Old 11-04-2019, 06:02 PM

Years Playing: 0.3
Courses Played: 5
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 20 Times in 11 Posts

In case this is helpful to other noobs, I did find that discing down until I found a neutral enough, light enough, and slow enough driver has helped tremendously with my consistency. I only gained about 10' on my throw this week, but it turns over a little and gets a real flight. This should be obvious and I'm only confirming what literally everyone says, but it's right and it's worth saying again.

Learning to step out a bit to the left with my lead foot (RHBH) has also improved my game instantly. Less effort required to throw just as far, with more reliable aim.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 11-04-2019, 06:34 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 53
Niced 333 Times in 202 Posts

discing down is your friend! you'll start to throw farther with a slower disc. have fun!

Niced: (1)
Old 11-07-2019, 06:33 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 23.3
Courses Played: 65
Niced 626 Times in 298 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco40 View Post
Do people ever keep journal-type entries on this site? I don't see any but maybe I've missed something.

It would be nice to put down thoughts while getting through these noob stages of development, to maybe inspire or amuse others and to have something to reflect on. But it seems like this is not part of the vibe of the site. Would the noob forum be appropriate for something like this?
I use my thread in the “bag suggestions and feedback” sub. I should be more diligent with it.

Old 11-10-2019, 04:50 PM

Just a quick note on a piece of progress that I want to write down.

I've started being able to control the trajectory of my shots better, by paying attention to the nose of my disc as I approach. I can now start all of my discs on an anhyzer, though adding this wrinkle has made early and late releases a problem again. But that's totally fine. Tweaking one thing should be expected to throw me off for a while.

I don't know what the secret to getting some distance on a spike hyzer is, but I can't throw them far! I did park one today to par a certain hole for the first time, which felt awesome. But seriously, it goes like 120 feet max for me, though it's a surprisingly accurate shot in certain situations and I'm glad to have access to it now.

So, two new shot types this week. Feels great. I also beat my best 9 hole score by 5 shots (okay, it only was a 45 on a par 32, but still I'll take it!)

Less worried about throwing far now. I've accepted that I'm going to throw about 200' from the tee for now, and about 180' from the fairway. It's getting more interesting now that I can plan my shots in advance, playing tighter position now instead of just trying to keep it on one side of the fairway or another.

Old 11-10-2019, 10:20 PM

Courses Played: 17
Niced 15 Times in 10 Posts

Good to hear progress is being made. It's true that changing one thing enough will throw off other aspects. But it if you keep at it, the quality and/or distance of your shots should improve. I have found that the farther I can throw in general, the better I can throw a spike hyzer, but not as far. You are going to lose horizontal distance [to the basket] in favor of vertical distance [to get over trees]. So form and arm speed is the key.

Keep it up and the progress will come. I started shooting a 75 on a local intermediate course about a year ago and now I can shoot at or closer to 54. To me, when you typed "It's getting more interesting now", means the game should be a bit more enjoyable now mentally until you figure out the physical part. Then you keep repeating the process.

Old 11-16-2019, 09:18 PM

Couple more things to write down while I'm stoked.

A few days back was my first snow round. Ski gloves between shots, digging snow out of disc rims. Great stuff. I really enjoyed it and played great, beating my PB at my home course again by 3 shots, absolutely parked a tricky par 3 and made my first birdie, then nailed a 50-60 foot blind putt around a huge tree. The cold conditions were fun and challenging, making me think a lot more.

Then today I inexplicably threw a monster (for me) with my Star TL. It was my first true "snap" and was longer than any previous throw even with it stopping dead on a tree, which it hit with significant velocity. A very different feeling through the arm, and a very different disc flight, much straighter than usual, and turned later and faded slower, so that as it faded it was still cooking pretty fast (that isn't how my 's' shots fly, normally at the fade the disc is very slow). So cool. I didn't throw very well today and my putting was terrible, but had a blast.

New disc, Champion Leopard. This is the real deal, holy crap. Now I get why people tell noobs to throw these. Bought a second Luna and I should get more, so I'll be tempted to throw extra putts. It's also pretty awesome for anything within 120' imo.

Working hard on keeping the nose down on approach when I drive. The distance is coming by accident, Nice!

Cheers to all the noobs out there, and to those who tolerate us ♥

Last edited by disco40; 11-16-2019 at 09:20 PM.
Old 11-17-2019, 03:46 AM

Nice to hear some progress being made. I have a Star Leopard [got an ace with it on a 240' hole during last winter] and a regularly throw a Champ Leopard 3 for fairly straight wooded holes. Remember, the distance is coming by working at it!

Old 11-29-2019, 02:27 AM

My second month of disc golf has been just as nice as my first! I'm really hooked now, and "healthy obsession" is still the best descriptor.

On Throwing Further

It was my main concern last time so I'll address that first. My distance has really improved this month. I'm sometimes getting them out to 275' now (and much further on a few occasions), having found some "snap" and keeping the nose down better. It doesn't have anything to do with throwing harder, just getting the snap and the timing. In some ways, a longer throw feels like it takes less effort, presumably because my longer throws are balanced affairs where no one part of my motion requires extra oomph, and there is no disproportionate force felt anywhere in my body. There is no longer any inadequacy-type worry about distance in my mind.

I'm relieved to know for sure that those distance barriers will be overcome by technique, which sounds totally obvious, but it really doesn't feel obvious when you can't throw far!

