#31  
Old 12-03-2019, 02:04 PM
tsharp tsharp is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Hartselle, AL
Years Playing: 1.5
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default FIRST robotics did it in 2013

Also notice the chain assembly at the top of each pyramid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQ0VNzIvHx0
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 12-03-2019, 02:05 PM
zgmc's Avatar
zgmc zgmc is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Michigan
Years Playing: 17.7
Courses Played: 29
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 864
Niced 155 Times in 83 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
A video of a "throwing robot" throwing a Destroyer. Force, Raider and all the "top distance drivers" at the same speed/Rpm/angle would rack up a ton of views

But IF such a robot would become standard for setting the discs flight numbers. . .. would we not risk that the manufacturers would start making discs that would preform well in the robot throws….and may not be as good for a real person to throw?

It would become a "hunt" for every manufacturer to have the disc that the robot gets the most distance with
Ton of views? As in 2000? Yeah probably. Derail alert.. I was just looking at view counts on dg videos. I haven’t watched any dg on YouTube in a couple years. The views used to be 10K maybe 30K for big tourneys. Now I’m seeing jomez videos with 200-500K or more? I think they are buying a substantial number of views...
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 12-03-2019, 02:06 PM
zgmc's Avatar
zgmc zgmc is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Michigan
Years Playing: 17.7
Courses Played: 29
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 864
Niced 155 Times in 83 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
People loves to see Paul throw . .

But we will never see Paul pick up a stack of drivers from different manufacturers and throw them
What’s the point here? Make a goofy robot to throw discs for YouTube views? Or make a precision machine that throws discs exactly the same each time in order to standardize flight ratings?
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 12-03-2019, 02:26 PM
Hampstead's Avatar
Hampstead Hampstead is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Spaceship Earth
Years Playing: 29.8
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 3,484
Niced 2,014 Times in 656 Posts
Default

One benefit I could see would be throwing high speed drivers versus fairways and mids at lower speeds. Perhaps it could help newer players better understand why they have no business throwing high speed discs.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 12-03-2019, 02:37 PM
Jolt Jolt is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Sweden
Posts: 2,844
Niced 1,701 Times in 955 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgmc View Post
What’s the point here? Make a goofy robot to throw discs for YouTube views? Or make a precision machine that throws discs exactly the same each time in order to standardize flight ratings?
I think the best would be if PDGA had a precision machine. .
But i don´t think the manufacturers would like that at all.

OT dream video would be Paul, Eagle and Simon to take the 10 best selling drivers from different manufacturers and just go out and throw them. . .but that will never happen
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 12-03-2019, 03:03 PM
Putt for D'oh's Avatar
Putt for D'oh Putt for D'oh is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,182
Niced 526 Times in 300 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
I think the best would be if PDGA had a precision machine. .
But i don´t think the manufacturers would like that at all.

OT dream video would be Paul, Eagle and Simon to take the 10 best selling drivers from different manufacturers and just go out and throw them. . .but that will never happen
You keep mentioning PDGA, they would have no interest in this. They are given discs, check to see if they match legal specs and approve or not. How they actually fly is of zero concern to them, nor should it be.

A major retailer like Infinite, Marshal Street, OTB etc... might have more interest. The ability to move a larger variety of products and plastics, there are already flight comparison charts and they put their own flight numbers out there. Something that makes that more consistent I would think could only help. People are always asking I throw this disc but I like this other plastic or manufacturer what should I throw?

For me personally it seems something fun to think about for MY discs. I can't throw 5 throws in the exact same way in a row so I really have no idea how some of my discs compare. It would be interesting to see how some of these similar plastics different speeds, different states of wear, all that flys when the human inconsistency factor is eliminated.

