Old 12-06-2019, 06:42 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 656 Times in 348 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanA View Post
But he made millions endorsing products. That's all a sponsorship is really.
Additionally, none of those endorsement deals stemmed from his baseball career either.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2019, 06:55 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 19.7
Courses Played: 62
Niced 287 Times in 168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebake91 View Post
If Dale Jrs daddy was anybody else, he wouldn't have made a 1/4 of that.
This just strengthens my argument. Dale Sr. was so popular, that even his son benefited from his celebrity despite not winning a Cup Title.

Quote:
Additionally, none of those endorsement deals stemmed from his baseball career either.
Nike doesn't support baseball anymore?

Quote:
Yes, but not from the team he played for. Which is what we are talking about. He wasn't good enough to compete at the highest level, therefore, had no place in baseball.
True, and I'm not trying to argue with you on that. I'm just suggesting that it doesn't have to be a current Pro player that moves the needle on a big disc company.

I only used Brodie as an example of what could happen.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:04 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanA View Post
This just strengthens my argument. Dale Sr. was so popular, that even his son benefited from his celebrity despite not winning a Cup Title.

Nike doesn't support baseball anymore?

True, and I'm not trying to argue with you on that. I'm just suggesting that it doesn't have to be a current Pro player that moves the needle on a big disc company.

I only used Brodie as an example of what could happen.
Nike sponsored Jordan because of his baseball prowess? And the whole Earnhardt thing plays if Paul McBeth has a kid. I'm struggling to connect it to other famous people. Yes Brodie is somewhat famous. But I just don't see how it benefits a company to sponsor a player who isn't good at it's sport. Not saying Brodie couldn't get good. Sure, he's got skills. I think it would reek of a cheesy marketing ploy that would alienate as many players as it would bring in.

If Kim K wanted to play disc golf, she should get a sponsorship because she's internet famous? She would bring a lot of eyes to the sport.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:09 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.9
Courses Played: 702
Niced 1,799 Times in 812 Posts

Bubba Watson is a PDGA member. If he decided to play a bit more DG, even tour, do you think he would help move a company's disc line if he were sponsored but was an average top player on tour?
Old 12-06-2019, 07:13 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
Bubba Watson is a PDGA member. If he decided to play a bit more DG, even tour, do you think he would help move a company's disc line if he were sponsored but was an average top player on tour?
Unless he was good. Easy. No.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:29 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 19.7
Courses Played: 62
Niced 287 Times in 168 Posts

I'm not into arguing for argument's sake.

I'll stop derailing this thread so we can all go back to speculating on the release of Nikko's custom molds.
Old 12-10-2019, 10:09 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.7
Courses Played: 29
Niced 155 Times in 83 Posts

If Watson wanted to win top tier DG tourneys I’m sure he could do so. That’s not going to happen. He’s actually making money playing man golf.
Old 12-10-2019, 10:30 AM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgmc View Post
If Watson wanted to win top tier DG tourneys Im sure he could do so. Thats not going to happen. Hes actually making money playing man golf.
I think these kinds of comments are presumptuous. Is competing at the highest level of our sport that easy? Could McBeth start winning on the PGA Tour? Crossing over, even with tons of practice, is tough.

Tony Romo comes to mind. He was always an excellent golfer. After retirement from the NFL, he's committed to playing even more golf and competing. To my (limited) knowledge, he hasn't won anything at a super high level.

For a guy to start trying to compete at an older age, against players that have been playing and competing their whole lives, it's a steep hill to climb. It's the same argument I make with the whole Brodie playing DG too.
Old 12-10-2019, 10:46 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.7
Courses Played: 29
Niced 155 Times in 83 Posts

Quote:
I think these kinds of comments are presumptuous. Is competing at the highest level of our sport that easy? Could McBeth start winning on the PGA Tour? Crossing over, even with tons of practice, is tough.

Tony Romo comes to mind. He was always an excellent golfer. After retirement from the NFL, he's committed to playing even more golf and competing. To my (limited) knowledge, he hasn't won anything at a super high level.

For a guy to start trying to compete at an older age, against players that have been playing and competing their whole lives, it's a steep hill to climb. It's the same argument I make with the whole Brodie playing DG too.
It would be WAY easier for a pro golfer to compete in disc golf than it would be for a disc golfer to compete in golf. Dont you think that If ANY disc golfer could compete in ANY other pro sport, they would do so? There is real money in many other pro sports. The level of competition in golf is many many times greater than it is in DG. Its not even close. DG doesnt attract real athletes. There is no incentive.

Old 12-10-2019, 11:13 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 500 Times in 239 Posts

Do we know if Paul's 250K is a base salary for sure? Could it be a guarantee? Meaning it contains a base pay, plus commission on his signature discs/product line and Discraft guaranteed him a 250K income? Maybe there are other stipulations on how he can go over the 250K once a certain revenue number is hit from his products?

I have always been curious about this. Did Paul ever plainly say that he has a base salary of 250K? If so, he is making some cheddar for sure.