Old 12-14-2017, 07:38 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 153
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 480 Times in 81 Posts

Judging by the sound of your cage hits (ouch), those putts would have gone in if you would have putted "over the bush". It was an early tip that worked for me, and I've used it to help others get it over the front of the cage. I'll go stand by the basket, between the basket and the person, and tell them they need to putt over the bush in front of the basket, and that I'm the bush right now. Jay Yeti Redding has a good demo about raising the release point for putting.

I also agree with all the above suggestions on how to utilize the legs more effectively. I'd add that it also looks like a small timing error also... you swing fast from the beginning of your putt, vs slow to fast. Even the downswing needs to be slow, slower than the slow start of the forward swing, that's where it all starts.

It also looks to me like you also may be starting the entire forward swing a tad early. To me it feels like the leg drive starts the arm, and when I don't wait for it, I miss. It's especially noticeable on my jump putts, which alerted me to how important it is for all putts. Throttled, controlled leg power, at the right time.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 12-14-2017, 07:32 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 9
Niced 24 Times in 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnstarr View Post
I've been playing for 6 years. I'm working on improving my push putting but struggling with consistency at the edge of the circle. A lot of my putts fall low and wobbly. If i try to add power or spin to correct this, i start missing right to left. Usually high left (im a lefty). Any advice?
I am a lefty push putter as well. I've found that if I am missing high and left, my wrist was hinging during the release. Same thing with low and wobbly putts; my wrist was pitching up or down during the release.

What has worked for me is to focus on my wrist being fixed and to trust the finger spring. This helps get the disc to release in the proper nose orientation with good spin that eliminates wobble. I also am very intentional about my arm going up toward (and through) the center line of my stance. This feels like I am angling my arm slightly upwards to the right. This gets more power on the disc and makes it harder to move my wrist during the release...
Old 12-14-2017, 10:50 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 48
Niced 279 Times in 214 Posts

Finger spring:

Niced: (1)
Old 12-15-2017, 05:07 PM
Par Member

Niced 87 Times in 60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
You aren't countering/pushing your rear hip to drive your weight forward. What you are doing now is shifting your pelvis straight from the load to the putt motion, and relying on just your rear foot to counter the throw. You should feel your rear hip, right in your case, go slightly behind your front hip. This will push all of your weight onto your front leg/hip, and then the rear foot will go up and behind you to more effectively counter the putt.

Because you aren't getting the hip shift the right way I think you're trying to overdo the weight transfer and your shoulders are getting past your front foot, so you then have to kick up your rear foot a bunch to prevent tipping over and stepping/foot faulting.

This is probably in that circle's edge range. Watch how McBeth starts with his pelvis around 45 degrees, and drives his rear hip behind/into the front one to really get his weight forward. He starts at 45 degrees but ends around 70 degrees. If you see him jump putt where he really needs power he almost lands past 180 degrees and slightly backwards to the basket.

That is a good one. I've watched that a few times. I've been practicing a lot of putting lately and recently made 29 out of 30 from 25ft. That is my best streak by far. I'm averaging 80% or a little higher than that from 25ft and probably a little less than that from 30ft but this is practice putting with no pressure. Staying confident is my biggest problem. I miss so many more when I think I'm going to miss. If you can convince yourself that they all should fall in, it seems like most will. Confident positive thinking for me is every bit as important as proper form if not more?? I am still getting back into disc golf after a really long break so it will be interesting to see how I perform out on the course??
Old 12-15-2017, 05:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,602 Times in 1,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubes View Post
That is a good one. I've watched that a few times. I've been practicing a lot of putting lately and recently made 29 out of 30 from 25ft. That is my best streak by far. I'm averaging 80% or a little higher than that from 25ft and probably a little less than that from 30ft but this is practice putting with no pressure. Staying confident is my biggest problem. I miss so many more when I think I'm going to miss. If you can convince yourself that they all should fall in, it seems like most will. Confident positive thinking for me is every bit as important as proper form if not more?? I am still getting back into disc golf after a really long break so it will be interesting to see how I perform out on the course??
Yeah I completely agree. If you aren't thinking that you're going to put it in/through the chains, you've already lost for the most part. Reset and then hit it. Sure practicing there may not be the same pressure, but if are trying to actually hit each putt then it's the same thing pretty much.

