Old 10-04-2019, 05:25 PM

Niced 9 Times in 9 Posts
Default Fixing form or Just throwing with a purpose?

I have noticed something interesting when I've tried to fix my form. Every single time my form, accuracy, distance goes downhill when I've started thinking/working on form.

For example last winter I was heavily into technique. I would throw a lot into a net, record and analyze. As I got throwing outdoors after the winter, everything was garbage.

This summer I mostly focused on just throwing the disc somewhere at a specific angle and it worked wonders. I jumped from 410' to 480 and occationally going past 500'.

And now during the end of the summer, I started getting into a little more detail and bad results came in right away. I think I've even developed nose up as a result, which actually got fixed earlier this summer without thinking about form.

Is fixing form actually any good? Or is this a case of different things working for different people?

I'm 16 if that helps in any way.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2019, 06:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,736 Times in 1,700 Posts

I'm not surprised your throws were garbage after throwing in a net to going outside since you had no real feedback, but it sounds like you put in the training work during the winter, and then allowed your subconscious to take over and trust and feel.

As Bruce Lee would say, "Don't think. FEEL!"

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=134975
Training
• Have a training mentality and a trusting mentality (p. 196). Train in physical technique then trust what you’ve trained.
• A Trusting mentality is essential in getting ready to play competitively. Spend 60% of practice time in the trusting mentality.
• Practice so that making the shot is unconscious, automatic.
Old 10-04-2019, 06:33 PM

Niced 9 Times in 9 Posts

So what you're saying is to not ditch of mechanical thinking, but to make it a smaller part of your training than feeling?

Old 10-04-2019, 06:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoseDownKing View Post
So what you're saying is to not ditch of mechanical thinking, but to make it a smaller part of your training than feeling?

Pretty much. Mechanical thinking is like studying homework for the test where you need to perform. Once you get to a certain mechanical point, the rest of the fluidity or next level comes down to feel.
Old 10-04-2019, 07:20 PM

Niced 9 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Pretty much. Mechanical thinking is like studying homework for the test where you need to perform. Once you get to a certain mechanical point, the rest of the fluidity or next level comes down to feel.
Since I already had so much success with just practicing with feel, is it worth at all for me to focus on technique?

Old 10-04-2019, 07:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoseDownKing View Post
Since I already had so much success with just practicing with feel, is it worth at all for me to focus on technique?

Depends on your goals/plateau/injury.

McBeth still analyzes and fine tunes his technique.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 91
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,067 Times in 533 Posts

Training with a purpose absolutely has benefits. I don't think training with a net helps much with that since you're never seeing if what feels good actually is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
• Have a training mentality and a trusting mentality (p. 196). Train in physical technique then trust what you’ve trained.
• A Trusting mentality is essential in getting ready to play competitively. Spend 60% of practice time in the trusting mentality.
• Practice so that making the shot is unconscious, automatic.
Bob Rotella goes over these exact points quite a few times in "Golf is not a game of perfect" (highly recommend reading it to anyone)

Old 10-08-2019, 08:39 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 48
Niced 200 Times in 153 Posts

What your brain is focused on changes your form. The more you focus on the task (throwing this disc, on this angle, to this place), the better that task will be performed. Of course, there has to be a time where you focus on other tasks (all the mechanical stuff) but the goal is to make those mechanical pieces subconscious so you can focus on the real task: throwing the disc where you want it. It's why you have to get worse to get better.