Old 11-12-2019, 11:54 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 1,983 Times in 470 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keller View Post
I'm very well aware that I can unsubscribe from social media and indeed have done so. I'ts just not my thing. Maybe just an age thing, but I find it pretty juvenile and tedious.

Being part of the social media, you obviously have to cover you a$$, no problem there, but, not everyone, (and this is just a guess from my observations) gives a rats behind about it. It's a fickle market and the latest and greatest can change over night. DD could just as easily go through what Prodigy did, from everybody should get on the bus to no one cares.

And I am not an internet troll "thank you very much". And I have seen the backlash, and that may just be a regional thing, but around me, people are pretty sick of the DD fan boys. Social media can't replace being social in the real world. Most people just want to play disc golf, not spend a round hearing all the nonsense.

DD just seems to be catering to one market, and i'm not in that market. If they help grow the sport, fine, more power to them. I used to throw quiet a bit off DD stuff, but I have since traded it all away, I want no part of the class clown, attention seeking cult mentality. Again, that may just be a regional thing. So take that with a grain of salt.
Maybe it is just the people you play with? I have played with my fair share of young people who get a low level sponsorship and can't shut up about it. Way back from the Innova vs. Discraft days.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 11-12-2019, 11:56 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 115
Niced 291 Times in 142 Posts

Quote:
I'm very well aware that I can unsubscribe from social media and indeed have done so. I'ts just not my thing. Maybe just an age thing, but I find it pretty juvenile and tedious.

Being part of the social media, you obviously have to cover you a$$, no problem there, but, not everyone, (and this is just a guess from my observations) gives a rats behind about it. It's a fickle market and the latest and greatest can change over night. DD could just as easily go through what Prodigy did, from everybody should get on the bus to no one cares.

And I am not an internet troll "thank you very much". And I have seen the backlash, and that may just be a regional thing, but around me, people are pretty sick of the DD fan boys. Social media can't replace being social in the real world. Most people just want to play disc golf, not spend a round hearing all the nonsense.

DD just seems to be catering to one market, and i'm not in that market. If they help grow the sport, fine, more power to them. I used to throw quiet a bit off DD stuff, but I have since traded it all away, I want no part of the class clown, attention seeking cult mentality. Again, that may just be a regional thing. So take that with a grain of salt.
I agree, for the most part. I throw a mixed bag, mainly Innova and Discraft, but also have a couple Latitudes and an MVP. This being said, one thing I can say for DD, at least where I live, the DD "fanboys" are VERY loyal. Almost cultish, as you say.

Niced: (2)
Old 11-12-2019, 12:30 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,626 Times in 719 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistabman View Post
So are you actually playing rounds with AJ Risley or what?

Cause that would be pretty cool...
That would be my disc golf nightmare. He is my least favorite pro disc golfer; and that's putting mildly.

Old 11-12-2019, 12:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 46
Niced 4,362 Times in 1,824 Posts

Quote:
That would be my disc golf nightmare. He is my least favorite pro disc golfer; and that's putting mildly.
I'm glad DD finally has Melton and Clemons...I really dig watching those guys disc and they seem like cool cats. Much better than Risley's asshatery or Choakley's tight pants.

Old 11-12-2019, 01:05 PM
Par Member

Niced 162 Times in 68 Posts

Quote:

OK BOOMER

Old 11-12-2019, 01:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 517 Times in 216 Posts

I've been playing for 10+ years and I have more discs at home than some retail stores.

One thing I've figured out is that...there is no magic disc.
Some may fit your arm speed or throwing style better than others, you may have confidence in this or that, but there is no magic disc or mold.

You want a Roc or a Firebird or a Destroyer or a TB?
Yeah, DD and Lat64 and Legacy and Discraft sells one of those, they just call it a different name.

At the beginning of the day, when you stand on the first tee, you still have to throw it.
And it will go where you threw it, no matter who made it and no matter what name is on it.
And if you can't throw a Roc on a line, then you can't throw a Truth, or a Wasp, or a whatever.

I appreciate the disc companies sponsoring Pros, and I will admit to buying the occasional disc because of hype and wanting to support the player.

But, if you're buying a disc to change your game and make you a better player,
save your money and go throw in a field.

Old 11-12-2019, 01:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.6
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,159 Times in 898 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
I'm glad DD finally has Melton
Zach is good people for sure.

Old 11-12-2019, 01:13 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 101
Niced 614 Times in 286 Posts

I am not subscribed to anything DD related, but still run into their drivel all the time. Whether it be Lindahl posting ever single one of this videos on reddit, chats during live feeds, or Risley acting like he won the lottery after making a 40 footer.

It's not unreasonable to get irritated with their brand. People should be able to express observations of companies without others acting like their opinion is keeping the sport from growing. This is one of the reasons why I prefer DGCR to reddit.

My first comment in this thread expressed my admiration for Clemons' play and attitude so it's not all negative for this company. They do have some positive things going but I'm not going to feel guilty for mine and others' exasperation.

Old 11-12-2019, 01:21 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 230
Niced 12 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltTooLong View Post
I am not subscribed to anything DD related, but still run into their drivel all the time. Whether it be Lindahl posting ever single one of this videos on reddit, chats during live feeds, or Risley acting like he won the lottery after making a 40 footer.

It's not unreasonable to get irritated with their brand. People should be able to express observations of companies without others acting like their opinion is keeping the sport from growing. This is one of the reasons why I prefer DGCR to reddit.
Same with Jomez...

Old 11-12-2019, 01:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.6
Courses Played: 209
Niced 316 Times in 170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
I watch ALOT of discgolf. . but i still have no idea what Nikko has been throwing in 2019. .

I have a few "nikko wizards and Magics" but most of the discs i see him throw have odd or no stamp

So whats in "Nikkos mixed bag of mystery" ??
Nikko throws whatever he likes. He isn't married to any one disc (his putting putter is probably the only disc he puts any thought into, and likely for the wrong reason). He has probably the best angle and spin control out of anybody on tour, which allows him to throw a much larger variety of shots than most people are limited to. Notice how he prefers to throw a shallow flex with a driver to land it flat/soft instead of throwing a putter or a mid. Why? No idea. He can pump Wizards to 400 so there's no reason to throw a much more complicated shot, but he does it and he does it well. My buddy played a tournament with Nikko where he threw a 450+ ft late turnover into a headwind. He threw a 168g champ Tern with a nose up airbounce to get it to ride and flip very late. Mind blowing stuff.

Long post on my part, but the point is he just throws whatever he feels like and he has no problem throwing a new disc in the bag if it means he can get some money for doing so. He'll figure out how to make it work so he's not worried about it.

Closed Thread