Old 10-27-2019, 11:10 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.7
Courses Played: 692
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,687 Times in 766 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigga View Post
I guess this is a bit of-topic, but it struck me, as I couldn't imagine it was a thing..
Sponsored players, much less Sponsored pros, having to pay their own reg fees for a tournament?
That blew my mind a little, that they would have to deal with coughing up reg fees as they travel the country week to week putting their sponsors wares on display..
I know there are many levels of "sponsorship" but I had, incorrectly apparently, assumed along with discs, a bag or some clothes, etc, paying the fees to get their players into tournaments and seen by the widest possible audience would be a "no-brainer" for a company.
In fact, I would've thought that's some of what a team manager/owner did. Made sure their players were signed up, paid reg fees, etc, so their players driving around the country all season weren't having to deal with all that.

Wow, eye-opener for sure.
It shouldn't be surprising. It's the nature of being independent contractors versus employees. Typically, a contractor is responsible to pay expenses, some which may be reimbursed and others that are not. Their sponsor contract specifies what items are reimbursable.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 10-27-2019, 11:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 53
Niced 4,390 Times in 2,316 Posts

Another thing some people might be missing when they bash someone for maybe not having entry fees on hand when registration opens for an event, is that these guys/gals are playing what 15-20(for some of the road warriors, its more like 25-30) events that they need to pre-reg for...

That's a couple grand that they would have tied up in fees.
Old 10-27-2019, 11:32 PM

Courses Played: 9
Niced 18 Times in 8 Posts

If they are touring full time, it's kind of their job to save enough money for entry fees. They know a year ahead of time roughly what next years entry fees will be. If they can't swing it or don't save that money, then perhaps touring isn't for them.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-28-2019, 05:11 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 517 Times in 216 Posts

Guys and Gals,
This seems like a bit of a thread drift, so allow me to apologize for adding to it.
But...
I am 61 years old and have several children who are about the age of a lot of the guys and gals who tour.
My advice to my children was to pursue their dreams while they were young, and if that meant doing something risky - then better to do it at 25 than wonder what it might have been like after they get my age.
I am not surprised that these kids and young adults have problems paying bills and managing money and scheduling. I sure did when I was their age.
It's an adventure and a life experience they'll be able to recall for the rest of their lives.
Some of them will make it and thrive, many will not.
So, for the love of disc golf, cut them a break.
Let them be young, live their dreams and show a little compassion.
/thread drift.

Old 10-28-2019, 09:06 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 523
Niced 153 Times in 72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
I've been apart of leagues for the past 5-6 years and not a single one of them was douchey or entitled enough to expect a public course to be closed for them.
I've seen some.
Old 10-28-2019, 03:13 PM
*Administrator*

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 133
Niced 751 Times in 395 Posts

I should join a league again...been years since I was in one

When I was in, we often played without much or any casual player presence at all... it was typically smaller and way less popular courses, but that is a consequence of there being zero high quality courses in or around Chicago. YMMV
Old 10-28-2019, 03:51 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 36
Courses Played: 2
Niced 81 Times in 48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcAtee View Post
I've seen some.
I don't know of any either. Generally people respect leagues and start on holes where they won't interfere.
Old 10-28-2019, 04:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.6
Courses Played: 248
Niced 1,740 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgolfconvert View Post
I don't know of any either. Generally people respect leagues and start on holes where they won't interfere.
Allow me to tell a story. It is of a course in Michigan that is going to shortly get pulled. One of the said reasons for the municipality pulling the course was an incident between an entitled disc golfer and some members of the track cross country community.

Apparently, the park is used by the local high school cross country teams on Saturday mornings for cross country meets. A golfer took umbrage at his game being disrupted by this and interfered with some of the competitors and took up his complaint with the coaches/school administrators at the meet. His contention was that the park was a disc golf first area, disc golf occupying the space 7 days a week, sunrise to sunset. He paid taxes and had every right to play where he wanted and when he wanted.

I am sure that you would not interfere with casuals and obviously are not going to get in someones face, but I was hoping this tale would drive home the pitfalls of entitlement. We are, nearly always, in a public park with both casual player and often many more folks. (dog walkers, hikers, bird watchers, picnickers, sunbathers, geocachers, pokemon go'ers....) We need to embrace, respect and accommodate all of these park users. Failing to do so...even one time can cost the park the course.

Casuals in league time are an opportunity here. They are treated great, invited to join, play through and are given royal treatment. We want them as club members, league members and advocates of sportsmanship and fair play.

Old 10-28-2019, 05:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 87
Niced 1,832 Times in 745 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Allow me to tell a story. It is of a course in Michigan that is going to shortly get pulled. One of the said reasons for the municipality pulling the course was an incident between an entitled disc golfer and some members of the track cross country community.

Apparently, the park is used by the local high school cross country teams on Saturday mornings for cross country meets. A golfer took umbrage at his game being disrupted by this and interfered with some of the competitors and took up his complaint with the coaches/school administrators at the meet. His contention was that the park was a disc golf first area, disc golf occupying the space 7 days a week, sunrise to sunset. He paid taxes and had every right to play where he wanted and when he wanted.

I am sure that you would not interfere with casuals and obviously are not going to get in someones face, but I was hoping this tale would drive home the pitfalls of entitlement. We are, nearly always, in a public park with both casual player and often many more folks. (dog walkers, hikers, bird watchers, picnickers, sunbathers, geocachers, pokemon go'ers....) We need to embrace, respect and accommodate all of these park users. Failing to do so...even one time can cost the park the course.

Casuals in league time are an opportunity here. They are treated great, invited to join, play through and are given royal treatment. We want them as club members, league members and advocates of sportsmanship and fair play.
This post should be a sticky. In its own thread so it stays right at the top of this forum all the time.

With my crew I emphasize this mentality of sharing the park. With everyone. When non dg'ers get in our way we just ask politely for them to move for 5 minutes while we play through and if there are kids I make sure they have an opportunity to "try out" one of my putters and if I have extras on me they get a mini. It is entirely possible to share the course. It may take a few minutes extra to play but who cares? Isn't it just more fun to get along with everyone?

Old 10-28-2019, 05:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 29.6
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,748 Times in 566 Posts

No way to remember all the times we've let casuals play through during a weekly. We let them know the situation, give them an invite for next time and then sit back and patiently wait a few while they play the hole. Hardly an inconvenience.