Never tried it. 133 32.76%
Voters: 406. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-28-2017, 08:35 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.5
Courses Played: 29
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 231 Times in 146 Posts

im aware but they are bouncing between molds atm,the 1.1s were beadless gators, 1.2 im not so sure,1.3 was not the beadless gator,the 1.4 is the "beadless" gator.

im not looking for a beadless gator in any plastic though ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ i was just using mine as a comparison.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2017, 04:47 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 83
Niced 320 Times in 217 Posts

All I could think about when I was throwing a 1.4 Recon Mortar was, I wish people would stop calling this a "beadless" Gator...

Niced: (1)
Old 02-07-2019, 03:45 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 123
Niced 243 Times in 94 Posts

I’ll bring this one back. What are your thoughts on recent Gators?

I’ve tried a bunch that have been released in the past couple of years. Star, Champ, Glow, Color Glow, embossed and not embossed, flat and medium dome, and almost all of them flew like turds compared to some of the nicer previous runs. Does anyone know why? In the hand comparing newer ones to some of the older ones, I can’t spy a difference but maybe there is something I am missing.

Too much power and they flip over, too little and they fade fast. Very touchy compared to older Gators. Also, even when you get them to fly straight (for the initial part of the Gator flight) the new Gators don’t seem to get the same distance as the older Gators.
The somewhat exception seems to be the Color Glow Whithers Gators. I still prefer some of the old Star or a nice flat old Champ, but the Whithers don’t suck like other recent Gators.

I haven’t tried Luster Gators so I might be interested in giving those a shot, but I am hesitant to do so since 90% of the recent Gators are just terrible. I see that the new Whithers tour series disc this year is a Lustor Gator, so when someone gets their hands on one of those I would be interested in a review.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:39 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 25
Niced 794 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkgreen View Post
I’ll bring this one back. What are your thoughts on recent Gators?

I’ve tried a bunch that have been released in the past couple of years. Star, Champ, Glow, Color Glow, embossed and not embossed, flat and medium dome, and almost all of them flew like turds compared to some of the nicer previous runs. Does anyone know why? In the hand comparing newer ones to some of the older ones, I can’t spy a difference but maybe there is something I am missing.

Too much power and they flip over, too little and they fade fast. Very touchy compared to older Gators. Also, even when you get them to fly straight (for the initial part of the Gator flight) the new Gators don’t seem to get the same distance as the older Gators.
The somewhat exception seems to be the Color Glow Whithers Gators. I still prefer some of the old Star or a nice flat old Champ, but the Whithers don’t suck like other recent Gators.

I haven’t tried Luster Gators so I might be interested in giving those a shot, but I am hesitant to do so since 90% of the recent Gators are just terrible. I see that the new Whithers tour series disc this year is a Lustor Gator, so when someone gets their hands on one of those I would be interested in a review.
Sounds like you want a MF Champion Gator but that is almost all hook to the disc and will not get the distance that the older discs do simply due to the hook of the disc. I just got a G Star Gator for a more easy to throw disc for my Bothers Birthday and that should fly more like a slightly broken in but not beat up Gator in DX right out of the bag. The other disc to try is the Gator 3 top in Champion from the Innova Store https://proshop.innovadiscs.com/champion-gator3.html as that is going to be more like a flat old Champion that you seek.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:00 AM
Birdie Member

I actually started with MF Gators. Serious beef and super reliable, but they don't push forward like some other gators. I'm not a fan of wobbly GStar discs or some of the softer Star plastic that Innova had going for a couple years. The old stiff Star Gators were the best IMO.
I like some of the flat tops but also like some Gators with just a bit of dome. Those are getting tough to find, though. Old ones anyway.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:48 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 31
Niced 338 Times in 170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkgreen View Post
I actually started with MF Gators. Serious beef and super reliable, but they don't push forward like some other gators. I'm not a fan of wobbly GStar discs or some of the softer Star plastic that Innova had going for a couple years. The old stiff Star Gators were the best IMO.
I like some of the flat tops but also like some Gators with just a bit of dome. Those are getting tough to find, though. Old ones anyway.
Have you checked out the Gator3? Their tops are nearly flat by nature and don’t need to be flat-top processed. I agree that the Gator turns into a different disc when it has the completely flat top, it lacks the glide and push.
*edit, so pretty much what Casey said.

Old 02-08-2019, 11:06 AM
Birdie Member

I might check out the Gator3. Thanks guys. I already have a lot of flat top gators, ROGs and Glows, but I could always look at more.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:21 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.5
Courses Played: 86
Niced 312 Times in 165 Posts

Innova reloaded on the Factory Store Champion Glow Gators this morning, they haven’t stocked those in a long time.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:36 AM
Par Member

Niced 74 Times in 56 Posts

The f2 flow gators have been popping up recently in Sweden. They’re probably my favorite to date. Shaped like a really beefy gator but they actually want to fly a bit instead of chasing the ground. Great grip as well. You might wanna give them a squeeze before you buy, the flight plate can have some dimples. Not all of them are flat though (sample size of about 7)

Old 08-12-2019, 12:41 PM

Courses Played: 21
Niced 19 Times in 11 Posts

My current favorite is a domey glow champ x out it's such a great disc off the tee. I also keep a pair of cfr champs from 5 or 6 years ago both are flat-flatish but rarely see light let alone flight
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1565624459262959526071582227962.jpg (100.0 KB, 25 views)