Old 10-03-2015, 05:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 183
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 683 Times in 452 Posts

I just took a new Z Comet out today, and it's my first time throwing one. Previously, I've thrown mainly Buzzz/Hornet/Drone for midrange. I'm definitely still partial to the "no-bead" feel, but that Comet is a fun disc to throw. I would have thrown it a lot more, but there was too much wind! I also brought out a new Big Z Mantis, and I like how it feels and flies.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2015, 09:04 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 15
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by armiller View Post
I just took a new Z Comet out today, and it's my first time throwing one. Previously, I've thrown mainly Buzzz/Hornet/Drone for midrange. I'm definitely still partial to the "no-bead" feel, but that Comet is a fun disc to throw. I would have thrown it a lot more, but there was too much wind! I also brought out a new Big Z Mantis, and I like how it feels and flies.
I primarily throw Wasp Buzzz Meteor... I have always had an affinity for the Buzzz but I'll tell you something... That comet I carried yesterday took almost the entire shot selection my Meteor has and about half of what the Buzzz does. I love my Buzzz I don't think I can see them out of my bag.

That being said I'm also looking at the mantis. How far can you throw a buzz and how far could you throw your mantis? Was it controllable?
Old 10-04-2015, 11:00 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 183
Niced 683 Times in 452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redskins98 View Post
That being said I'm also looking at the mantis. How far can you throw a buzz and how far could you throw your mantis? Was it controllable?
I don't have a big arm and haven't measured distances meticulously, but there's no comparison in distance. My Buzzz will go up to maybe 250 (usually shorter), but the mantis substantially farther. Maybe 350? I think you should give it a shot. This was the first day I took this one out. I think there's potential controllability, but I haven't explored the full potential yet.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:14 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 46
Niced 4,352 Times in 1,819 Posts

I started throwing a Z Mantis today. I like it, it fits right in between my seasoned Pro Leopard and Champion Teebird and goes about 10-15 further. Can't wait to get some wear on it and really start using it for hyzer flips.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:55 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 20
Niced 6 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by armiller View Post
I don't have a big arm and haven't measured distances meticulously, but there's no comparison in distance. My Buzzz will go up to maybe 250 (usually shorter), but the mantis substantially farther. Maybe 350? I think you should give it a shot. This was the first day I took this one out. I think there's potential controllability, but I haven't explored the full potential yet.
Something is not quiet right here if you can't get a Buzzz to 250ft yet can throw a Mantis 350ft. Find a football field and know your distance, it's an important piece of information for your game.

On to Discraft. Anyone throwing the Heat? Was thinking of picking up a Sidewinder but saw that the Heat looks a bit similar. Any Thoughts?
Old 10-08-2015, 12:43 PM
Par Member

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by grotto View Post
Something is not quiet right here if you can't get a Buzzz to 250ft yet can throw a Mantis 350ft. Find a football field and know your distance, it's an important piece of information for your game.

On to Discraft. Anyone throwing the Heat? Was thinking of picking up a Sidewinder but saw that the Heat looks a bit similar. Any Thoughts?
I just picked one up and am going to check it out this afternoon. I've heard it referred as a longer comet. So I'm excited to check it out
Old 10-08-2015, 12:58 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 74
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,063 Times in 685 Posts

I liked the Heat as a flier, but it's got an enormous dome and I didn't like the grip.

My disc in that slot is a Napalm/Jun(same disc different branding) and it flies as far with better control and wind resistance. Kind of like a Sword or Krait.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:29 PM
Par Member

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Got to play with it for a few holes but I am still learning the disc. I liked it for what it offered but 2/3 holes I threw it on it had a phantom branch. For me, I don't have the fastest arm out there but I was still able to have this disc go straight and even turnover a bit. I really like it at this point. And I played with my stalker one 'last' time before deciding if I wanted to sell and I can tell you I don't. I was really able to make that disc work today. Finally, the comet really is taking up my buzzz except for approaches. I much prefer the buzzz because it just doesn't over-glide past the basket.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:48 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 45
Niced 308 Times in 133 Posts

I see little mention of the Stratus and it's been a workhorse for me since I started playing in May. It was the first disc I could throw straight reliably, and now it's just as predictable but I use it on any hole where I need a nice long glidey right turn. My 166 is pretty beat and flippy at this point, and the 173 is newer and straighter. I use both and always feel confident in how they'll perform even though my form is still a work in progress. Hope to see it offered in Z, ESP, FLX etc. at some point.

At my course there's a hole with a big gully between the tee and fairway, and the basket is uphill. When the wind is right, there's a nice updraft through that gully. The other day there was a big gust right as I threw the stratus and the thing went like 350', well past the basket. I can reach 300' on a good day so it was pretty awesome to watch it sail away like that.

Old 10-10-2015, 01:24 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Had a bad tournament and mediocre scores lately, which lit a little fire in my belly so that makes me happy. This season i really cooled down on disc golf for the first time and although I'm always improving a little I haven't felt that competitive drive until now. I'm improving a lot of my techniques and strategies right now but it will be for the better once I dial in again. It's been almost a month since I felt pretty dialed in lol.

My bag as always is ever changing, but only ever by small tweaks and always with the same discs from my car. At the moment I'm liking:

2 worn D Challengers 174 slight puddle tops. One for putting only, one for ups, drives, and practice putts. Cozy, touch, perfection.
Pro Breaker 175, grippy plastic. Pretty fast, flat, overstable, stiff, and durable for a putter. I throw these three putters more than any other discs.

ESP Comet 176, pretty worn. Nice dome, nice and slow, not too understable but a predictable turning disc.
Z Buzzz 181, beat, fairly understable for a Z Buzzz. I love this disc, I'm usually driving this when people are throwing fairways. It flies very fast and straight and is useful for a ton of different lines.
ESP Wasp 178 (and my drone) replaced my BuzzzOS for the moment. This Wasp is nice and overstable.
180 Z Drone very overstable, but has a much softer landing and skip than a fairway driver when I forehand it.

Two big Z Mantis 175, one more beat than the other. I've grown to prefer Big Z, ESP, and Proline lately. The Mantis is still my favorite disc, nice dome, love it.
Z Avenger 174, worn. Used to be really overstable like a PD, now it will flip up. I like this for a lot for forehands too.
Big Z Predator 175, very flat top high wing. Very overstable, very awesome, very important.

Two Z Cranks 172, pretty worn. Nice domes, they both fly the same. They started pretty stable and retained their stability well which surprised me on both accounts. Imperceptibly slower and less overstable than Nukes, just like a worn Destroyer. Still they work really well for hyzers. Love this disc, a little more controllable and comfortable than my Nukes so I'm going to throw these for a while.
Two Z Forces, 175 and 168. The 175 is an SCTop10 and is very flat with a very high wing and it's a meathook so that comes in handy sometimes. The 168 is a recent trade, nice mild dome and quite overstable. Usually I throw overstables Nukes because they're faster but this is a little more comfy so we'll see how it goes. Obviously it's been flying great for fast long overstable shots.