Old 10-04-2019, 02:10 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 36
Niced 128 Times in 85 Posts
Default Step Putt Stance

I've never had a good jump putt, so recently I've been working on a step putt (a la Paul Ulibarri). I've noticed Uli and Feldberg (the most notorious step putters) put most of their weight on the right leg and step forward onto their left.

My regular putt has a staggered stance and shifts weight from my back foot (left foot) onto my right foot at the release. It looks a lot like McBeth's putt.

My step putt starts with all of my weight on my left foot, and "steps" onto my right. This is backwards when comparing to Uli and Feldberg, but seems right to me. It's just a more extreme version of my regular putt, but instead of shifting part of my weight from back to front foot, I'm shifting ALL of my weight from back to front.

Why do Uli and Feldberg start on their right and go to the left??? It seems backwards to me. Am I crazy?

I just recently started practicing, but at about 35-40 feet my method seems to be working flawlessly. It comes out with a lot of speed and goes dead straight with plenty of power to get to the basket... and it's surprisingly accurate.

So what's up? Am I a goofy stance step putter?
Sponsored Links

Old 10-04-2019, 05:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,736 Times in 1,700 Posts

If you are swinging on the left leg, your right shoulder is going to be moving a lot more. I would think that would be less accurate long term.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Yep, putt like One Leg Drill balanced forward on front leg or almost Feet Together Drill. Barely any weight on rear foot, that is only way McBeth can screw his back foot back and forth on the ground. He just uses the back foot for leverage forward and counter balance/weight kick behind him as swing goes forward, he's not really shifting his weight back to back foot or much of it. Front shin should get vertical and knee should get forward of ankle - athletic.