Old 04-13-2015, 08:43 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 13 Times in 9 Posts

I prefer stiffer star plastic for Destroyers because I mostly throw them sidearm and soft discs are not the business when thrown with that technique. I tend to use the softer ones for backhand because they feel better than the stiff ones for my backhand grip, and also they generally require a little less power to fly correctly.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2015, 10:34 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 3
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Anyone else find that champion Destroyers make great turnover max distance drivers after they are broken in?
Old 04-17-2015, 03:07 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 2 Times in 1 Post

do people think the stiffer blend 3-line AJs are going to become more sought after as this new blend comes into play?
Old 04-17-2015, 03:11 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 135
Niced 69 Times in 33 Posts

how come people throw star not champion? Just because they lose stability? It seems like I've had some nice champion destroyers.
Old 04-17-2015, 03:44 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 43
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinachd View Post
how come people throw star not champion? Just because they lose stability? It seems like I've had some nice champion destroyers.
Star has better glide. I like me some champ D's tho.
An early pop-top champ D is thing of beauty
Old 04-17-2015, 04:35 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 29
Niced 38 Times in 18 Posts

I'm using a mix of champ, star, echo star and pro for my destroyers ATM. The nice overstable star destroyers are to expensive. You can buy ANY champ destroyer and it'll be over stable. Screw the extra 10 feet you get with glide. Isn't worth $40 a disc to me. When my champ breaks in I'll post about it. See if it picks up glide and holds onto the low speed stability.

The echo star destroyers from the factory store are useless. I used one for a few weeks and it is more under stable now then a Avery Jenkins destroyer I used for bit more then a year.

My pro is pop top. Has way more glide then any star I've seen and straight up bombs. I don't throw it anywhere near trees as I'd like to keep it at the stability it is. The e* is already floppy don't need two.

My star is most likely Vulcan top. Better mix of distance & accuracy then champ and pro. Good glide not as much as pro though. Has kept it's low speed stability do far and gained some high speed turn. Does it's job.
Old 04-17-2015, 04:50 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.8
Courses Played: 35
Niced 19 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charris414 View Post
do people think the stiffer blend 3-line AJs are going to become more sought after as this new blend comes into play?
i think eventually they might be a bit more sought after, just like anything 'old' these days.

the 'new blend' star destroyers don't fly bad or anything... the flightplate just feels a bit thin to me and the plastic is definitely gummier.

time will tell when i finally start to season one up i suppose.
Old 04-20-2015, 12:41 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 28
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by charris414 View Post
It's not really the blend of plastic that people are looking for with those, it's the shape of the wing. At one point the Star DS were being run with the "destrulcan" mold - these are generally your 2-line AJ's from a couple of years ago. After that when they went to the 3-line sig (which many were calling the return of good DS), but this was due to the wing shape going back the something very similar to the SDS runs and these also had a good pop top to them. BUT now they are running the destrulcan type mold on the AJ's with 3-line sigs.

Point being if they ever do become worth money it will be because of the mold more-so than the plastic, and will be judged on a case by case basis with the profile being the deciding factor for those seeking specific runs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinachd View Post
Grip and glide are really the main reasons, although some may find them easier to cycle and might be why they stock up.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:26 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 2 Times in 1 Post

thanks for this last post ... I totally agree about the mold being the most important characteristic on the older 3-line AJs with the good wing/dome. this is the run that finally convinced me to start throwing destroyers for good.

I'm trying to stock up on this run as best I can before the market shifts

Old 04-20-2015, 10:20 AM
Pandamonium Discs

Years Playing: 13.8
Courses Played: 175
Niced 751 Times in 341 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
Why do people want stiff Destroyers? Longer break in period (more OS)? Or do all you guys just prefer stiffer star plastic in general for all discs?

I prefer softer star but I don't have any clue if there is some correlation to Destroyer flight...
Im right there with you on the softer star. To me its much better than the super stiff plastic. But its all preference.