Old 01-19-2013, 02:01 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.8
Courses Played: 92
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to hedfan1

Very Interesting!

I am having a hard time grasping the ability to give away a dry-fit shirt plus other swag with just a $20 entrance fee. I can't find a whole sale cost that low for an order of 25.

I started this league in 2011 for the sole purpose of improving our poor inadequate course baskets, tees, bridges, etc. Since this league has started it has morphed into so much more than that. We now run a yearly clinic on how-to disc golf. We have worked out forming two new courses in a 15 mile radius, both were designed by league players, one by me and one from a member but also a student at the local collage, so he got one going there, plus our action has spurred the start of 2 more leagues in neighboring cities, which spurred them to ask me to help design a new course in one of those towns.

I want this league to be simple and fun, I've found out the less the members are asked about what they want the more they enjoy it, I've been told, you plan it, I'll play it.

Our Demographic has the youngest, 18 to the oldest, 55. Average age of members 23 so it is a much younger crowd. I do not want anyone under 16 unless with a legal guardian.

No one CURRENTLY between 34 to 54. I also, do not see to many of those ages on the course.

I was thinking
$20 early registration
$25 regular registration
$2.00 Events (I like the idea of collecting the cash and handing it back out for retail merchandise at some local stores.)
Optional course donation's (for those who like to hoard their pennies)
Tuesday League Events (Ace Race, Doubles, Handi-cap, 3-disc, etc.)
Sunday Social (A generic time for people to come out and play at leisure for fun, no cost, but also no organization from the league besides discussion on league page.

You get a...
Tag
Bigger Swag idea
Smaller Swag idea
Discount on league events
$10 Tournaments (members)
$15 Tournaments (Non-Members)
3 1/2 months long for member league (18 events) (4 league tournaments)
Other months have stuff going on, still be pay to play sometimes but not member oriented.

What kind of persuasion do you use when looking to sign on league sponsors? Do you push your members spending at their location? Push your ability to advertise for them during events? Maybe just asking for support for the league and not promising advertising or patronage? Other ideas?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2013, 02:13 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 12
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

The NIDGC (North Idaho Disc Golf Club) runs a league from March till October at the local courses and this is their format.

25 dollars gets you a club disc and a bag tag (20 dollars the next year gets you a disc and a free bag tag)

For non members to play it's 3 dollars (2 of which goes to cover the insurance the club bought to circumvent the PDGA insurance), 1 dollar ace pot, 1 dollar CTP (usually 2 CTP's per league round), 4 dollar Super Ace Pot (no cap limit). Members get to play for a buck instead of 3.

They have two different bag tags. 1 is Scratch and one is Handicap. We work the average for the handicap out after two rounds at the course being played (we alternate between two different courses, 1 each week).

They also have a scratch and handicap pay in (2 dollars for each, guaranteed to be paid out at the end of the round). The person who runs it is also the owner of a local disc golf store, all the funds procured either go back to course improvements or throwing a big tournament at the end of the year (Farragut Open). Our turn out for league play is usually 30-40 people with the youngest being around 11 and the oldest be dear old Jack B (79 years young this year).

This format seems to have worked wonders as it was different a few years ago and we had nowhere near the turnout. Our regular dollar ace pot is capped at 100 bucks with it being rolled over (last year, you could've hit 5 aces in a 5 week period during league and gotten a 100 bucks each time). The ace pot was only hit twice last year so the remaining ace pot was split, half donated to the local humane society and half put up in pay out for our yearly ending league tournament. The half that was donated was voted on and had a resounding and overwhelming amount of support from the members.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:28 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I like the roll over ace pot. That' I will be incorporating.

So we had our meeting and everything went not at planned. I had prepared for me and three other guys, nine showed up. So as ten of us sat around a table meant for six max was rather interesting trying to get good eye contact with everyone but the food I got went to the three that confirmed attendance and the rest got water.

Any way, we got to discussing the calender and what days would be designated league days. I got through the length of the season and then the conversation spun off and I ended up using my freestyle meeting technique. I sat back and listened, took notes and spit out on occasion some topics I wanted to hear about. For the first time in two years people were speaking openly to each other about their thoughts on the league while I was in hearing distance. I heard about pricing, events they liked, disliked and what they would like to try. They discussed structure and what they thought the leagues goals should be. Fundraising ideas, not so much. They talked about how we could get new people coming to events. Inter league competition. St. Cloud? Wadena? Ironton? League members want to connect with other areas and do a little traveling. Last year I asked about Tee Pads, no one thought it was our duty to pay but they didn't want to suggest ideas on how to accomplish that. This year they talked about how they could network to find sponsors and wanting league funds for course allocation to be allocated to tee pads. They talked about competition vs "fun" play. So we came up with about a dozen game variations that we are going host, making it more inviting for those who are not looking to compete every week but more so looking to socialize and make some throws. They thought that might be a good way to draw a few more members and non-members out to the course that wouldn't normally come out to "lose" weekly because they are not as good. Lots more, but to me, even though I got almost nothing covered I was hoping to, I got so much more and now I don't need to draw in a large number next time to finalize the schedule.

Thank you to all for your suggestions and advice. I took bits and pieces from each and every one of you and I hope they add to the success I hope to have in Leagues this year!!
Old 02-19-2013, 09:39 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 25
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I like the fact that my league at Emerald disc golf course is year round, there is no start date and no end date. It is a dollar to play one night, and one dollar for ace pot. The one dollar goes to the course, and maybe even putting other courses in the east valley(not sure on the last one). I like the fact that it is handicapped based. There are usually three prizes, one for the handicapped winner, one for the non handicapped winner, and one for a CTP prize. Prizes vary from gift certificates, free play at a local pay to play, 25% off the local dg store, free food, and random other stuff. I am there to improve, the socialization, and of course hit the ace pot(one day, I will). If I win anything, that is all extra.

The emerald dg group also does free tourneys for members every year. The cost of the membership goes towards improving the course and whatnot.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 330
Niced 2,733 Times in 1,300 Posts

The guys who run it, and the dedication they have to making sure we have quality events, reasonable fees, well cared for courses, quality league packages, occasional freebees and assorted CTPs and sometimes longest putt prizes... Plus they do summer and winter leagues. Proud to be MCCG.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:45 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 25
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Oh, also The guy who runs the league helped the course get concrete tee pads and better signs a few years back. More recently he has made more pin positions available, and help start and design other courses in the area. One went at a golf course, another one will be installed shortly at a golf course, and two 18 hole courses with one bieng a champion course is planned.

There are other leagues at other courses nearby, but this is by far the cheapest one.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:24 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 43
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Because it's basically all of the people I like that play disc golf, all meeting on one day and having a good time. Me and a buddy of mine started it back up after our city didn't have one for a few years, so we basically built it from the ground up. Now we're running weeklies, have run 2 tournaments, are in the process of designing a new course, and have made several changes to our current course.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:02 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sounds like there is alot of grass root gangs out there. That's awesome to hear. When you say you meet every week all year round, does that mean the league president is there 52 weeks a year to collect cash and run the event? During the summer I spend over a month worth of days in the summer where I am showing up to the course to run things. That's in 5 months. If the same guy is there all year round to run things, he deserves more than a $1.00. I would love to have a year round league but I need some down time too. If I had a team of 3-4 people who I could work with to run the $$ scheme each week, that would help.