Old 10-10-2019, 02:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 91
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,141 Times in 574 Posts
Default equipment changes, ball golf vs disc golf

Reading through some of the mental game things recently, and comparing/contrasting mental and physical sides of ball golf and regular golf, a question hit me.

Since ball golf really doesn't have a lot of variation in equipment, you don't see the pros changing clubs, or having vastly different results when they do.

Disc golf however - equipment selection is very important (at most levels - we know the elite guys can throw coffee can lids and shoot 1000+) and can make a big difference in performance, mental/physical preparation.

So, why is it that even though I'm as confident in my game and abilities as I ever have been, I still sometimes feel the need to tinker with new equipment? What makes someone want to change something that is working - is it just the hope that maybe it will 'reset' expectations of performance with comfortable equipment setup, or just trying to find that next best thing that will save you a stroke a round? Or, is it just the fun of experimenting and seeing how different discs fly?

This isn't something I had considered much, since I was always changing things - but never had supreme confidence in my game. Is that a cause or symptom? Are there tangible benefits, or is it all placebo effect?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2019, 03:00 PM
Pandamonium Discs

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 170
Niced 728 Times in 333 Posts

Theres always hope that said new disc will improve your game and give your game something that is missing. A lot of it brought on by marketing and hype. If there truly was a disc or brand or technology that improved the game that much then every single top player and lower level players would be using the same equipment.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-10-2019, 05:18 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 48
Niced 230 Times in 175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorB View Post
Reading through some of the mental game things recently, and comparing/contrasting mental and physical sides of ball golf and regular golf, a question hit me.

Since ball golf really doesn't have a lot of variation in equipment, you don't see the pros changing clubs, or having vastly different results when they do.

Disc golf however - equipment selection is very important (at most levels - we know the elite guys can throw coffee can lids and shoot 1000+) and can make a big difference in performance, mental/physical preparation.

So, why is it that even though I'm as confident in my game and abilities as I ever have been, I still sometimes feel the need to tinker with new equipment? What makes someone want to change something that is working - is it just the hope that maybe it will 'reset' expectations of performance with comfortable equipment setup, or just trying to find that next best thing that will save you a stroke a round? Or, is it just the fun of experimenting and seeing how different discs fly?

This isn't something I had considered much, since I was always changing things - but never had supreme confidence in my game. Is that a cause or symptom? Are there tangible benefits, or is it all placebo effect?
Golfers are just as big of tinkerers (is that a word?) as disc golfers. I'd say there's actually more tinkering going on in golf. Look at all the different club lengths, shaft stiffness (heh), driver club head size, ball type, shoes, weird hybrid clubs, different degrees of loft on a driver, etc. All disc golf has is different molds/weights/runs.

The pro disc golfers and pro golfers aren't changing much. Look at Nate Doss, dude is throwing literally some of the same discs as he did 5+ years ago. Or look at Philo Brathwaite, he throws 5 molds. There is a tangible benefit to keeping things the same because you are used to them. It's all about executing what you practice when it really counts. What's better: a bag full of 25 discs you've each thrown twice, or a bag of 3 discs you've thrown each 20 times? Go play a round with 2-3 discs, I bet you can match or almost match your regular scores.

Quote:
Or, is it just the fun of experimenting and seeing how different discs fly?
I think that's it

Last edited by UhhNegative; 10-10-2019 at 05:21 PM.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:10 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 17.2
Courses Played: 61
Niced 139 Times in 43 Posts

Quote:

https://www.pga.com/news/pga-tour/ho...years-pga-tour
Old 10-10-2019, 06:24 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 24
Niced 521 Times in 298 Posts

If a placebo works is it really a placebo?

Hoping those new Mint Profits are the magic bullet my putting game needs.

Old 10-10-2019, 06:30 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 574 Times in 302 Posts

Quote:
I am definitely no pro, but moving between SGI/GI/blade irons can make a huge difference. Add to that GI drivers vs. pear shaped drivers and mallet vs blade putters, you have a ton of variation in heads alone. Then you get into grip, shaft, length, and weights including slapping lead tape onto every inch of your club... Yeah equipment makes a difference.

I personally moved from GI clubs to Mizuno blades and had a huge improvement with my game. I also had my shafts chopped down leading to stiffer shafts and a better height.

Niced: (2)
Old 10-10-2019, 08:40 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 17.2
Courses Played: 61
Niced 139 Times in 43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicGuy View Post
I am definitely no pro, but moving between SGI/GI/blade irons can make a huge difference. Add to that GI drivers vs. pear shaped drivers and mallet vs blade putters, you have a ton of variation in heads alone. Then you get into grip, shaft, length, and weights including slapping lead tape onto every inch of your club... Yeah equipment makes a difference.

I personally moved from GI clubs to Mizuno blades and had a huge improvement with my game. I also had my shafts chopped down leading to stiffer shafts and a better height.
Totally agree with your post. I switched from a set of Taylor Made Burners that where several years old to the new AP3's. After playing forever, I really wanted to try a set of player's irons and I really like them. I love the AP3's and I have heard great things about those Mizunos.

I switched from a blade to a mallet style putter with a smaller grip and stopped pushing so many putts. Also purchased a bunch of different wedges with different degrees with the updated grooves. I notice a big difference around the greens with the 'tour grind' grooves.

The one thing about tinkering with ball golf equipment is that it can be expensive and sometimes, people do go back to their old clubs after dumping a grand or more into new clubs. Plus add the fees to play courses and hit range balls, it's not cheap by any means.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 91
Niced 1,141 Times in 574 Posts

I guess I never got that much into ball golf to realize all the little differences in equipment. Probably because I was in high school/college and didn't have any money!
Old 10-10-2019, 09:53 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 574 Times in 302 Posts

You know it is weird, yes golf clubs are expensive, but in MN there is a place called second swing golf where it is actually not terrible to swap out a bunch of clubs if you aren’t opposed to used.

Think about it this way, if you switch disc
Golf putters often you will buy a bunch of extras for practice. All of a sudden your new putter cost you $50+. With used golf putters you can cycle in and out of a bunch continually trading them in trying to get your dream putter.

Old 10-10-2019, 10:25 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 30
Niced 245 Times in 128 Posts

Look no further than Tiger Woods

He was at peak dominance and completely tinkered with/changed his swing. It wasn’t equipment, per se, but it proves the point: any athlete is going to “tinker” to try and get better, no matter how good you already are. Whether that tinkering is with mechanics or equipment or something mental, it happens with literally every athlete worth a crap - it’s a byproduct of competitive instinct