Old 11-13-2019, 10:40 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 176 Times in 92 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by araytx View Post
MY question was about how it relates to 813.02.
as in, you are asking if writing notes on a disc constitutes a "device that directly assists in making a throw"?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2019, 10:49 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 154 Times in 84 Posts

Quote:
MY question was about how it relates to 813.02.
Words on a disc are providing information. 'Device' to my mind means something that works physically.

A player could have have a motivational lecture playing through ear buds. They could have a flash card with the words 'you are a tiger' printed on it, that they pull out of their top pocket every throw. They could employ a coach to whisper in their ear as they play.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 11-13-2019, 04:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 212
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 286 Times in 170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdeforge View Post
as in, you are asking if writing notes on a disc constitutes a "device that directly assists in making a throw"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesethin View Post
Words on a disc are providing information. 'Device' to my mind means something that works physically.

A player could have have a motivational lecture playing through ear buds. They could have a flash card with the words 'you are a tiger' printed on it, that they pull out of their top pocket every throw. They could employ a coach to whisper in their ear as they play.

That's definitely what I think. But I did have one guy say something like, "you're using that disc to line up the throw/putt and that can be called a violation."
Old 11-13-2019, 04:44 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
That's definitely what I think. But I did have one guy say something like, "you're using that disc to line up the throw/putt and that can be called a violation."
in your mind, is a caddie also potentially an illegal device?
does that one guy think that a marker disc is also a directional aid?

I love playing by the rules but I hate when people twist the fudge out of them

Niced: (2)
Old 11-13-2019, 07:56 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Dear 'one guy', when I need to line up a putt, I use.........[leans in and uses conspiratorial tone] the basket!

I know, my technical insight is breathtaking. I am so awesome.

Niced: (2)
Old 11-21-2019, 03:59 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 27
Niced 540 Times in 223 Posts

Quote:

I'm going to get a "you are a tiger" card printed for a time when we are on a card together. That bad boy is getting played all day.

Old 11-26-2019, 01:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 19
Niced 976 Times in 575 Posts

Quote:
I'm going to have to agree on that one. If your marker is already down, and you're placing ANYTHING on the ground in between your lie and the basket, that's 100% a rules violation in my book.
Old 11-26-2019, 02:49 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
I'm going to have to agree on that one. If your marker is already down, and you're placing ANYTHING on the ground in between your lie and the basket, that's 100% a rules violation in my book.
Which rule do you think is being violated?

Old 11-27-2019, 01:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 19
Niced 976 Times in 575 Posts

Quote:
Which rule do you think is being violated?

813.02 Illegal Device : Placing an object as a directional aid is not allowed. An item such as a towel or a pad may be placed on the lie as long as it is not greater than one centimeter in thickness when compressed.

The biggest question would be if the item is not greater than one centimeter in thickness when compressed. So if you put a disc in between your lie and the basket, ESPECIALLY for a putt or an approach shot where you just need to hit the line early on, I'm going to ask you to remove it. I would just give a warning the first time but the 2nd time, sure I'm calling it.

Old 11-27-2019, 03:01 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
813.02 Illegal Device : Placing an object as a directional aid is not allowed. An item such as a towel or a pad may be placed on the lie as long as it is not greater than one centimeter in thickness when compressed.

The biggest question would be if the item is not greater than one centimeter in thickness when compressed. So if you put a disc in between your lie and the basket, ESPECIALLY for a putt or an approach shot where you just need to hit the line early on, I'm going to ask you to remove it. I would just give a warning the first time but the 2nd time, sure I'm calling it.
I see a lot of pros and ams place their marker down and then put the previously thrown disc just in front of it. Is that the kind of thing you're talking about?