Just use different molds 24 42.11%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-30-2017, 11:15 AM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 72
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 978 Times in 641 Posts

I would say I’m a minimalist, but I don’t carry many molds that overlap at all imo. So I use plastic types and stages of wear(natural wear) to get all of the lines I want. Stags are a good example. New VIP for straight to fade, beat VIP for S curve, R for turnovers and hyzerflips. Works for me. I do this with Giants, Kings, Firebirds, Stags and Harps.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 11-30-2017, 11:16 AM
Par Member

Niced 43 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandocommando9 View Post
Oh boy here we go again
Just to clarify, the question isn’t how to faster beat up a disc. It’s what are people’s preferred ways to replicate the flight of a beat up disc. I didn’t think that was asked about at nauseam
Old 11-30-2017, 11:26 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 158
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 127 Times in 94 Posts

Having fewer discs helps as well. Sticking with your tried and true discs helps concentrate the wear on those discs and helps you familiarize yourself with them.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:32 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,185 Times in 530 Posts

Let it happen organically. Forcing the issue is counterproductive.

Old 11-30-2017, 11:44 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 44
Niced 666 Times in 389 Posts

I don't think there is any shortcut to do this well INITIALLY. I think that the only way to really be good at mold minimization is to throw a disc over its lifetime and learn how it flies at each stage of wear. As you say, it's hard to buy used discs and know how they will fly for you RIGHT NOW, but that's mostly because you haven't thrown whatever mold you're buying enough and watched it beat in.

So, honestly, as Broken Shoulder said (and ORDB in other threads) I wouldn't force the issue. Grab a DX Roc and a Mako3 or Comet and play. That DX Roc will eventually wear to the point that you need a fresh one and you can drop the other mid. Once you've done that a couple times, you will be able to look at used Rocs online or in stores and have a lot better idea of how they will fly and how they might fit into your bag or your backup stable. Once you've played long enough with a mold and watched a couple discs beat in, buying used discs becomes much more viable because it's easier to gauge what stage of wear they're at and how they will fly based off that.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:45 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 495 Times in 317 Posts

I think I understand the poll question, and I definitely understand where you're coming from. In theory, just because we play less often than the pros doesn't mean our discs are seasoning in any slower than theirs relative to the # of holes they play, all else held equal. That being said, we're not getting a stack of our favorite mold for free to get familiar with and we are not constrained from throwing a mixed bag. Also, we have played less total rounds, and personally, less holes per round, forcing me to either artificially beat in a disc if I want it seasoned or look for a crapshoot used disc.

This all adds up to weekend warriors like myself leaning toward filling shot slots with a variety of different molds, or at least different permutations of the same mold as mentioned.

I think unless one deliberately steered clear of it, mold minimalization is inevitable given enough time and seasoning on the discs. Eventually my star teebird would beat to where my FD is, and down the line to where I might just throw another new teebird in the bag and skip the DX leopard or what have you. If that star teeb gets lost, I would probably pick up a new FD and go from there.
Old 11-30-2017, 12:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 46
Niced 3,590 Times in 1,553 Posts

Better of carrying less discs and molds in general. Buy discs that work multiple lines and slots over here’s my us disc, my stable disc and my OS disc. Learn to throw lines with discs, not discs for lines.

Old 11-30-2017, 12:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 162
Niced 1,159 Times in 573 Posts

Used discs help. As does cutting down the number of discs you're carrying.
The used Roc you bought isn't quite as flippy as you want? Throw it a LOT. Easiest way to do that? Only carry it along with one fresh Roc. Learn to make it work. if it REALLY won't cover a shot you need, stick a Mako in until it gets there.

Or do whatever makes you happy.

I played 27 holes the other night on a tough course with 4 molds. I had seven in my bag. But just didn't need to throw them. Maybe a few of them might have been a "better" choice on some shots, but I like to learn how to manipulate my core 4 to cover anything.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-30-2017, 12:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 162
Niced 1,159 Times in 573 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
Learn to throw lines with discs, not discs for lines.

^Wicked wicked wicked smart. Clever too.

Old 11-30-2017, 12:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.9
Courses Played: 177
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 137 Times in 85 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
Better of carrying less discs and molds in general. Buy discs that work multiple lines and slots over here’s my us disc, my stable disc and my OS disc. Learn to throw lines with discs, not discs for lines.
Exactly this.

And read this thread on disc selection suggestions.