Old 07-04-2007, 09:27 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40.8
Courses Played: 428
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 151 Times in 74 Posts
Default What is Par?

The issue of Par is a pretty big one that it would be good to tackle. I firmly believe that quantifying course difficulty depends on an accurate par. I'd like to make sure that we're in some kind of agreement about how to determine par because there are a couple of hundred ways to do it out there. They all basically follow one of 3 philosophies, though.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2007, 09:30 AM
* Ace Member *

Default Abolish Pro par and Rec par distinctions

Personally, I'd like to see the "Pro Par" column taken out of these reviews. There should only be one par per layout of a hole, just as in traditional golf.
"Pro par" assumes that there is also a "Rec Par" and I think that's counter productive.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:41 PM
*Administrator*

Years Playing: 17.8
Courses Played: 257
Niced 930 Times in 304 Posts

Well a lot of courses mark both on the score card/signs which is where the pro par came from and I wanted the site to reflect that accurately. For example, Baker Farm has a few holes with different pars for different tees. From what I've seen so far, pro par is used when you shoot from the far tee and the regular par from the next, closer tee.

Also, the way I usually figure out par is to find a score card or check the course signage. If neither of the two are available then I tend to leave out that info.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:04 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 13.8
Courses Played: 78
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Baker Farm has a 911' par 4! One of the courses I added has the opposite problem. Monroeville Park has some so-called Par 5's under 300', though this is what the course designer supposedly wanted since it was on the signs that were originally posted.
This short community park course has two sets of tees, which I would generously call "Red" and "White". But this website only has a place for "Par" and "Pro-Par" as well as length and pro-length. It would be nice to see columns for red, white, and blue since many of the better courses seem to have all of these tees, perhaps with an "other" column as well to cover the occasional "gold" tees, etc.
FWIW, the PDGA does seem to have criteria on what "Par" should be, but unless we can find bona-fide numbers indicating what a course designer has designated as par (from signs or official scorecards, etc), then I agree we best leave that column blank rather than take our best guess at what we think par should be.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:13 PM
*Administrator*

I was actually thinking about adding more spots for tees just yesterday.. in my area the colors tends to be yellow/red/blue. Maybe I could just label them tee #1/tee #2/tee #3 or something along those lines.

I've been using the long tees and the next closest for par/pro par and leaving out the closest set of tees. I'll have to add these in when I get a chance
Old 07-06-2007, 04:01 PM
*Administrator*

Just implemented the various tees. I think it turned out pretty nice, not too crowdy.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:18 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 13.8
Courses Played: 78
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timg View Post
Just implemented the various tees. I think it turned out pretty nice, not too crowdy.
Looks good, Tim. I've updated data for a few of the courses accordingly.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:58 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by timg View Post
I was actually thinking about adding more spots for tees just yesterday.. in my area the colors tends to be yellow/red/blue. Maybe I could just label them tee #1/tee #2/tee #3 or something along those lines.
Tee colors vary wildly around the country. Courses should be moving toward the PDGA standard designations (from longest to shortest) of Gold, Blue, White, Red, Green, Purple, but it's a very slow process as people get educated about these standards.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:37 AM
*Administrator*

Wow.. are green and purple right next to the baskets? Usually the reds are fairly close (around here).

I just went with the standard colors for the site that I looked up on the pdga site. It seemed like a safe bet.

Old 07-09-2007, 11:47 AM
* Ace Member *

Default Purple Courses

I never saw a purple course.
I never hope to see one.
But I can tell you, anyhow,
I'd rather see than play one.