Old 03-25-2014, 01:06 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 63
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 13 Times in 4 Posts
Default Innova involvement?

So last fall i spoke with a local county park about the idea of a course. The immediately loved the idea and with money concerns asked me to design it. I took 4 months for the design phase and we got the course approved by the county commission. We have since in the last month started clearing and cutting some trees. The park head called Innova last week to get a quote on baskets. Innova then apparently contacted the regional innova pro to come take a look at the course to "make sure it is safe". For one, is this normal??? Also what business is it of Innova's where we put the baskets. My fear is the pro will come and either nix the entire project or suggest a lot of changes on a course I've put a lot of time and effort into, especially with it already being approved.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2014, 01:35 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 86
Niced 66 Times in 44 Posts

Recently there was an incident where a woman was hit by a disc and she filed a lawsuit. It seems that Innova is making sure incidents like that do not happen again. If you took safety considerations into account then you have nothing to worry about.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:47 AM
Birdie Member

yeah i read about the woman that lost an eye in cali. But isnt she filing suit against the parks & rec? Innova wouldn't be liable I wouldn't think. And I did keep conflicts to a minimum but it is a park with walking paths. There is no blind shots into walking paths. If golfers give way to other park goers there would be no problem.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:48 AM
Birdie Member

Also the pro that is coming to make sure its safe, i have played several of his designed courses and they seem more dangerous than the one I designed.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:47 AM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 360
Niced 708 Times in 247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_b_4 View Post
yeah i read about the woman that lost an eye in cali. But isnt she filing suit against the parks & rec? Innova wouldn't be liable I wouldn't think.
Even when you prevail in court, litigation is expensive, and its not unheard of in personal injury cases for plaintiffs with an ambulance chaser attorney to sue anyone who they think might have deep pockets so they can get a settlement.

Quote:
If golfers give way to other park goers there would be no problem.
When you have a game played largely by unsupervised male teen-twenty-and thirtysomethings, many of them carrying wide rimmed drivers that they can't throw, if is a mighty big consideration. I can't blame Innova for making sure their I's are dotted and T's are crossed before they commit their product to be installed.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:51 AM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 360
Niced 708 Times in 247 Posts

I might also point out that its not just Innova that cares about how their product is represented. Here's a story about Gateway from some years back, about an incident which some suggest never happened, or at the least didn't happen the way the author of the story suggests.

http://www.kansasdiscgolf.com/forum/...pic.php?t=1165

Last edited by scarpfish; 03-25-2014 at 02:54 AM.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:05 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 67
Niced 659 Times in 320 Posts

Follow the money. Innova wants to sell more. More baskets, more discs, more accessories. The Innova pro will suggest signage, a pro shop, clinics, etc. Not bad things at all, but yeah I'd be pissed if he/she came in and started busting my design apart.
Unless my design really sucked.

Make sure you are there when they come. And don't back down. Or, tell the parks dept. to tell Innova all you want to do is order baskets and there are plenty of other vendors to buy them from.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:45 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 269
Niced 55 Times in 40 Posts

You should be glad experienced course designers and players will be involved. I am curious why you did not consult an experienced player or course designer initially. I have played several new courses over the past couple of years that would have benefited from this. I heard of 1 course that a landscape designer (not sure if the guy has played a round or has just played a couple of courses) laid out a course via google maps instead of walking the property that will be unplayable for 3-4 months each year due to the lack of course maintenance and overgrowth. I also think it benefits new courses to design them in the summer and spring vs winter due to visible foliage that may frustrate players and deter traffic. Good luck with the project.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:54 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39.5
Courses Played: 95
Niced 797 Times in 303 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

I agree that you should appreciate the feedback from an experience designer. It can only help.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:40 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.4
Courses Played: 27
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Also what business is it of Innova's where we put the baskets.
Disc golf IS Innova's business. If this trend of folks getting smashed in the face continues, they stand more to lose than just about anyone. I actually applaud them for extending the resources to oversee design and installation.