Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

View Poll Results: What do you find most annoying about the new disc golf scene?
Kids, damn kids on my lawn. It never used to be popular and crowded. 26 16.99%
The sun is hotter than it used to be! 17 11.11%
The attitude that Ed's dead long live McBeth.. Don't these kids know where we came from! 0 0%
Trading "hippies" for "hipsters" 14 9.15%
Too many discs! Back in my day it was a putter, mid and driver. 10 6.54%
The reclassification of my current distance driver as a "fairway driver" 4 2.61%
Mowed and manicured courses, back in my day the rough was rough! 3 1.96%
Thumber, tomahawks, OH.. That's not how a disc is supposed to fly dumbass 8 5.23%
Some 14 year old throwing 200' further than me. 52 33.99%
I've got my own complaint.. See below. 19 12.42%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-10-2019, 07:56 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 27
Niced 481 Times in 197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowaEnvy View Post
I agree mostly with Earthrocker but the entitlement to "nothing" is a self fulfilling prophecy.. Work ethic has gone out the window and has been replaced with a "Why should I try?" attitude. The internet has made people tremendously self absorbed and detached from real life experiences.

I love my kid and she's great, better than most but still guilty of doing the minimum effort and she doesn't get that from me.. It's like they think everything they want should just happen on its own, and it probably won't happen so why bother trying.

Life should deliver all of the goodies gift wrapped on my doorstep like everything else does from Amazon
I dunno.

my wife teaches and it amazes me the way the kids work. I did nothing through school, always the bare minimum or less, these kids today are on it all day long filling up free time with revision classes and more. She teaches in an inner city school with a very low socio-democratic intake and the vast majority of the kids work a damned site harder than me or my peers did going through state grammar schools.

Our brand new 15 year British Open champ is a great kid - every time I drive him to leagues or an event he's doing homework in the back seat whilst we chat rubbish up front. His attitude on the course blows me away as well, polite, respectful, eager to learn, not out of his depth amongst adults.

There is literally no way in the world I was the same at that age and I played on a number of adult soccer teams from about 13 onwards.

University students really surprised me as well over the last 10 years. When I went it was a 3 year drinking session with a lecture thrown in every now and again. I play with quite a few nowadays and they put work above Disc Golf - again no way I would have done at that age, I would have been playing and making up excuses for why I hadn't done the assignment. Most of my peers were the same.

I feel we were a pretty entitled generation, those born in the 70's to early 80's, we were told that you just had to go through school and then university and you would have a job waiting for you (which had genuinely been the case the generation before) . Turns out it was a bit of a surprise at the other end of the track. The kids today know they have to work their a&&es off through both school and university to have any chance of a good job at the end of it and probably endure 6 months to a year of unpaid internships to boot.

I'm generally more impressed by the next generation coming through than I am with my own and the ones above me.
Sponsored Links

Old 07-10-2019, 03:25 PM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I vote : Kids, damn kids on my lawn. It never used to be popular and crowded

Niced: (1)

Last edited by adalah; 07-10-2019 at 03:29 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:05 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.3
Courses Played: 158
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 445 Times in 192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plastic Thunder View Post
This thread reminds me of an event on the ice a few years back. I'm a defenseman, and I was officiating, running clinics a bit at the time so I spent 6 nights a week on the ice. This night it was Beer "B" League. Pretty good players, mostly young, skill and speed a move average. I was having a good night, couple of points, my shot was on from the point, and then about half way through the second period I drew a 2 minute minor on some trumped up checking call where I rubbed someone just a bit too hard. So as I am headed to the penalty box really slowly because I got caught on a long shift, I get cross checked from behind and I said to the second guy "what's that all about?" He said, "we can catch you when you're skating", I laughed and said, "really can't keep up with a guy in his fifties?" The guy was 28.
Yeah but you are like 8 feet tall so 3 or 4 strides and you all the way down the ice.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:05 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 194 Times in 95 Posts

For those looking to back check to see if 14 year old can throw farther than you.

https://www.pdga.com/tour/event/41855

Ekkk. I "might" have pulled out the win in Juniors under 12.

Old 07-12-2019, 12:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.3
Courses Played: 94
Niced 1,717 Times in 749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcinmd View Post
For those looking to back check to see if 14 year old can throw farther than you.

https://www.pdga.com/tour/event/41855

Ekkk. I "might" have pulled out the win in Juniors under 12.
Heck, everyone throws farther than I do- don't know why a 14 year old would be any different.

Niced: (2)
Old 07-12-2019, 01:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 19
Niced 789 Times in 468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
...or they just prefer to play with players of a similar age group for a more pleasant day. Not everyone's motivation for playing is the same- this manifests itself more than anywhere else in the age based divisions.
For the lower rated players I agree. But I do not agree a 940+rated player is playing with 850 rated old dudes just because of the social aspect.
Old 07-12-2019, 02:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
For the lower rated players I agree. But I do not agree a 940+rated player is playing with 850 rated old dudes just because of the social aspect.
Why not? Do you really think someone who has worked hard enough at dg to be 940 rated in their old age is just out to win some discs off of some guys who suck?

Niced: (2)
Old 07-12-2019, 02:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 19
Niced 789 Times in 468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
Why not? Do you really think someone who has worked hard enough at dg to be 940 rated in their old age is just out to win some discs off of some guys who suck?
Yes, but it could also just be about the ego of winning. It's more fun to win than lose.
Old 07-12-2019, 02:35 PM
* Ace Member *

i like to win a lot but i sure wouldn't step down to ma50 to do it.

Old 07-12-2019, 02:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.3
Courses Played: 240
Niced 1,567 Times in 691 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
In this area, you would be wrong.

Every part of this discussion has two sides. It might be asked, what is the motivation for the 850 rated player, playing in a division with 900+ rated old guys.

IMO, this just ends up being the "bagger" discussion. 950 rated players are playing their rating and exactly where they belong in age protected divisions. It is akin to the calling them baggers.....and we all know what bagger really means. YOU BEAT ME AND I AM BITTER.

Last edited by ru4por; 07-12-2019 at 02:38 PM.