Old 10-31-2019, 10:49 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 27
Niced 542 Times in 223 Posts

This may seem a stupid question but I cam't find the answer.

How do you do an effective Tick search?

I don't even really know what I'm looking for as stupid as it sounds, I'm not sure I've ever seen a tick. I'm designing courses in remote areas all over the country populated by deer and am sure to pick up some ticks along the way. Apparently tick borne encephalitis is now here in the UK too which is great. If I had a tick I'm not sure how/If I would identify it? Are they obvious? I've got hairy legs and other hairy areas, do you spot them easily in those areas or am I going to have to drop and bend in front of my wife for a thorough check every time I get home (I'm not sure our marriage will survive!)

So the question, how do you perform a tick check? How do you make sure you haven't missed one? If I have a bath/shower will they come off if they haven't attached yet?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2019, 11:08 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 28
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 38 Times in 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhatton1 View Post

I don't even really know what I'm looking for as stupid as it sounds, I'm not sure I've ever seen a tick. I'm designing courses in remote areas all over the country populated by deer and am sure to pick up some ticks along the way. Apparently tick borne encephalitis is now here in the UK too which is great. If I had a tick I'm not sure how/If I would identify it? Are they obvious? I've got hairy legs and other hairy areas, do you spot them easily in those areas or am I going to have to drop and bend in front of my wife for a thorough check every time I get home (I'm not sure our marriage will survive!)

So the question, how do you perform a tick check? How do you make sure you haven't missed one? If I have a bath/shower will they come off if they haven't attached yet?
I get the wife to look at ALL of the areas that I can’t see closely on my own.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-31-2019, 11:21 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 132
Niced 605 Times in 287 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhatton1 View Post

Old 10-31-2019, 02:16 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 63 Times in 35 Posts

I usually feel ticks crawling before I see them. Unless they are larva (you don't need to worry about larva) you can usually spot them easily. If they reach your head they're easy to miss.

Lyme can be a real problem but ticks aren't quite as terrifying as some seem to believe. If you're outside often in areas with a tick population, especially off trail or in weeds or leaf litter, you will get ticks on you. Some of them will bite you. You can worry about this as little or as much as you want and the practical results will probably be the same. I have been bitten hundreds of times and will be bitten hundreds more. I simply do my best to avoid leaving them attached, remember the symptoms of serious illness, and don't worry about it.

I also suspect (not know) that lyme is overdiagnosed.
Old 10-31-2019, 03:16 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 68
Niced 145 Times in 80 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armus Patheticus View Post
I usually feel ticks crawling before I see them. Unless they are larva (you don't need to worry about larva) you can usually spot them easily. If they reach your head they're easy to miss.

Lyme can be a real problem but ticks aren't quite as terrifying as some seem to believe. If you're outside often in areas with a tick population, especially off trail or in weeds or leaf litter, you will get ticks on you. Some of them will bite you. You can worry about this as little or as much as you want and the practical results will probably be the same. I have been bitten hundreds of times and will be bitten hundreds more. I simply do my best to avoid leaving them attached, remember the symptoms of serious illness, and don't worry about it.

I also suspect (not know) that lyme is overdiagnosed.
You're lucky you don't live in the northeast. Around here the most common ticks are deer ticks and dog ticks. Out of the deer ticks, about 30% of them carry lyme (see ticklab.org). So based on your numbers you'd almost certainly have gotten it by now. But it's pretty rare in Ohio/Kentucky.

Old 10-31-2019, 03:39 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamis View Post
You're lucky you don't live in the northeast. Around here the most common ticks are deer ticks and dog ticks. Out of the deer ticks, about 30% of them carry lyme (see ticklab.org). So based on your numbers you'd almost certainly have gotten it by now. But it's pretty rare in Ohio/Kentucky.
I don't know much about where Lyme is or isn't but I do know deer ticks from dog ticks and have been bitten often by both, including in Pennsylvania, Vermont, and Maine. Perhaps I should have been or have been infected by now, but I don't think so.

My point is not that Lyme isn't real or serious but that yanking the suckers off and maintaining a calm and accurate and reasonable awareness of risk and symptoms seems adequate. I don't care for overreaction.
Old 10-31-2019, 04:23 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 24
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 269 Times in 140 Posts

Quote:
I don't know much about where Lyme is or isn't but I do know deer ticks from dog ticks and have been bitten often by both, including in Pennsylvania, Vermont, and Maine. Perhaps I should have been or have been infected by now, but I don't think so.

My point is not that Lyme isn't real or serious but that yanking the suckers off and maintaining a calm and accurate and reasonable awareness of risk and symptoms seems adequate. I don't care for overreaction.
Pretty sure youre not supposed to "yank" them off. Those little buggers burrow their heads in. When you "yank" them off, usually their heads stay behind. Causing more problems than just Lyme.

And you're wrong, Lyme IS real AND serious.

Old 10-31-2019, 04:28 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiflyer View Post

And you're wrong, Lyme IS real AND serious.
Read it again brotherman
Old 10-31-2019, 04:33 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 24
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 269 Times in 140 Posts

Quote:
Read it again brotherman

Ok. I stand corrected.
The use of double negatives makes me want to post in the irrational upsetness thread.

Old 10-31-2019, 04:40 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiflyer View Post
Ok. I stand corrected.
The use of double negatives makes me want to post in the irrational upsetness thread.
"Never leave I love you left unsaid"

What do you make of this line from a recent "country" "music" production?