. Same with golf, if your arms are tense, there's no way to get that lag.

I'm not thinking at all about where my hand is on the disc during this shot. I'm just keeping my arm loose and the disc weight automatically lags itself to where your hand is on the outside of the disc. I'm doing lots of other things wrong though so don't pay attention to anything else



I'm not the best golfer, and haven't played in years. But I get some OK lag in the shot. During this day hit 7 iron ~150 and drivers ~220 yards.

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-22-2019, 12:42 PM
UhhNegative UhhNegative is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Courses Played: 48
Posts: 692
Niced 231 Times in 176 Posts
Default

I agree the right-pec drill is probably more harmful than helpful. It's very difficult to go from an artificially created lag position to throwing a shot with no momentum.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-23-2019, 03:32 PM
SuperWookie's Avatar
SuperWookie SuperWookie is online now
Par Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 214
Niced 25 Times in 19 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
I don’t play ball golf, but I think I could hit a ball pretty well with a one-handed swing. You may find the video and graphic below interesting. The Right Pec drill never did anything for me but pain and frustration as a drill which is why I don’t often recommend it, but there is a lot of good information in the vid and the OG thread. What helped me the most was playing around with a hammer in pendulum and feeling how the wrist needs to be tensioned tighter to it with less lag in order to spring it forward.
When you say OG thread, you mean what exactly? Is that one of the really old threads from the old DGR site? Or something else? And what is the thread link/name for the one you are referring too, so I can go back and read that please?

Those old forum posts on DGR from 2010-2012 with Blake T and all those guys have SO much great info in them. I've read about half of them so far, and keep finding all sorts of amazing nuggets of info in there.

And are there any dynamic drills or ways to work on this idea of disc lag, or keeping your hand on the outside of the disc with the elbow forward of the shoulder? And in your guys individual experiences, how long did it take you to go from knowing about this idea and practicing it, until you were able to do it finally do it, and then do it fairly consistently and see that big jump in distance? And more importantly easy distance.

I remember when I finally learned about lag in the golf swing and the golf pro showed me videos of what it was, it took maybe 3-4 months one summer of 3-4 times a week range practice to get it down to a fairly repeatable part of my swing. It was like I had FINALLY found the Magic of the golf swing and remember just pounding balls so far with literally half the effort and realized all the hard work had finally paid off.

I'm looking for that in the disc golf swing and still haven't found it after tons of practice. So any tips or sharing of thoughts on your personal experience of finding IT, is much appreciated!

Thanks guys for your replies so far
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-23-2019, 03:56 PM
tylerc's Avatar
tylerc tylerc is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: nc
Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 74
Posts: 1,281
Niced 146 Times in 109 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWookie View Post
And are there any dynamic drills or ways to work on this idea of disc lag, or keeping your hand on the outside of the disc with the elbow forward of the shoulder? And in your guys individual experiences, how long did it take you to go from knowing about this idea and practicing it, until you were able to do it finally do it, and then do it fairly consistently and see that big jump in distance? And more importantly easy distance.
Imo the best to thing to do is field work and before every 2 or 3 throw do a slow motion throw without throwing to get your body lined up. After 50 or so throws video yourself to see if you are improving. Focus on 1 change at a time. It took me several hours of field work to dial it in and it was more natural. Now I dont play as much and have to think about it more often. I still feel I drop my elbow down sometimes and dont lead as well with it.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-24-2019, 12:45 AM
sidewinder22's Avatar
sidewinder22 sidewinder22 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Creeping Creek DGC
Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 220
Posts: 15,144
Niced 2,890 Times in 1,764 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWookie View Post
When you say OG thread, you mean what exactly? Is that one of the really old threads from the old DGR site? Or something else? And what is the thread link/name for the one you are referring too, so I can go back and read that please?

Those old forum posts on DGR from 2010-2012 with Blake T and all those guys have SO much great info in them. I've read about half of them so far, and keep finding all sorts of amazing nuggets of info in there.

And are there any dynamic drills or ways to work on this idea of disc lag, or keeping your hand on the outside of the disc with the elbow forward of the shoulder? And in your guys individual experiences, how long did it take you to go from knowing about this idea and practicing it, until you were able to do it finally do it, and then do it fairly consistently and see that big jump in distance? And more importantly easy distance.

I remember when I finally learned about lag in the golf swing and the golf pro showed me videos of what it was, it took maybe 3-4 months one summer of 3-4 times a week range practice to get it down to a fairly repeatable part of my swing. It was like I had FINALLY found the Magic of the golf swing and remember just pounding balls so far with literally half the effort and realized all the hard work had finally paid off.

I'm looking for that in the disc golf swing and still haven't found it after tons of practice. So any tips or sharing of thoughts on your personal experience of finding IT, is much appreciated!

Thanks guys for your replies so far
The OG "Right Pec" thread:
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/f...630fe74876ebdd

I mostly thought about just leveraging the disc like a hammer with the handle/thumb pointed away from target and weighted end opposite the thumb hammered/thrown/leveraged out to target repelled away from body. The weighted end of the hammer/disc will lag straight behind your acceleration.

Perpetually Swinging everything like a inside out pendulum/hammer back and forth and shifting weight back in balance are the best IMO.

I never really had a huge jump in distance, often 10-20' although I was usually just throwing putters/mids. I did have a couple huge jumps in efficiency which is what really lead to more distance down the road refining things. Throwing the disc like a hammer was the first efficiency jump and increased distance over span about 4 months lots of practice and hit plateau, and then using my lower body properly/balance which takes practice lots of practice to make it natural.

Niced: (1)

Last edited by sidewinder22; 10-24-2019 at 12:48 AM.
Reply With Quote
 

  #10  
Old 10-24-2019, 02:09 PM
UhhNegative UhhNegative is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Courses Played: 48
Posts: 692
Niced 231 Times in 176 Posts
Default



If your arm isn't lagging, you're using too much muscle.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Right hand back hand form critique needed please BGrice Form Analysis/Critique 5 04-25-2018 12:01 AM
Increasing Hand Speed - Golf Article Trevdor Technique & Strategy 2 07-18-2015 08:59 PM
Reptilian Disc Golf: Hand picked stack. $50 jcassidy1990 Commercial Marketplace 5 11-18-2014 10:13 PM
left hand backhand vs right hand forehand tomte Technique & Strategy 25 03-03-2014 05:59 PM
Switching to left hand back hand FriedInTheDesert Bag Suggestions & Feedback 3 11-02-2013 06:50 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.