Putting is Hard

Last month, I had no real relationship with putting, just an "aim small, miss small" approach. Now I'm trying to develop a form, and must decide between a McBeth style or a K. Jones style. Both are beautiful motions. I'm a bit lower to the ground so I may prefer starting with a straddle putt. For now I'm throwing a wobbly, weak hyzer sort of putt that is unrefined. I get lots of rollaways, and I believe that is due to my putts not coming in as flat as they should be. I've not practiced much, so I can't complain, but I need to practice a lot.

I still am not smooth and consistent enough for anything longer than about 10 feet to be a "gimme." I miss a lot of 15 footers. I've made some pretty sick ones from up to 100', but that's mostly luck at this point; some of those will go in.

Getting Lots of Pars

During my first month, getting a par felt great. Now I par holes quite often, despite my home course not having many short holes (only two par 3s are reachable for me). A good round for me is "bogey golf" now, which is about 5 shots fewer than a month ago, so I feel the progress here is objectively good.

One Area of Regression

I've begun disregarding my own mantra about staying over the shot, and letting the internal reaction wash over me, holding the finishing position when appropriate and getting visual and physical feedback. Oops! I really need to get back on track here. About 50 percent of the time, I don't linger over my shot. Time to bring that habit back and make it stick again. Even if I know immediately after the shot leaves my hand whether it's perfect or terrible, I shouldn't react. That is extremely valuable feedback I'm ignoring.

Techniques are Starting to Come

I have no forehand. It feels completely alien, and even painful. I will maybe try it next month.

For now, I'm working on developing some control on my anhyzer releases, and adding a (very short) spike hyzer. I'm also a fan of a really whippy sharp backhand with faster discs, for certain kinds of tight lies. Beginning to incorporate rollers for trouble spots, but it's super awkward and sometimes fails hilariously.

I'm not sure what the name for this sort of shank is, but sometimes I'll sort of come over the top of my throw (if that makes sense), and my disc does a short nosedive to the right instead of getting up and gliding. I would guess it's a combination of too much anhyzer and the nose being down? That's the feeling anyway, but I'm not sure.

I don't understand what a hyzer flip is. Any time I have a hyzer release, it just goes left and doesn't level out or turn over. To turn the disc right, I have to start it flat or on anhyzer.

Injury Free...Mostly

I definitely feel it in my back and knees some days, but I'm 40 so that's how it goes no matter what. I've incorporated 20-40 minutes a day of stretching into my daily routine, and they're all stretches suggested for people with a bulging disc and/or sciatica. The stretching seems to be helping my back, especially the lower spine. I'm paying a lot of attention to my hip flexors and upper butt muscles too. The torque that disc golf can put on the spine is real. Arm is holding up fine, thankfully, though I did tear a rib a bit (not serious, just nagging).

Those are my thoughts this month. Lots of progress, still a ton of major things to begin understanding.

Old 11-29-2019, 04:25 AM

Good to hear the progress is continuing. I can relate to the fact that when you throw far, it usually doesn't take that much effort, but form and timing. I can easily throw a 200' bad throw that is physically harder than a 330' parked near a basket.

After about a year, I have finally settled on a general putting style and found a putter [DD Warden] that seems to work well for me. I was in the zone for about a week or two were I was making 40-50' that didn't seem that hard. This week has been slightly different.

I relate to your area of regression as I don't watch my bad shots either. I think the reason is that it's hard for me to know why some of them are bad. I have a bad issue of early releasing and without video evidence or someone knowledgable watching me, it's a guessing game.

Regarding your "shank", it's probably what you mentioned and maybe having your reach back a little too high and you bring it down a bit too much? I actually had a shot like that this week and it wasn't a pretty drive.

A true hyzer shot [right hand back hand] should have the disc going from a lower reach back to a higher release while bent at the waist. It usually involves a back left to a front right line if you are doing an x-step. It usually involves an overstable disc for your "arm speed".

A hyzer flip should probably be thrown like a flat shot, but slightly bent at the waist. You are still reach "straight" back and following flatter than a true hyzer shot. You are usually going in a "straight" line down the tee pad. You should use a disc that can flip/turn right for you.

The purpose of a hyzer flip isn't really to make the disc flight to the right. Its purpose is to make a disc that would normally turn to the right go straight. This happens when you release on that "slight" hyzer angle and the disc turns from that angle into a "flat" angle while it's turning or flipping over.

If done properly you can make a disc with no fade go very straight [Innova Mako3 or DD Warrant for me] or a disc with little fade [Innova Leopard3 or Lattitude 64 River] go very straight and then fade a little at the end.

You might want to watch this Physics of Flight video [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGzv7dUYeuA] about the nine basic shot shapes you can make. It helped me to understand what you can do and the terminology as well.

Old 11-29-2019, 11:06 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 45
Niced 584 Times in 298 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco40 View Post
Injury Free...Mostly

I definitely feel it in my back and knees some days, but I'm 40 so that's how it goes no matter what. I've incorporated 20-40 minutes a day of stretching into my daily routine, and they're all stretches suggested for people with a bulging disc and/or sciatica. The stretching seems to be helping my back, especially the lower spine. I'm paying a lot of attention to my hip flexors and upper butt muscles too. The torque that disc golf can put on the spine is real. Arm is holding up fine, thankfully, though I did tear a rib a bit (not serious, just nagging).

Those are my thoughts this month. Lots of progress, still a ton of major things to begin understanding.
I am 40 as well. Stretching has become necessary before I play, especially hips, shoulders and hamstrings. Disc golf only puts torque on the spine if you have poor form. I use to have occasional lower back issues but have felt great over the last couple of years as my form has improved and my hips have loosened up.