Old 11-01-2019, 12:19 AM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 74
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,067 Times in 688 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsammons View Post
Well its not a pretty one I can tell you that much haha.
Thats not a usual rip but it is one I managed to get; flat ground at etowah Park (cartersville GA area) I was throwing with a light headwind (3-4 MPH) and flipped it over too much on 17, a wide open 575 foot hole. Its a dogleg left after about 450; I ended up missing the dogleg so I went straight instead of the straight to left (think fly route instead of post route in football) and went 50 feet or so past the pin. Little bit of quick mental geometry roughed it at 525-550.

Thats a bigger throw than normal and I was throwing better than normal that day. Im coming off rotator cuff surgery and really kinda have terrible bracing and lower body/back movement but for whatever reason have some kind of wicked snap. Ive been playing about 3 months back since my surgery last year (started early August playing again for real) and just did my first tournament in a couple years. 20 years old if it matters haha. Ended up playing poorly because as far as I throw its wildly inconsistent. Im actively experimenting with my throwing motion trying to get it clean/tension free so I can hit better lines more consistently but yeah thats about it haha. Playing more practice rounds than any competitive rounds, a few friendly tossed in their bur moslty field work. Would honestly much rather throw 400 with clean honest form consistently than do what I do now; with a lot of natural snap it gets really easy to strongarm it and then totally disregard fluid motion. Hope that was at least worth the read!

As far as why Im just now deciding/realizing this, I grew tired of missing my lines all the time and knowing I was capable of more, and have only really played a few months since a couple years break. Played a tournament at North Georgia Canopy Tours and in tournament regularly tossed my straight to little fade Volt 400+, sometimes in the high 4s but that was downhill.

Is that from the new tee by the bathrooms? The original 17 is only 330 or so.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2019, 12:36 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 141 Times in 110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose33 View Post
Is that from the new tee by the bathrooms? The original 17 is only 330 or so.
Yes it is... I think? One that shares the pad with 16s 390 footer.
Old 11-01-2019, 01:18 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 20.8
Courses Played: 95
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 16 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarkquart View Post
Speed 9 is the tops most people need.

Agreed. Speed 9 will get you 350-450' depending on your arm speed.

I was in a shop a few years ago and was checking out discs - hadn't bought a new disc in 10 years at that time... picked up an Inertia and decided it was time to make a change. The rim felt highly controllable after years of Wraiths and Destroyers.

Think about this:

In a perfect 54 par round, at minimum 36 shots are putt / approach. At maximum, 18 shots are drives. On a course with some 200-300' holes, 36 can climb to 40 or more shots. Even if we're playing a par 58 or 62 or ... the number of putt / approach shots will always out number the number of "drives".

Niced: (1)
Old 11-01-2019, 07:34 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 53
Niced 333 Times in 202 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobpaul81 View Post

I was in a shop a few years ago and was checking out discs - hadn't bought a new disc in 10 years at that time... picked up an Inertia and decided it was time to make a change. The rim felt highly controllable after years of Wraiths and Destroyers.

Think about this:

In a perfect 54 par round, at minimum 36 shots are putt / approach. At maximum, 18 shots are drives. On a course with some 200-300' holes, 36 can climb to 40 or more shots. Even if we're playing a par 58 or 62 or ... the number of putt / approach shots will always out number the number of "drives".
Well said. maybe that's why I'm a midrange junkie.....I'm ALL about the second shot!

Niced: (2)
Old 11-01-2019, 02:49 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 38
Throwing Style: LHFH
Niced 34 Times in 22 Posts

Speed 9 is where I max out. Thunderbird is my "distance" driver, but it doesn't go much further than my Eagles, Teebirds or Banshees. 400'-425' for both my forehand and backhand throws.
Old 11-01-2019, 11:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 219
Niced 1,990 Times in 1,146 Posts

agreed with speed 9
Old 11-02-2019, 11:54 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 91
Niced 1,151 Times in 577 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putt for D'oh View Post
Or more accurately the saying is incomplete. "throw the slowest disc that can reach the target at 70% power" Is probably a better way of stating it.
Maybe? Depends on the player. I don't really throw backed off that much unless it's a short approach. I'd prefer to throw a slower disc closer to 85-90%. That's just what's more predictable for me

I don't want to throw a hurricane on a 300' hole, ever.
Old 11-06-2019, 04:08 AM

Years Playing: 1.5
Courses Played: 18
Niced 15 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobpaul81 View Post

Think about this:

I presume you meant to reverse the "minimum" and "maximum"? For every course, you always have a drive and a "putt", unless you get a rare ace. The variable for most people is the approach shots they take. The more I play, the more I realize how important your driving is to your score. The farther and more accurate you can drive, the easier the rest of your shots are going to be.

My Saint [speed 9] is my preferred "distance" driver and I can throw it about 325-375'. But I do use speed 11-14 discs once in a while, depending on the hole. Most of the time, I use speed 7 drivers when I need to attempt to control the shots. Most of the courses I play are mostly wooded in nature with some few open fairways.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:57 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorB View Post
Maybe? Depends on the player. I don't really throw backed off that much unless it's a short approach. I'd prefer to throw a slower disc closer to 85-90%. That's just what's more predictable for me

I don't want to throw a hurricane on a 300' hole, ever.
Agreed. I favor throwing in a consistent manner shot after shot. To do this, you gotta throw slower discs faster.

Old 11-22-2019, 01:48 AM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odedge View Post
I presume you meant to reverse the "minimum" and "maximum"? For every course, you always have a drive and a "putt", unless you get a rare ace. The variable for most people is the approach shots they take. The more I play, the more I realize how important your driving is to your score. The farther and more accurate you can drive, the easier the rest of your shots are going to be.

My Saint [speed 9] is my preferred "distance" driver and I can throw it about 325-375'. But I do use speed 11-14 discs once in a while, depending on the hole. Most of the time, I use speed 7 drivers when I need to attempt to control the shots. Most of the courses I play are mostly wooded in nature with some few open fairways.
I guess I need to clarify...

Perhaps it'd be easier if I discuss in terms of disc selection vs. type of shot. On a par 54 course, you should be reaching for a driver (Distance, Fairway, Midrange) at MAXIMUM 18 times. If you shoot a 54, you will therefore reach for a Putt / Approach disc a MINIMUM 36 times.

Understand that while these numbers will fluxtuate... based on course and performance... an average round should always have a sizeable difference in use between Drivers and Putt / Approach. The irony here being most players obsess over carrying tons of drivers... and one putt / approach disc (which they commonly refer to as their "putter"). It should be reversed. Your most variety of molds should be in your Putt / Approach and Midrange Driver categories, followed by Fairway Drivers, and finally Distance Drivers.

I rarely throw a driver (Distance, Fairway, Midrange) 18 times on a course. It'd have to be a pretty long course. I'm reaching for a putt / approach disc whenever possible. I follow that with my Midrange. Fairway drivers when I have to. And Distance Drivers only when I can't reach with anything else.