Old 12-17-2019, 07:22 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 121
Niced 72 Times in 35 Posts

Some people use a straighter, or more understable, or lighter putter for longer putts. I use that kind of putter (167g Electron Spin) for long AND short distance putts.

If I'm comfortable putting with it at 70 feet why change to a different putter when I'm only 25 feet from the basket?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2019, 08:00 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 893 Times in 742 Posts

I have 2.5 molds as the Titanic and Magnet not really different even the Titanic molds uphill/downhill putting I use a 166 Prostyle #2 Upshot. I also have a Shark in Star and Pro in my bag as an approach disc from about 37-40 Feet and out till the shot is 100-110 feet. Now I use the Titanic and Magnet for the same distance but the Jawbreaker Magnet is not great in temps past 93 F and jawbreaker is not that durable so for tight gaps I use a not made in this plastic for now Proline Titanic, all discs that are main putters are either nearly max weight or max weight. I might be rotating out a worn out getting floppy Jawbraker Magnet for a new on in main putting making the less floppy worn in of the two Jawbreaker Magnets my further putter and relegating the old Jawbreaker Magnet to uphill/downhill putter as my #2 Upshot is getting worn out almost. I can use the Jawbreaker Magnet for a downhill putter but uphill is a bit odd though with time I could get used to it.

Nice thing about the Mold (Shark) I use for approach shots is knowing the mold will be more OS the less I need to put power on the mold so I can use a Shark for Putting on windy days and for a driving putter slot as the mold will then fly how I would want a driving putter.

I know an Uncle that uses an APX for longer putts just before approach (at approch he uses same disc just not trying for the basket as much) over his Focus, the reason is the APX is like a US version of the Focus for him. I know a friend who uses Judge for his shorter putter and a Wizard for his longer putter at least the last time I talked to him The friend likes to aim for more the middle of the right side of basket, seeing how most baskets that is where the most chains are via the 2 sets crossing and by doing so on longer putts he needs a disc that turns more at that distance then most others.
Old 12-17-2019, 08:20 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 34
Niced 152 Times in 109 Posts

I bag 4 putters but putt almost exclusively with a Judge. I'll break out the Envy if it's windy but it's primarily a thrower and my favorite one at that. Also bag a Pure and a Berg. Tried putting with my Berg a little in practice; not recommended.
Old 12-17-2019, 09:38 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.7
Courses Played: 86
Niced 337 Times in 182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb3 View Post
Some people use a straighter, or more understable, or lighter putter for longer putts. I use that kind of putter (167g Electron Spin) for long AND short distance putts.

If I'm comfortable putting with it at 70 feet why change to a different putter when I'm only 25 feet from the basket?
For me I’m looking at it the other way around. I’m generally more comfortable with the heavier/overstable one from close range, and it gives the least variation in the wind. But at long range it’s less reliable because it has such a strong finish. By using a lighter/straighter version for longer putts I can keep the same feel and generally the same motion from further away. Of course I could use that in the circle as well, but I’m slightly more confident with the other one.
Old 12-17-2019, 10:11 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 21.1
Courses Played: 79
Niced 12 Times in 8 Posts
Send a message via AIM to _.-Dut-._

2 DX Aviara for driving and putting and then a 400 PA3 for approach shots
Old 12-17-2019, 10:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 46
Niced 4,502 Times in 1,885 Posts

I throw and putt Magics right now...so consider me in the one mold only camp.
Old 12-18-2019, 12:26 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 557 Times in 359 Posts

I putt with a Medium or Hard Dagger as a main putter depending on the season. I also bag a thrower Dagger, typically Soft, that I intend to approach with. For longer go-fors, I'll spin or spush the thrower Dagger for LSS that kicks in later and better hit n stick.

Those are the same mold though.

For my game, I have found that I'd rather make the Dagger work on windy days for for longer putts than introduce a different molds intended specifically for putting. If the wind is howling, I'll spin my Rhyno in no problem, but it's not my intention to use different molds for different distances etc.

Niced: (1)
Old 12-18-2019, 01:07 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Courses Played: 27
Niced 499 Times in 308 Posts

My philosophy is basically the same as Alexplz's above. However, I have struggled to find that one magical putter mold that can cover everything other than super OS stuff for me.

This year I putted with Crowns for pretty much everything, other than maybe a 20+ mph straight headwind at which point I'd consider putting with my Zone instead. I drove and approached with a lineup of Zone(s)/Envy/Proxy. Those discs worked great for driving, but I struggled in my approaches without a floaty easy-throwing putter in the bag.

For 2020 I'd like to try minimizing putter molds further. Zones are staying in the bag, but I've been trying out Judges as my do-everything-else putter mold and liking them so far. They are fantastic approach discs, solid putters, and OK drivers. I may end up putting an Envy or Crown back in the bag as a dedicated stable driving putter that bridges the gap between Zones and Judges. It's that constant battle of fewer molds that you know really well, vs more molds to cover every conceivable situation.
Old 12-18-2019, 01:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 31
Niced 1,199 Times in 655 Posts

Nate Sexton does pretty well with a Dart from outside (circle 2?).

Roaches are already straight, and I don't have problems with them fading early from distance (my miss from far outside is them hitting low because of an unitentional anny angle), but if I putted a more OS putter, I might want a glidier one for long putts.

Old 12-18-2019, 01:51 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 34
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 250 Times in 141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
I throw and putt Magics right now...so consider me in the one mold only camp.
Diamond Magics are awesome driving putters.