Old 08-12-2019, 06:21 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 15
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 462 Times in 280 Posts

ROCS ONLY FOREVER!!!!

What this guy needs is a lot of used rocs off eBay. Then to just play, only with rocs and a putter. That should sort it all out.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2019, 06:53 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 436 Times in 198 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirtydirtybirds View Post
What this guy needs is a lot of used rocs off eBay. Then to just play, only with rocs and a putter. That should sort it all out.
Sometimes I think about selling stacks of beat DX Rocs to clear up some space.

What do other Roc throwers do with the beat up flippy Rocs that have gone through a cycle? Call me sentimental, but I remember the various stages and memorable throws my old Rocs went through, almost like looking back at memories with friends.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-12-2019, 07:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39.5
Courses Played: 95
Niced 796 Times in 302 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaROCaM View Post

What do other Roc throwers do with the beat up flippy Rocs that have gone through a cycle? Call me sentimental, but I remember the various stages and memorable throws my old Rocs went through, almost like looking back at memories with friends.
My beat up Rocs go away when they break or crack, never before. I've never beat a Roc into unusable condition and I throw a lot of DX.

Old 08-12-2019, 07:38 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 24
Niced 440 Times in 251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innova63 View Post
Funny how every comparison is to Innova plastic.
This, and the flight comparisons (not just Rocs) Beat Teebird, Fresh Thunderbird, Flippy Destroyer... whatever has got me slowly but surely moving my mixed bag to more and more Innova with some Innova made like Discmania/Infinite.

I have been thinking about my mid line up and have quite a few random Rocs and just went and bought a whole bunch of KC and DX Rocs of various sorts.

I am not sure I can let go of the Compass just yet... but I may be very close to a full on Roc conversion.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:19 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,349 Times in 683 Posts

Quote:

I'll buy a few of your flippers.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:55 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 24.7
Courses Played: 134
Niced 2,182 Times in 827 Posts

Quote:

I mean I have a surplus of beat Rocs because of the cycle, but all of them are still perfectly good beat Rocs. I've got a lot of stuff I'd sell to free up space before I'd get rid of all those beat Rocs.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-12-2019, 10:02 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 15
Niced 462 Times in 280 Posts

I will gladly take your “retired” DX rocs. Can’t be too floppy to me.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:32 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 24
Niced 440 Times in 251 Posts

Ok... so question

Star/s-line is probably my favorite plastic for drivers, maybe Pro for something that is supposed to be flippy or an OS mold I want to get flippy and glide.

But star plastic for mids feels ... not right. i have liked the feeling of champ or champ like plastic for mids a lot. I've liked baseline (at least KCpro and DX) mids.

Through whatever means, players packs and raffle and am payouts I have a few Rocs

I have a couple star and a champ Roc3. Have not thrown any of them but like the feeling of the champ more.
Also have a San Marino Roc. I thought I had a Vroc somewhere but must have gotten rid of it somewhere.
Is there much flight difference expected right away from DX vs Star vs Champ?
I know in drivers it has a lot to do with shape from the DX. From my experience a lot of DX teebirds and destroyers look nothing like what they look like molded in other plastics but in Rocs they look the same.

The San Marino looks SUPER understable, I don't have calipers but the PLH is noticeably lower and with a really domey top. Less plussy rim though. Reading through this thread now that i've started experimenting with them they all feel a little plussy, some more than others. Is that what is expected from these?

My way of determining a + rim is spinning the disc on my index finger. My KC and R3's and RX3's all feel plussy they fly off my finger. The DX rocs will spin around and I can catch them again but still don't feel super solid like... my compass'

Plus rim flys off my finger when I do this:

Old 08-13-2019, 02:11 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 436 Times in 198 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
My beat up Rocs go away when they break or crack, never before. I've never beat a Roc into unusable condition and I throw a lot of DX.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
I'll buy a few of your flippers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
I mean I have a surplus of beat Rocs because of the cycle, but all of them are still perfectly good beat Rocs. I've got a lot of stuff I'd sell to free up space before I'd get rid of all those beat Rocs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirtydirtybirds View Post
I will gladly take your “retired” DX rocs. Can’t be too floppy to me.
Haha I figured people just kept them. I have gotten rid of almost all my other extras/molds that I don't throw. What I'm keeping is either new or various levels of seasoned so there's backups for any slot. The beat Rocs are useful for sure, especially since I've lost a couple flippy Rocs this year. No worries about having a backup or needing to beat something in since I have these bins with replacements ready to go.

Still, usually I only bag one really beat Roc, so there are quite a few backups already, not to mention the ones in the cycle that will get to that point. So as long as I don't lose/break a bunch, the backup stash of beat Rocs will only grow.

Nice to know that there are good homes for beat up Rocs, if I ever decide I really have too many.

Again, though, I still find it hard to let go, since there are memories attached. For example, in the back of one of my bins there's a chewed up looking orange DX Roc that has small pieces of rock embedded in it. I still remember the last time I threw it, when it hit so many chains that I was sure it was an ace, but it splashed out somehow. When I think about letting it go, somehow it feels like it's telling me I can't because we have unfinished business to attend to.

How many really beat Rocs are y'all holding on to?

Old 08-13-2019, 10:28 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 24.7
Courses Played: 134
Niced 2,182 Times in 827 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putt for D'oh View Post
Ok... so question

Star/s-line is probably my favorite plastic for drivers, maybe Pro for something that is supposed to be flippy or an OS mold I want to get flippy and glide.

But star plastic for mids feels ... not right. i have liked the feeling of champ or champ like plastic for mids a lot. I've liked baseline (at least KCpro and DX) mids.

Through whatever means, players packs and raffle and am payouts I have a few Rocs

I have a couple star and a champ Roc3. Have not thrown any of them but like the feeling of the champ more.
Also have a San Marino Roc. I thought I had a Vroc somewhere but must have gotten rid of it somewhere.
Is there much flight difference expected right away from DX vs Star vs Champ?
I know in drivers it has a lot to do with shape from the DX. From my experience a lot of DX teebirds and destroyers look nothing like what they look like molded in other plastics but in Rocs they look the same.

The San Marino looks SUPER understable, I don't have calipers but the PLH is noticeably lower and with a really domey top. Less plussy rim though. Reading through this thread now that i've started experimenting with them they all feel a little plussy, some more than others. Is that what is expected from these?

My way of determining a + rim is spinning the disc on my index finger. My KC and R3's and RX3's all feel plussy they fly off my finger. The DX rocs will spin around and I can catch them again but still don't feel super solid like... my compass'

Plus rim flys off my finger when I do this:

I'm not sure I follow all this so I apologize if I'm not answering your question.

The San Marino is probably just stable. If you are comparing it to Roc3's it's going to look domey; it's probably fine.

In my experience Star tend to be domier VS other plastics, which in the Roc has always meant less stable. Domey in Rocs also tends to = plussy feeling rim. Star Rancho Rocs usually just mold up with drummer tops and plussy rims. I avoid them. I have a Star Ontario that is $ $ $, though. I wish I had more. Just in my opinion Champs fly pretty beefy with less glide out than a DX, but it's a manageable flight pattern that is useful. DX starts just a little less stable with a noticeable amount of improved glide. All the Rancho Stars I've had started out less stable than DX and pretty squirrelly in the wind, but I've never come across a "good" Star Rancho.

IMO Rancho Rocs always had borderline plussy rims; when they mold up funny it pushes them over the line. That's why I found it funny that they made Roc+'s in the first place; the original mold was already using that concept to a slighter degree.