My new favorite term. Basket Bitchin'.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2017, 01:49 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts

Lets just put holes in the ground like golf. No spits outs ever. Just make it 20 inches wide and 20 inches deep. Problem solved. That was easy!
Old 03-15-2017, 01:50 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 496 Times in 264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirdleRoc View Post
Lets just put holes in the ground like golf. No spits outs ever. Just make it 20 inches wide and 20 inches deep. Problem solved. That was easy!
The interior viscosity of Innova holes in the ground make it so the discs slide out. And Discraft ones don't have a layer on the bottom to prevent gophers from entering the hole and rejecting your putt. I only use DD putting holes in the ground.

Niced: (2)
Old 03-15-2017, 01:51 PM
**SuIciDe AnKles**

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 528
Niced 743 Times in 319 Posts

Quote:
Some people like their holes unkempt and bushy. I prefer mine neatly shaved around the edges. My slide putt works well on the latter.

Niced: (3)
Old 03-15-2017, 01:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.7
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,586 Times in 904 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicGuy View Post
Or "Oh wow, my ball bounced off a sprinkler head and onto the green, I will take a penalty stroke because of my insane luck".

OMG, you've done it! We need to surround the basket with sprinkler heads. They bounce up to full extension as soon as your disc touches the chains, preventing bounce outs. Quick, get a patent.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.7
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,586 Times in 904 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardoggy View Post
Some people like their holes unkempt and bushy. I prefer mine neatly shaved around the edges. My slide putt works well on the latter.
Psst, I only shaved on the left side. Don't tell anyone!
Old 03-15-2017, 02:19 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 464 Times in 225 Posts

I just wanted to clarify where I stand and I think araytx stands compared to the hyperbolic thread title - ALL Mach baskets should be outlawed in pro tournaments!

No, I am just arguing that MAYBE certain models should not be used at high level play - let's say A Tiers or higher. That "MAYBE" seems to be something that most are simply not willing to entertain at all - "Stop Whining and adjust your putt."

I have heard so much trash talk on early Mach models, especially from touring pros, so I was anticipating people being a bit more open to the idea that they may, in fact, not be a good target for high level play.

I was wrong about that assumption. It seems like most don't even think it would be possible to discern random outcomes from non-random. I completely disagree, although to aratx's point, it's not going to happen, but there is still a discussion to be had. I have not given it much thought, but there are a WHOLE LOT of factors that would need to be considered in such an endeavor, but like most scientific studies, it could be done.

So now I have 2 questions:

1) Do you think it's possible (assuming no limitations to budget/expertise/etc) for an objective scientific study to determine if some basket models create more random outcomes than others?

2) If it is possible, and the results show some are in fact more random, would that change your opinion on what baskets to include in high level competition.

I realize there is a lot of "how do you do that?", "how do you account for this?" questions that come from this type of study, but that is beside the point. I'm not pretending I have a plan for this type of study. I'm just curious if others think it would be 1) Possible, and 2) Would the results matter to you.
Old 03-15-2017, 02:24 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 31
Niced 117 Times in 60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
I've been saying for years there should be a Lard Basket. Instead of chains, there's a cylinder of lard in the middle that catches your Disc, holding it in place right where it hits. It's good and greasy, too.
I'd pay money to see that in The Florida heat.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:14 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 464 Times in 225 Posts

Listened to Paul McBeth and Nate Sexton on Smashboxx. Paul said he prefers the Vista baskets (MACH V I think) over the MACH X because the MACH X catches too good and the V requires a more "pure" putt. Nate tended to agree and does not like that an X can push a nice soft putt out.

Just thought I would throw that out here if it's not already somewhere in the thread. I don't know the models enough, but you all probably do.

Both would entertain smaller baskets as well, but don't think the Marksman is the answer.

Old 03-15-2017, 04:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 29
Niced 316 Times in 205 Posts

Quote:
That would never fly in public parks where most disc golf courses currently exist. At the least they would have to be elevated "holes", which would undoubtedly turn into park trash cans. Also, it would completely change the game which I don't think is necessary or desirable.

And you can't underestimate the cool factor of current basket designs.