The mythbusters idea seems great to me. An arm that mimics a DG throw, that actually can grip the disc with fingers, adjustable for grip strength and arm speed. Can see the way two discs compare, know how one works for me and have an idea how the other might behave.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 12-03-2019, 03:06 PM
DiscFifty DiscFifty is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,548
Niced 1,095 Times in 640 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Howl View Post
Yes, but that flat release with the same speed and rotation for every throw, would provide a bench mark. A committee of current pros could help set that first benchmark, and from there on, HSS and LSS would be standardized.
I'm pretty sure we both just said (or at least meant) the same thing.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 12-03-2019, 03:10 PM
Jolt Jolt is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Sweden
Posts: 2,844
Niced 1,701 Times in 955 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putt for D'oh View Post
You keep mentioning PDGA, they would have no interest in this. They are given discs, check to see if they match legal specs and approve or not. How they actually fly is of zero concern to them, nor should it be.

A major retailer like Infinite, Marshal Street, OTB etc... might have more interest. The ability to move a larger variety of products and plastics, there are already flight comparison charts and they put their own flight numbers out there. Something that makes that more consistent I would think could only help. People are always asking I throw this disc but I like this other plastic or manufacturer what should I throw?

For me personally it seems something fun to think about for MY discs. I can't throw 5 throws in the exact same way in a row so I really have no idea how some of my discs compare. It would be interesting to see how some of these similar plastics different speeds, different states of wear, all that flys when the human inconsistency factor is eliminated.

The mythbusters idea seems great to me. An arm that mimics a DG throw, that actually can grip the disc with fingers, adjustable for grip strength and arm speed. Can see the way two discs compare, know how one works for me and have an idea how the other might behave.

the reason i had for starting to talk about the PDGA was just to have THEM set the flight numbers. . and for that a machine would be nice to have.
...but that´s never going to happen

But the "Infinite, Marshal Street, OTB etc" would be really fun. . i look at Infinites flight numbers more than the manufacturers own
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 12-03-2019, 03:11 PM
DiscFifty DiscFifty is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,548
Niced 1,095 Times in 640 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgmc View Post
Ton of views? As in 2000? Yeah probably. Derail alert.. I was just looking at view counts on dg videos. I haven’t watched any dg on YouTube in a couple years. The views used to be 10K maybe 30K for big tourneys. Now I’m seeing jomez videos with 200-500K or more? I think they are buying a substantial number of views...
They have over 100k subscribers, so I could see some popular vids racking up decent numbers. Especially if subscribers share their videos, etc, etc. I think a few of their vids showed up in general (non disc golfers) recommended lists a few times causing a spike in views.
Reply With Quote
 

  #40  
Old 12-03-2019, 03:30 PM
F. Howl's Avatar
F. Howl F. Howl is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,037
Niced 1,210 Times in 659 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgmc View Post
This would help the average pro. Define average pro.
No, it wouldn't just help the average pro...for what I just wrote. And "average pro"? However you want to take that. It was just for brevity. Take a sample of the top touring pros arm speeds, or get readings on every drive at hole 1 at worlds one year and average that. Factor in speed of disc and distance of the holes as well to use, and find a median. Whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgmc View Post
This wouldn’t add any legitimacy.
You don't see how a flight rating system for every manufacturer across the board? It'd be like the numbering system for golf irons, before manufacturers had random names for them like mashies and niblicks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgmc View Post
It also wouldn’t standardize anything. First you would have to standardize and calibrate these robot throwers. What happens when the discraft robot falls out of calibration with the innova robot? Who is going to police that? Or is there one single disc golf robot that every manufacturer has to wait in line for?
This is all hypothetical since I don't think the PDGA would ever have the resources or desire to do this.... buuut if it wasn't them, then the manufacturer whose numbers were off would glaringly stand out. Like Trilogy a few years back. They heard complaints and had a ratings update, 2017-18.

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
<$100 cart possibility tdschrock1 Bags / Carts / Straps / Tags 9 09-03-2016 10:23 PM
Possibility of a New Disc Golf Course in Denver Metro? ColoradoClark General Disc Golf Chat 1 09-14-2014 12:49 AM
Robot plays disc golf in Yorktown dashiellx General Disc Golf Chat 19 06-26-2013 02:14 AM
This Robot should throw a disc netposer General Disc Golf Chat 8 03-05-2013 04:36 PM
Bag possibility DikkaD Bags / Carts / Straps / Tags 8 01-02-2013 10:21 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.