Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 03-29-2015, 10:22 PM

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 9
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Advice for my first distance driver?

I'm at 300 ft. average very controlled distance, and 330 ft. max distance with speed 7 fairways. These are straight/slight hyzer fairly low golf shots.Looking to get my first distance driver. Leaning between star Valkyrie, Champ. Viking, or Thunderbird? Leaning towards thunderbird because it will have a similar line to the tee bird but faster. Don't usually have a ton of room for a high s curve. Will a thunderbird be too stable with my power? Should I just stick to the valk as it will be straight with my power until super beaten? Wish I had $ to just experiment but don't...any advice appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2015, 10:27 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 30 Times in 27 Posts

Grab a P PD and an S PD. They are sneaky long for speed 9s and arguably one of the best discs ever. P line will be great for max d out of the box and S line will start off more HSS and beat in to a bomber.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:45 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.7
Courses Played: 25
Niced 38 Times in 23 Posts

I recently found a G* Thunderbird with no ink on the course. It's a lot of disc, not really like my Star Teebird at all. I'm not saying it's bad at all, but it doesn't fly exactly like a faster Teebird. The one I have is more overstable than the Teebirds I have, and my distance is similar to yours.

If you want to try a true distance driver, try a Star Tern. I just bought one recently, and I'm really loving it. Easy distance and seems much more workable than most speed 12 drivers.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:58 PM
Big Country

Years Playing: 28.7
Courses Played: 52
Niced 199 Times in 113 Posts

Echo the Tern if you want easy distance and glide. I feel it's the glidiest Innova disc out there today. But the Valk is also a good choice. I used it for a number of years for all distance duties. Loved in DX and Champion was even better. Star Valks are probably pretty choice as well.

If you want to branch out from Innova I would reccomend a VIP Sorcerer in the high 160s. Crazy glide and not too dissimilar from a Tern. I personally prefer the feel of the Sorcerer. Of course, Euro plastic isn't always as easy to get locally as Innova, so I totally inderstand if your brush that particular suggestion off.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:05 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 33
Niced 14 Times in 7 Posts

I have a champion Thunderbird and it flies more like a beat in Firebird for me. I agree with Clard, a PD might be a good step up, or maybe an Orc. I still pull my Orc out for those low ceiling drives and it handles the job perfectly!
Old 03-29-2015, 11:46 PM

Courses Played: 1
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

yup, orc, tern, sorcerer.... all have characteristics of longer t-birds, with the terns being the most versatile. Gstar or echo star for more turn, and a champion tern has quite a bit of comeback at the end... even into a headwind... It's a surprisingly easy speed 12 disc to throw
Old 03-30-2015, 12:01 AM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Champ Beast and Elite z Avenger ss were my first drivers once moving past leopards and gazelles. I tried a bunch and these worked best for me. Now I'm throwing Destroyer and Tern as well. With all the new discs out all the time the old standards seem to get forgotten.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:02 AM

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 9
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

My problem with the Tern suggestion is I'm guessing I could throw a speed 9 just as far because my power isn't huge. From speed 7 to 12 is a huge jump. Good to know about the thunderbird though. Leaning towards the valk
Old 03-30-2015, 12:15 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 13
Niced 95 Times in 49 Posts

Go with the Valk. Fantastic distance driver. Should be great for someone with 300-350 of Teebird distance.

Old 03-30-2015, 12:19 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 21
Niced 7 Times in 5 Posts

If Speed 9 is as high as you want to go, I really like my G* Thunderbird. Started off flying as advertised and has now beaten in to a beautiful controlled flight. You can also get this flight in a Ch. Thunderbird but just takes much longer to beat in than G*