Old 11-12-2019, 05:57 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 63 Times in 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
You still churn butter by hand, Arm? Or do you buy the prepackaged sticks?
I have churned butter. My wife enjoyed making butter and mozzarella. At present I do not have a milk animal or any livestock at all, traveling too much to care for them. I buy my butter from my neighbors who make it.

If you search long enough you'll surely find a way that I am a hypocrite or a coward. I'm trying to do my best.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 11-12-2019, 06:58 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.8
Courses Played: 140
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 419 Times in 186 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armus Patheticus View Post
Productivity. What is being produced? By what standard is the produce judged? The productive and convenient life you describe is (with no intention to insult anyone) to me, a horrible nightmare.

What do you do with your family time? Have you considered the possibility that your conveniences are only permitting you to live a lifestyle that is unhealthy?

I know of no way to say the things I mean without sounding haughty or condescending. I find enormous fault with what is called "normal" life in this place and time, not because I am a contrarian but because I have made enough comparisons to see the faults.

The potential for phones to be good tools within a certain (though unhealthy) context is undeniable (and unimpressive).
Thanks for saying these things respectfully.

I don't particularly care for the world we live in. Mostly, I don't care for the people. But, the culture and what is prioritized in America is also troubling.

The (unfortunate) responsibility of having offspring means you have to set the example for how you want the world to be seen through their eyes.

Is it "right" to teach children to be so authentic to their emotions that they create hardship for themselves, or to pick their battles and forfeit the "right" thing in the name of the greater good? To me, the world has always been a place where you can find negativity or a silver lining. Generally, you find what you're looking for.

If you are finding negativity, perhaps a shift in focus would help. That said, smartphones are no more dangerous than automatic weapons - it all depends on whose holding which weapon...

Old 11-12-2019, 07:09 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 35
Niced 180 Times in 74 Posts

Quote:
I have churned butter. My wife enjoyed making butter and mozzarella. At present I do not have a milk animal or any livestock at all, traveling too much to care for them. I buy my butter from my neighbors who make it.

If you search long enough you'll surely find a way that I am a hypocrite or a coward. I'm trying to do my best.
Mr. Patheticus, please don't take the bait. Unless you just feel like it.

No one should have to explain themselves or apologize for seeing something - anything - and taking a hard pass. Who the eff are you people?

Man.

This place is... kinda the pits.

It seems like there's always someone who'll take exception to damn near any proclamation, profession, or predilection. (This is a literary device called 'alliteration,' you Philistines. No pomposity intended - or required. It's just fun.)

Someone says, "My life is better without a smartphone." And someone else asks, "How is it better?"

This is not actual curiosity. It's someone who's heard it before, and can't wait to argue about it. It's a setup.

Someone else says, "I'd prefer not to drive a car." And then he's presented with the image of "...scissors on the lawn..."

Reductio ad absurdum. Some of you have it really bad. Are there not enough pointless arguments in the world, and aaaaaallllll up in our various media, without our adding to it?

Jumpin' Jesus on a pogo stick.

Armus, I'll help you churn some butter any time, sir. There may again come a time when we'll NEED that skill.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-12-2019, 07:20 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 19.5
Courses Played: 61
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 257 Times in 152 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova P View Post
This thread is now about repurposing old smartphones into music players, tiny tablets, dashcams, camcorders, and game emulators. Go!
And now...on to Homesteading.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:45 PM
Par Member

Niced 110 Times in 58 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthRocker View Post
This is not actual curiosity. It's someone who's heard it before, and can't wait to argue about it. It's a setup.
I can only speak on my behalf, but for my argument, this is wrong.

Technology is like a language and it is growing rapidly. If you choose to ignore it (not owning a smartphone), than at some point you will be left behind. Seemingly everyone will be using a language you don't understand and it will put you at a disadvantage.

My argument for owning a smartphone isn't to simply have an argument. It is to show someone that they aren't learning certain skills that will be required in the near future.

Learning technology as we advance through the age of technology will benefit your life. I present you this information not because I have an agenda, but because it is helpful.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 29.6
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,737 Times in 561 Posts

Quote:

I have a vision of you as a modern Grizzly Patheticus. Homesteading, living off the land. Dan Haggerty poster on your childhood wall.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 29.6
Courses Played: 67
Niced 1,737 Times in 561 Posts

Quote:

No one should have to explain themselves or apologize for seeing something - anything - and taking a hard pass. Who the eff are you people?

Man.

It seems like there's always someone who'll take exception to damn near any proclamation, profession, or predilection. (This is a literary device called 'alliteration,' you Philistines. No pomposity intended - or required. It's just fun.)

Someone says, "My life is better without a smartphone." And someone else asks, "How is it better?"

Someone else says, "I'd prefer not to drive a car." And then he's presented with the image of "...scissors on the lawn..."

Reductio ad absurdum. Some of you have it really bad. Are there not enough pointless arguments in the world, and aaaaaallllll up in our various media, without our adding to it?

Armus, I'll help you churn some butter any time, sir. There may again come a time when we'll NEED that skill.
Wow. Didn't know anyone could be wordier than Arm and Woj. Congrats!
Old 11-12-2019, 11:28 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 24
Courses Played: 23
Niced 269 Times in 140 Posts

Quote:

Man.

Did you quote yourself in that post?
Old 11-12-2019, 11:46 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 63 Times in 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateWesternSky View Post
I can only speak on my behalf, but for my argument, this is wrong.

Technology is like a language and it is growing rapidly. If you choose to ignore it (not owning a smartphone), than at some point you will be left behind. Seemingly everyone will be using a language you don't understand and it will put you at a disadvantage.

My argument for owning a smartphone isn't to simply have an argument. It is to show someone that they aren't learning certain skills that will be required in the near future.

Learning technology as we advance through the age of technology will benefit your life. I present you this information not because I have an agenda, but because it is helpful.
"How you have helped the powerless!
How you have strengthened the pathetic arms!
What greatness of advice given to the one lacking wisdom!
How generously you have revealed your abundant practicality!"

-A sarcastic voice of back yonder

Left behind?! Ha

Do I wish to keep up?

I do not.

Technology cannot demand anything of me now or in any future. The skills that I care about involve love and clearsightedness and fidelity and work and patience and joy, not maintaining an advantage in a repugnant world by sharing in its sickness.

Old 11-13-2019, 07:43 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,152 Times in 895 Posts

Opportunity cost works more than one way and each individual can decide which ways apply to them and act accordingly. Yeehaw for personal choice.