Old 06-21-2019, 04:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 330
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,632 Times in 1,262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerface View Post
Why in the hell are there no NT/Majors/DGPT events in Charlotte??? So many amazing courses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Two Worlds in the past 6 years, and the USDGC just outside of town every year.
Lulz... guess those don't count!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2019, 04:39 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 74 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
Those things require more than just amazing courses.

Not to say that Charlotte doesn't have the staffing to pull such events off...as has been stated, Am Worlds just last year, Pro Worlds 6 years ago, and the USDGC barely outside the metro area (what, a 25 minute drive?) every year. But perhaps they don't have the interest or desire to pull off that level of event every year.
The hangover and weariness from 2012 Worlds lasted about 4 years. Then we took on 2018 Worlds. Not quite as stressful this time around. We're noodling what biggie is next.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-21-2019, 05:01 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 499 Times in 238 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinthrift View Post
It's a fair question, and one frequently discussed at our Board level. One issue is the amount of added cash/sponsorship required to successfully host majors. Over the last few years we've been concentrating on getting out of a five-figure debt and building our base of events, courses, leagues and members. Now we've finally got a nice five-figure balance in our bank account, the CDGC will host more than 350 events this year (which includes 12 weekly seasonal leagues) and we'll top 500 members.

Our other focus has been on achieving a long-time goal of federally approved, 501(c)(3) non-profit status -- which we did this year. That certification may well put us in position to be more effective at fund raising, which would help our ability to host majors.

But before we go off hosting majors, we've still got some in-house stuff to take care of. We've a goal of growing our now-350-player Charlotte Amateur Championship into the most vibrant amateur tourney on the planet and a true DG destination event. We've also got to redefine The Carolina Clash and broaden its appeal.

Make no mistake, we'd love to have fields of top pros here, and to have our courses shine on video for all to see. But losing money or budgeting to break even just to host pros (as often happens) is not fiscally responsible, and as we've become more financially astute it is clear we need a solid base first.
Sounds to me like you have an excellent club. I'm just curious. I can recall when the Carolina Clash was big time. I'm not sure if it was an NT, but I remember watching DVDs of Renny and other amazing courses in the area. Charlotte just has such great woods courses which we really lack on tour and it would be awesome to watch some Youtube videos of the best players there.

I'm not sure how my post came off, but it was not a shot at any local organizations. I'm a fan, and was curious why we are not seeing Charlotte on the "pro tour" when it has arguably the best concentration of championship wooded courses in the country.

Not saying USDGC "doesn't count". Of course it counts. I thought that was more of an Innova thing. I guess I did not realize the CDGC resources were being poured into that event.

Thanks for this post. Very informative.
Old 06-21-2019, 05:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.7
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,686 Times in 1,585 Posts

Seems like Charlotte has done some A-tiers, and pretty big ones. But they seem to be going for quantity of events over prestige.

One factor with the USDGC being in a suburb is that it's already bringing the top pros to the Charlotte area once every year. There are only so many stops on the elite-level pro tour (Majors/NT/DGPT), and the more-cohesive scheduling of recent years puts those in the Southeast in the autumn....when the USDGC is already here. So another event in Charlotte would have to be fairly close on the calendar, which adds a little bit of difficulty.

But it's a good question. An elite-level event at, say, Nevin/Renny, would be interesting, and it seems that Charlotte has a big enough scene to do it if they want to.

Of course, wanting to is sometimes the missing ingredient in hosting top-level events, anywhere.
Old 06-21-2019, 06:16 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.9
Courses Played: 702
Niced 1,782 Times in 806 Posts

It should be apparent by now that great courses and clubs/TDs willing to finance big pro events who either have access to sponsor money or are willing to raise it are not always in the same location at the same time.

Niced: (2)
Old 06-21-2019, 09:03 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 89
Niced 42 Times in 25 Posts

If you're cruising on I-10 and pass thru Mobile, AL there are quite a few in that area. I used to call it the DG Mecca of Alabama. They have a Houck-designed course named the Admiral, several decent courses closer to Mobile itself (and a few not so good), and just across Mobile Bay is Daphne AL's little gem of a course. Makes for a decent break on your way to all points east/west along I-10.

Old 06-22-2019, 03:54 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 21.7
Courses Played: 90
Niced 101 Times in 52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimSyl View Post
Grand Rapids????? Really? There are 5 or 6 "metro" areas in Michigan alone that are better.
OK, I'm curious what are they then according to you?
Old 06-24-2019, 11:08 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 107
Niced 54 Times in 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmatt17073 View Post
OK, I'm curious what are they then according to you?
Not that I would agree there are 5 better. I do find it annoying to drive around the greater Holland/Grand Rapids/Muskegon Triangle of amazing disc golf.

The whole state of michigan is pretty fortunate when it comes to disc golf. Pretty much any city with at least 50k people is near at least one 3.5 star course

Old 06-24-2019, 01:38 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 74 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerface View Post
I'm not sure how my post came off, but it was not a shot at any local organizations.

Not saying USDGC "doesn't count". Of course it counts. I thought that was more of an Innova thing. I guess I did not realize the CDGC resources were being poured into that event.
The tone of your post was perfectly fine, and spotlit an issue of importance to our members. To clarify your last point, the only resources the CDGC puts into the USDGC are volunteer hours.

Old 06-24-2019, 04:29 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 420
Niced 857 Times in 304 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose33 View Post
Grand Rapids, Portland, Charlotte are all really good(heck of a necro btw but the info is pretty much all new now.

I also feel that even with the loss of Flyboy Atlanta is pretty high. Hobbs Farm is a Star, boundary waters has two fantastic 18s, Etowah is a fun technical play, and we still have Oregon Park, a redesigned Deer Lick, Perkerson, Wills(GAs oldest existing course), East Roswell, Hunter, White Oak is fairly revitalized and Frog Rock that are all at least a 3 and several are 4+.
Moose, you need to get up to Lula.

I will participate in this necro bump as well, but only in regards to the Original post. Please note that this ranking is based on the quality of the courses, and not the vibe of such area. The disc golf scene should honestly be a reflection of both aspects (course quality and vibe), but its rather impossible for a non local to grade the local player personalities and involvement. In addition, my list is comprised of metros that I have played at least 4 quality courses.

1st tier I'd put Augusta GA, Atlanta, Austin TX.
2nd tier Id put Nashville, Birmingham, Tampa and Orlando.

Metros that I believe the course quality depth hype that i haven't been too but researched heavily. Charlotte, Denver and The Nati.