Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 12-23-2018, 10:15 AM

Courses Played: 1
Niced 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default What is a disc that everyone else loves but you just can’t make work for you?

There are some discs out there that stand upon a pedastool. When they get brought up in conversation the group just nods in approval simultaneously at agreement. You feel like you need to own your very own flying discs of greatness. So you go out and pick up that disc and get ready to go throw aces all day. Your first throw isn’t quite what you hoped for, but that’s okay, it needs to get beat in right? Two months later and still it won’t do what you want. You want so badly to experience the hype and glory, but eventually you give up and crawl back to old faithful.

What discs are all the hype that you just can’t stand?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2018, 10:21 AM
Reptilian Disc Golf

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 14
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 539 Times in 212 Posts

Buzzz

It was one of the first discs that I ever purchased and yet after all these years, can't throw it for the life of me.

Too straight, too fast & too unpredictable for my game.

I clicked with Rocs shortly after and have been throwing them since.

I know the Buzzz is an excellent disc... But it just isn't for me.

Old 12-23-2018, 10:27 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 658 Times in 519 Posts

I'd say Valkyrie. The Valk is a tweener disc. Somewhat flippy and can be hard to control. I don't throw them. I think the Valk is somewhat dated and clunky compared to other discs of the same speed. I like something beefier in the speed 9 slot. The Thunderbird is vastly superior. I guess the Valk is simply a mold I can't get excited about.

I'd put the Viking in the same category. Like a Valk, but a hair beefier and noticeably glideless. Clunky to the max. I've never thrown a Viking I even somewhat liked.
Old 12-23-2018, 10:32 AM

Niced 7 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcassidy1990 View Post
Buzzz

It was one of the first discs that I ever purchased and yet after all these years, can't throw it for the life of me.

Too straight, too fast & too unpredictable for my game.

I clicked with Rocs shortly after and have been throwing them since.

I know the Buzzz is an excellent disc... But it just isn't for me.
I am exactly opposite of you! A KC pro ROC in DX was my first disc. Absolutely hate that thing. I would be upset if it ends up in the lake. By my crystal Buzzz, oh boy that thing does wonders.
Old 12-23-2018, 10:33 AM

Niced 7 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
I'd say Valkyrie. The Valk is a tweener disc. Somewhat flippy and can be hard to control. I don't throw them. I think the Valk is somewhat dated and clunky compared to other discs of the same speed. I like something beefier in the speed 9 slot. The Thunderbird is vastly superior. I guess the Valk is simply a mold I can't get excited about.

I'd put the Viking in the same category. Like a Valk, but a hair beefier and noticeably glideless. Clunky to the max. I've never thrown a Viking I even somewhat liked.
Valkarie is on my wish list. I had a hatchet as my first driver, and fell in love. Last week I threw it further than ever and straight into the lake. I’ve been told the call would be a similar replacement.
Old 12-23-2018, 11:06 AM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 17.5
Courses Played: 41
Niced 688 Times in 388 Posts

The Wizard

Old 12-23-2018, 11:10 AM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,065 Times in 1,539 Posts

I picked up a Star Eagle-L at the store a while back. Looked great, nice pink color that was easy to find. But for the life of me, I just could not get along with it, not even as a hyzer/utility disc. I've thrown a DX Eagle that did okay for me, and I bag an Exodus, which is supposedly an Eagle-L (I think there are slight differences, but who knows ), and the Exodus is a great disc. But that Star Eagle-L, not so much.
Old 12-23-2018, 11:24 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 59
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 252 Times in 164 Posts

There are a couple that come to mind: Teebird and Judge. Teebirds just feel odd, and I have a hard time getting a clean release. Same with Judge more or less.
Old 12-23-2018, 11:25 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 7
Niced 303 Times in 177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripEnemy View Post
The Wizard
What do you mean "The Wizard" .... there's nothing to not like about the Wizard

Old 12-23-2018, 11:48 AM

Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeypaws View Post
There are a couple that come to mind: Teebird and Judge. Teebirds just feel odd, and I have a hard time getting a clean release. Same with Judge more or less.
Sry but I dont understand this "weird grip, clean release, thin rim etc. " thingy. I have thrown many many different discs and none of them felt so weird I couldn't play with them. Discs are so similar that they all feel more or less the same. I understand that people with small hands cant get a good grip with high speed drivers.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk