Old 11-19-2019, 05:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,830 Times in 1,580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma03 View Post
...side note. DD has dumped Callie, Jordan, and Paige's contracts within the past 4 months...are they headed towards a Lat64 style purge? Are they making a play for Henna?
I think characterizing Callie and Paige's departures as DD "dumping" the contracts is incorrect. Dumping implies it was DD's call to make. I have no doubts both deals would still be in place absent another sponsor coming along to poach them. Jordan, on the other hand, seems like it was a straight declination to renew his deal and therefore DD's decision (perhaps fitting the "dumped" descriptor).

Given the signing of Nikko (yes to Westside, but DD is 50% owner and employs the folks running the team...po-TAY-to, po-TAH-to) and the extension to Clemons announced today, it doesn't appear to be a purge to me. Re-configuration, re-allocation, but not a purge.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (3)
Old 11-19-2019, 05:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 133
Niced 1,383 Times in 419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
I think characterizing Callie and Paige's departures as DD "dumping" the contracts is incorrect. Dumping implies it was DD's call to make. I have no doubts both deals would still be in place absent another sponsor coming along to poach them. Jordan, on the other hand, seems like it was a straight declination to renew his deal and therefore DD's decision (perhaps fitting the "dumped" descriptor).

Given the signing of Nikko (yes to Westside, but DD is 50% owner and employs the folks running the team...po-TAY-to, po-TAH-to) and the extension to Clemons announced today, it doesn't appear to be a purge to me. Re-configuration, re-allocation, but not a purge.
Good take. Maybe "dumping" is a bit of a strong word, but also remember it was one year ago that Paige "signed" a 3-year extension (in quotes because she confirmed to Benn Winneka in his article that she didn't have a formal contract). Nov 16, 2018 it was announced. Nov 18, 2019 she asks them to break it off.

I lumped Callie in because maybe she saw the writing on the wall and just went ahead and made the change? A mid-season switch has been kinda uncommon in the new world we're in with disc golf contracts. That's pure speculation though.
Old 11-19-2019, 05:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,144 Times in 893 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
Pretty sure 2 of the 3 leaving were player initiated as opposed to other companies "poaching". No clue on the third.
Old 11-19-2019, 05:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22
Courses Played: 151
Niced 3,830 Times in 1,580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
Pretty sure 2 of the 3 leaving were player initiated as opposed to other companies "poaching". No clue on the third.
Player initiated would be the same in my mind, at least in terms of characterizing the separation as DD "dumping" contracts. That said, even if the separation is player initiated, it likely doesn't happen if there isn't another sponsor waiting in the wings. Maybe that's not strictly poaching, but it comes to the same end.

Certainly in Callie's case that is true. I don't think she's quite at the level where she can leave her primary sponsor without having another lined up. By level, I mean she's not quite in a the same position as Val when she left Innova or Elaine when she left Discraft (i.e. leaving one sponsor without the safety net of a new sponsor). Paige probably can do that, but I would imagine such a breaking off of the deal wouldn't be so mutually amicable. But that's just my speculation from the sidelines.
Old 11-19-2019, 06:27 PM

Niced 24 Times in 10 Posts

My guess is page is going to Infinite. Now that she’s had all that photography training with Allyssa Van Lanen, she will take their disc sales to the next level with multiple pics per disc.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-19-2019, 08:06 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,071 Times in 595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma03 View Post
I was wrong when I speculated about where McBeth ultimately landed (though I was right about some things, it didn't change his decision). I might be wrong again. I don't know officially (if I did know officially I wouldn't say).

I'm betting Discraft over Innova.

Hampstead commented that a friend saw her buy up some old Discraft on some auction sites...

Old 11-19-2019, 09:55 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 23
Niced 65 Times in 20 Posts

Can’t help but laugh at DD given she **** all over prodigy her last year, they really think it was about family? My guess is Innova then gateway, not many more bridges left for her to burn.

Old 11-20-2019, 01:25 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24.6
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 205 Times in 143 Posts

To put things in perspective:

-First female to get this amount attention on changing sponsors.

-Her new contract will be the benchmark for all future, up and coming female pros to shoot for.

-Could this be a turning point to greatly increase percentage of new female discers?

Niced: (2)
Old 11-20-2019, 01:49 PM

Courses Played: 9
Niced 18 Times in 8 Posts

Val leaving Innova had just as much if not more attention than PP leaving DD.

Old 11-20-2019, 01:56 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 126
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 903 Times in 400 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Smooth View Post
-Could this be a turning point to greatly increase percentage of new female discers?
Probably not. The majority of people who care about this are already disc golfers.

Let's say PP gets a contract for somewhere north of $100,000. (Which is not a crazy notion, depending on the length of the deal.) "Female Disc Golf Pro Inks 6-Figure Contact!" is not a headline that will garner a whole lot of attention outside the world of disc golf. It's just not a big enough amount to turn heads, when you consider the order of magnitude of pro athlete compensation in other sports.

It's a big deal for frolf but not a big deal in general, so not a game changer in terms of growing the sport. (Would be my guess.)