Old 02-10-2012, 10:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13
Courses Played: 108
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 510 Times in 226 Posts

I didn't even check out his dg video yet, but I will. I've seen a couple of his trick shot videos on youtube and enjoyed them... much in the same way that I have enjoyed Cubby's videos.

Regardless of multiple attempts at the shots, how easy it is for a good player to roll a disc into a can, etc. it's still fun for me to watch them.

Now, trying to pass these off as "typical" shots of the sport of disc golf would be unacceptable because that's not how it really works and it would belittle our sport.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2012, 11:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 5
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Too all the people complaining about refs, it isn't just about the spirit of the game. Ultimate play is continuous. It never stops, except for a foul or after a team scores. It would be practically impossible to ref, because it is too fast paced. The honor system works pretty well, because there are enough players on the field (at least enough honest ones) to catch stuff. If there is the occasional idiot who calls everything or nothing, that isn't enough reason to totally change the way the game is played.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:06 PM
Marketplace Guru

Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 317
Niced 46 Times in 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsman View Post
What kind of person names their kid brodie?
Is that to ensure your kid grows to be a d bag??
my dog's name is brodie.... he's a stupid 50 pound boxer...
Old 02-10-2012, 11:26 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.5
Courses Played: 569
Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts

I guess we'd be messing up if we didn't get this Brodie Smith Video in the thread:

DSCJNKY
Old 02-10-2012, 11:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.8
Courses Played: 156
Niced 648 Times in 271 Posts

I'm not looking to flame anyone, but are DG'rs really so insecure that we need more videos like this to "build" our sport? Do we need to grow by leaps and bounds to make us feel "legitimate"? IMO disc golf is growing fast enough as it is. I do realize growth means more courses, and i'm all for that, but I think there is a down side to growing too quickly (poorly designed courses comes to mind). The exception may be an area that has NO course nearby. I could see a scenario where there is a high number of courses in a concentrated area and other groups wondering "why do they need so many courses?" and then lobbying for some of that space, i.e. maybe a course being pulled. Steady,smart growth is where it's at.

We all love disc golf, and we know why we love it. We don't need a circus side show to legitimize it for us.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:04 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12
Courses Played: 52
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSCJNKY View Post
I guess we'd be messing up if we didn't get this Brodie Smith Video in the thread:
DSCJNKY
That whole "battle" was a fun one to watch
Old 02-11-2012, 12:05 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 12
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Too all the people complaining about refs, it isn't just about the spirit of the game. Ultimate play is continuous. It never stops, except for a foul or after a team scores. It would be practically impossible to ref, because it is too fast paced. The honor system works pretty well, because there are enough players on the field (at least enough honest ones) to catch stuff. If there is the occasional idiot who calls everything or nothing, that isn't enough reason to totally change the way the game is played.
Ultimate is not that fast paced, you talk about a sport that doesn't stop, look at soccer. That is refereed, and it goes on longer than the average Ultimate game. Ultimate will never be a legitimate sport until OBJECTIVE refs are implemented. Play Ultimate at the college level, players are only concerned about their personal performance (I know, it's a generalization). I once witnessed a joke of an athlete argue that since, "i stopped rotation of the disc", even though he dropped it, that it was a catch. What a joke. Right now, it is completely SUBJECTIVE and it kills the game because way too many Ultimate athletes are whiners and can't accept that there are better players than them. I could go on for days, but I'll stop hijacking this thread.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:14 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 41
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnROutlaw View Post
Ultimate will never be a legitimate sport
Been saying this since I first witnessed this abomination
Old 02-11-2012, 02:11 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 55
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnROutlaw View Post
Ultimate is not that fast paced, you talk about a sport that doesn't stop, look at soccer. That is refereed, and it goes on longer than the average Ultimate game. Ultimate will never be a legitimate sport until OBJECTIVE refs are implemented. Play Ultimate at the college level, players are only concerned about their personal performance (I know, it's a generalization). I once witnessed a joke of an athlete argue that since, "i stopped rotation of the disc", even though he dropped it, that it was a catch. What a joke. Right now, it is completely SUBJECTIVE and it kills the game because way too many Ultimate athletes are whiners and can't accept that there are better players than them. I could go on for days, but I'll stop hijacking this thread.
Disc rotation stops, which counts as possession, and he dropped it, which counts as a throw. People are idiots...

Old 02-11-2012, 04:59 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40.4
Courses Played: 386
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 117 Times in 63 Posts

Amazing, all the hate here for a disc sport that precedes disc golf. Funny, disc golf was created 'cause objects and baskets never complained when you couldn't throw for $4!t to your partner. Instead, nowadays I'm treated to a lot of childish whining from frolf players who can't cope with their inadequacies.