I see lots of chuckers or average players who just throw putt after putt at the basket like 1-2 seconds apart. They miss well over half of them, then pick up the discs and repeat. What are they learning? They don't fix the mistake, they don't expect the putt to go in, and they aren't disappointed when they miss. This isn't practicing, this is a waste of time. Putt at a range where you should be hitting basically every putt, but you still have to concentrate. If you miss figure out why and hit the next one.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:27 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 48
Niced 279 Times in 214 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubes View Post
Yes and that's why you see people who can putt really well in practice, get in a tournament and just totally fall apart.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:40 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 896 Times in 744 Posts

I say find a putting style that actually works for you rather then copy a pro. I was copying a pro in 2004 with the cowboy style push style and it was not working with new switch to soft X Putt'r from a old 2000 Rubber Putter did not help. I then modified the same putt to a two handed basketball no spin at all 100% shove putt and that was not working after a while, Change at some point in 2006 early 2007 from soft X Putt'r to Hard D Magnets might be the cause there. When I came back to Disc golf in 2014, then found in 2014 something that works for me much better and has about the same putting float I had before, sticking with Magnets. Not as affected by the wind with the putting style I use now.

Old 12-15-2017, 11:02 PM

Courses Played: 1
Niced 11 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnstarr View Post
I've been playing for 6 years. I'm working on improving my push putting but struggling with consistency at the edge of the circle. A lot of my putts fall low and wobbly. If i try to add power or spin to correct this, i start missing right to left. Usually high left (im a lefty). Any advice?

https://youtu.be/3qvvJIEnmUU

All your throws are extremely nose down. Then you try to adjust by throwing way too high and lift the nose, which makes it go twice as high because it's no longer nose down. Play with your grip and practice from 15 for a while until you can get that nose angle more flat. It can still be down but not that far down. There's just way too much variation on what's going on here to really pinpoint any specific issue.

You could try using a straddle stance and maintain the same arm motion, and see what happens, just as an experiment. At least it would take away a few variables here.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Old 12-19-2017, 12:43 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 19
Niced 113 Times in 60 Posts

Super helpful tip! On days when my putting seemed pretty good I think I was unknowingly doing this hip turn, on bad days I think I was just strong arming without the hip turn. Thanks a bunch for the advice, I can see the benefit in practice already!

Quote:
You aren't countering/pushing your rear hip to drive your weight forward. What you are doing now is shifting your pelvis straight from the load to the putt motion, and relying on just your rear foot to counter the throw. You should feel your rear hip, right in your case, go slightly behind your front hip. This will push all of your weight onto your front leg/hip, and then the rear foot will go up and behind you to more effectively counter the putt.

Because you aren't getting the hip shift the right way I think you're trying to overdo the weight transfer and your shoulders are getting past your front foot, so you then have to kick up your rear foot a bunch to prevent tipping over and stepping/foot faulting.

This is probably in that circle's edge range. Watch how McBeth starts with his pelvis around 45 degrees, and drives his rear hip behind/into the front one to really get his weight forward. He starts at 45 degrees but ends around 70 degrees. If you see him jump putt where he really needs power he almost lands past 180 degrees and slightly backwards to the basket.

Old 11-08-2019, 03:52 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 26 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:

Wow this was really helpful to me. When I look at McBeth I have always thought we were standing roughly the same, but I definitely keep my hips more facing the target and have a very inconsistent weight transfer - and suck at putting. Understanding his hip movement as you laid it our here really illustrates the point and proper way to do this.