Old 12-10-2019, 12:08 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 30.7
Courses Played: 145
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 329 Times in 142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chains Bailey View Post
I was thinking maybe Ken Climo, but at that time in the game, I do not believe that there was enough money moving, awareness and participation compared to todays numbers. Add to that, the media exposure of present day and I think the disc companies during that time wanted him for sure, but I do not think he could walk into any manufacturer and say "I want X Y and Z or I am going to another manufacturer'" and have it hold any real weight.
Indeed, the sport was primitive by today's standards, and it wasn't until like 1997 that we started seeing "KC" Discs from Innova. Maybe that's because it was the advent of premium plastic, and with that the Cheetahs and Gazelles and Rocs in that plastic were given higher status than regular base plastic (which we wouldn't call "DX" for a few years yet) with his name and consecutive world titles around the rim?

Come to think of it, I remember Discraft releasing their premium plastic Discs around the same time or maybe just after this with their immortal pros on the stamps...the Scott Stokely XL, the Juliana (then) Bower Stratus, the Ron Russell...um, Cyclone was it? Or maybe Comet? They were white Discs with red stamps and a pattern of lots of dots on them if I remember right and I loved them as well as Innova's KC 8x and 9x stuff.

Imagine if anybody won 8 consecutive world titles now and only then got to have their names on Discs. I wonder why there wasn't a stock stamp in 1996 with KC's name on it despite him finishing 2nd place three times out of like 26 events the previous year, and winning all the rest of them? Or did I just miss that? I was always looking through everything in the bins at In-Flight in Lansing and don't remember seeing something like that. Maybe the industry's still-fledgling status at the time meant they had lots of Discs sitting around in their warehouses to sell and they were a good year behind in moving them? I have no idea.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 12-10-2019, 12:12 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 7
Niced 621 Times in 331 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgmc View Post
It would be WAY easier for a pro golfer to compete in disc golf than it would be for a disc golfer to compete in golf. Donít you think that If ANY disc golfer could compete in ANY other pro sport, they would do so? There is real money in many other pro sports. The level of competition in golf is many many times greater than it is in DG. Itís not even close. DG doesnít attract real athletes. There is no incentive.
So your theory is any casual disc golfer can end up pro? Ball golf shares really no skills with disc golf, other than maybe the mental game. My point is that it's not so easy to all of a sudden get so much better than the best In the world at anything, let alone sports. Even if disc golf doesn't attract "real athletes", with I think is a bs statement in itself. Go tell McBeth he's not an athlete.
Old 12-10-2019, 12:41 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.7
Courses Played: 29
Niced 155 Times in 83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebake91 View Post
So your theory is any casual disc golfer can end up pro? Ball golf shares really no skills with disc golf, other than maybe the mental game. My point is that it's not so easy to all of a sudden get so much better than the best In the world at anything, let alone sports. Even if disc golf doesn't attract "real athletes", with I think is a bs statement in itself. Go tell McBeth he's not an athlete.
Any casual disc golfer can not end up pro. Not at all why im saying.

And yes golf certainly does share skills with dg. If you donít understand the similarities/shared skills in the swing and the throw, then it sucks to be you.

Itís no secret that disc gold is a small niche sport. The talent pool is tiny compared with any major pro sport. It stands to reason that the top DGers are not going to compare with the top in any major sport. There is also no money in it. Any athlete that has a chance to be pro in any other sport isnít going to waste any time with DG. Itís a hobby.

Mcbeth is not an elite athlete. Sorry, but he simply isnít. He may be the best in the world, which is a great accomplishment, but it doesnít compare to even making the PGA tour.
Old 12-10-2019, 12:52 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Any casual disc golfer can not end up pro. Not at all why im saying.

And yes golf certainly does share skills with dg. If you donít understand the similarities/shared skills in the swing and the throw, then it sucks to be you.

Itís no secret that disc gold is a small niche sport. The talent pool is tiny compared with any major pro sport. It stands to reason that the top DGers are not going to compare with the top in any major sport. There is also no money in it. Any athlete that has a chance to be pro in any other sport isnít going to waste any time with DG. Itís a hobby.

Mcbeth is not an elite athlete. Sorry, but he simply isnít. He may be the best in the world, which is a great accomplishment, but it doesnít compare to even making the PGA tour.
What I'm saying is that is asinine to think that somebody, even a top pro in another sport, even a related one, is just automatically able to be as good as people that have been practicing and competing their whole lives. Yes I understand that the talent pool is tiny.
How about this for an example. Take that guy for dominoes who is the world's fastest pizza box folder. That talent pool is certainly smaller than disc golf Im sure. How many people can do what he can do?

I'm not saying a guy like Watson couldn't do it. I'm just saying it's asinine to assume that he could if he wanted to. Like it was just easy. Oh hey, I'm just gonna go casually win this A tier on my way to Pebble Beach....

And you are going to tell me McBeth is not an athlete, but Bubba Watson is? Really? Please explain the difference.
Old 12-10-2019, 12:57 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 30.7
Courses Played: 145
Niced 329 Times in 142 Posts

John Daly and Jon Kruk come to mind immediately. Paul McBeth is certainly a more skilled athlete than them. Probably lots of more examples.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:04 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
What I'm saying is that is asinine to think that somebody, even a top pro in another sport, even a related one, is just automatically able to be as good as people that have been practicing and competing their whole lives. Yes I understand that the talent pool is tiny.
How about this for an example. Take that guy for dominoes who is the world's fastest pizza box folder. That talent pool is certainly smaller than disc golf Im sure. How many people can do what he can do?

I'm not saying a guy like Watson couldn't do it. I'm just saying it's asinine to assume that he could if he wanted to. Like it was just easy. Oh hey, I'm just gonna go casually win this A tier on my way to Pebble Beach....

And you are going to tell me McBeth is not an athlete, but Bubba Watson is? Really? Please

explain the difference.
I bet there are a lot more people that can box fold then there are that can be top 50 on the PGA tour.

And yeah, disc golf is easy compared to golf. The margin of error that you are working with in hitting a golf ball compared to that of throwing a disc just isnít in the same ballpark.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.7
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,350 Times in 959 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
John Daly and Jon Kruk come to mind immediately. Paul McBeth is certainly a more skilled athlete than them. Probably lots of more examples.
Being in better shape does not make one more skilled.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:06 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
I disagree. Both of those guys needed to be gifted athletes to be able to compete at the level they did while being in relatively poor physical shape.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:11 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
I disagree. Both of those guys needed to be gifted athletes to be able to compete at the level they did while being in relatively poor physical shape.
But the top 10 disc golfers don't need to be athletes to compete at their level? I'm still just not computing why you feel this way.

Old 12-10-2019, 01:30 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
But the top 10 disc golfers don't need to be athletes to compete at their level? I'm still just not computing why you feel this way.
I think you are elevating the level that disc golf is on far above where it actually is.