Old 09-18-2017, 09:28 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 12
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 24 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
I focus on throwing the weight/momentum of the disc in plane to the apex of the flight line. Just like throwing a fastball sidearm/submarine, or sidearming a football with tight spiral, or skipping stones(but angle trajectory up to the sky slightly).
Awesome. I was just doing some field work yesterday and it seems that I've run into somewhat of a barrier. Basically, I'm not sure if it's my form or if I just need to start working whatever muscles the forehand does because my arm starts to get sore if I try to forehand really far.

I started with my putters and mids, then tried a few drivers without overexerting myself. I can get some good rips with slower discs but it still feels like I'm pulling a muscle. Is this normal for a forehand n00b like myself? I know I should probably take a video to show you guys. I just want to make sure I'm not hurting myself.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2017, 10:20 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,652 Times in 1,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nate View Post
Awesome. I was just doing some field work yesterday and it seems that I've run into somewhat of a barrier. Basically, I'm not sure if it's my form or if I just need to start working whatever muscles the forehand does because my arm starts to get sore if I try to forehand really far.

I started with my putters and mids, then tried a few drivers without overexerting myself. I can get some good rips with slower discs but it still feels like I'm pulling a muscle. Is this normal for a forehand n00b like myself? I know I should probably take a video to show you guys. I just want to make sure I'm not hurting myself.
What muscle?
Old 09-18-2017, 03:46 PM
Double Eagle Member

It feels like it's around my elbow... kind of front and back. I'm not quite sure how to describe it. Maybe part of my bicep and tricep? I dunno. Doesn't feel good.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,549 Times in 1,624 Posts

Quote:
It feels like it's around my elbow... kind of front and back. I'm not quite sure how to describe it. Maybe part of my bicep and tricep? I dunno. Doesn't feel good.
I would say rest it and get video from the side when it's feeling better.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:42 PM
*Moderator*

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 33
Niced 487 Times in 190 Posts

Quote:
Definitely stop, it shouldn't hurt. I think I know the type of pain you're talking about, and it was the reason I gave up throwing FH the first time I tried to developed it. I was using bad form, not ever fully sure what I was doing - but the elbow pain really sidelined me for a long time.

About a year ago I started playing with a buddy who is FH dominant and I started trying to build it up slowly and correctly and I've yet to feel any elbow or muscle tinges or soreness.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,549 Times in 1,624 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyzerUniBomber View Post
About a year ago I started playing with a buddy who is FH dominant and I started trying to build it up slowly and correctly and I've yet to feel any elbow or muscle tinges or soreness.
Agreed, I had a minor bit of golfer's elbow for a week or so a while back. Rest was the best situation and I sorted out why it happened form-wise. I have more power now FH than I did then and haven't had the pain since. Of course I try to be pretty careful with my FH form and always stretch/warm up a bit before smashing drives.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,652 Times in 1,654 Posts

Yeah, doesn't sound good. Distance throws are not really thrown harder with the arm, but a longer and looser swing motion setup from the body and arm whipped from your core(true for both FH and BH). It's basically like the long toss drill in baseball, but sidearm or backhand.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:07 AM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyzerUniBomber View Post
Definitely stop, it shouldn't hurt. I think I know the type of pain you're talking about, and it was the reason I gave up throwing FH the first time I tried to developed it. I was using bad form, not ever fully sure what I was doing - but the elbow pain really sidelined me for a long time.

Thanks, everyone. I'll definitely take some videos next time I'm out so I can show you whatever it is I'm doing. I figured it was my form, which didn't feel bad at first. I might have to change my grip a little to accommodate the throw. This is why I've never been able to forehand! I don't know what the H I'm doing
Old 09-19-2017, 12:26 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 64
Niced 141 Times in 69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Yeah, doesn't sound good. Distance throws are not really thrown harder with the arm, but a longer and looser swing motion setup from the body and arm whipped from your core(true for both FH and BH). It's basically like the long toss drill in baseball, but sidearm or backhand.
I used to achieve extra distance forehand through trying to accelerate my arm faster through the hit and while it does add distance the pain you will develop in your elbow will stop any kind of repeatable progress. I imagine this is what is happening with nate. Like SW says here it is a smooth longer stride into your swing with a comfortably long reach back and full follow-through timed with hip rotation that gives long sidearmers their distance. The first time it clicked the disc sailed to 375 feet with such ease it blew my mind.

Niced: (1)

Old 09-25-2017, 04:47 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 16 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Thanks, everyone. I'll definitely take some videos next time I'm out so I can show you whatever it is I'm doing. I figured it was my form, which didn't feel bad at first. I might have to change my grip a little to accommodate the throw. This is why I've never been able to forehand! I don't know what the H I'm doing
this is just me, but i would stop, ice it, rest, maybe take some magnesium vitamins for nerves, glucosamine/chondroitin vitamins.

once you're better, focus more on the wrist snap. grip and wrist.

i think you should only be tensing up at the hand, not the elbow.