Old 06-27-2014, 10:40 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,348 Times in 682 Posts

Haven't gotten a chance to throw it yet. Will tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2014, 05:28 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 263
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 93 Times in 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post
TBird? Anyone?
I like the gold line better; it feels grippier in my hand and I feel like I can control it better. The platinum gets slick and is harder to grip once it wears
Old 06-28-2014, 05:33 PM
Free at Last

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 1
Niced 1,136 Times in 583 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_a_miller View Post
I like the gold line better; it feels grippier in my hand and I feel like I can control it better. The platinum gets slick and is harder to grip once it wears
Good to know. Thanks.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:33 PM
Free at Last

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 1
Niced 1,136 Times in 583 Posts

I only threw my Squirrel twice today, but both times it did its job. It's such an easy disc to effortlessly throw straight. Any time I need the tight shot, with maybe a touch of left to right movement, or the surefire anny, I'll be reaching for the Squirrel.
Old 07-05-2014, 03:32 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Was finally able to get the chance to throw the Flying Squirrel, Antidote, and Crosslap Lucky side by side, and all three of them impressed the hell out of me. It's amazing how similar they were despite having three very distinct wing profiles and three different plastic feels despite all being in Champ-style.

In a wide open field with a very slight tailwind, all three were easily flipped to flat out to 300' with only the Lucky continuing over slightly from flat. I witnessed the same thing with the Antidote the last time I threw it against the Flying Squirrel so I imagine I'll be able to get it to remain flat with a little more work like I was with the Antidote today.

Where the differences really showed were in the low speed fade portion of its flight. The Lucky had the strongest fade, with the Flying Squirrel in the middle, and the Antidote fading the least. With the stronger low speed fade, I think the Lucky will excel on nose up death approaches. Its gummier plastic will help with that as well. I'm looking forward to giving all three a deeper test to see if any will dethrone the Squirrel, and I will have to give a bigger review at that point.

I want to thank ElementZ for his generosity in sending the Lucky my way. I'm sorry it took me so long to actually give it a test.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:51 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,185 Times in 530 Posts

third, your comparisons are pretty interesting. I kinda wish GGGT would have had some Antidotes left in stock when I picked out my US mid contestants.

I ended up with the Gold Flying Squirrel, 400g M5, and Star Stingray. As you mentioned in your review, I was pretty surprised how close the flights were given the drastically different rim shapes on these discs. I could likely interchange any of them for that slot in my bag and be fine. There were slight differences, of course: Most US was the Stingray, then the M5, then the Squirrel. And just reverse that order for low speed fade. Not that any of them had a lot.
On a hyzer flip at full power, the Stingray would essentially barrel roll and continue the turn. The M5 will flip up and continue to drift right. The Squirrel would flip up and sorta leak to the right, but was the only one that looked like it was trying to fight back out of it and hook up. Held a wonderful anhyzer line though.

At this point, the Squirrel and M5 are both bagged so I can figure out the eventual winner. The M5 has a leg up currently because the 400g plastic is ridiculously nice, and it's a little more comfortable in the hand. Though I do kind of want to pull for the Squirrel just for the novelty of it.
Old 07-06-2014, 12:21 PM
Banned

Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

if you guys havent tried a tursas youre missing out. its free of religious propaganda too!
Old 07-06-2014, 12:39 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

I haven't thrown the M5, but I know what you mean about rim comfort. The Squirrel has a pretty unconventional rim from what I'm used to throwing. It hasn't really bothered me beyond the first couple throws, but the Lucky and Antidote both "fit like a glove" comparatively. I've carried the Squirrel for a while now, and I would be lying if I didn't say rim comfort was one of the biggest factors in why I'm continuing my testing.
Old 07-06-2014, 12:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,185 Times in 530 Posts

Yeah, the Squirrel rim isn't necessarily uncomfortable, just different. The big notch in it just feels slightly goofy at first. I don't think it has affected my throws with it at all.
But the M5 rim is a little unconventional also, so...

Old 07-06-2014, 04:46 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 42
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolangherity View Post
if you guys havent tried a tursas youre missing out. its free of religious propaganda too!
Agreed. During Pro Worlds last year the owner of ABC gave me a Flying Squirrel because i was talking up the Tursas. I messed around with it for a few weeks and didn't ever get the feel for it. I believbe the main reason i did not like it was because of the flashing. It hurt my fingers to throw since it was so sharp. I tried to remove some of it(Sandpaper,Exacto knife) but could not get it to a comfortable place.

I have since given that disc to a beginner friend of mine and he loves it.