Old 09-30-2019, 01:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 135
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 974 Times in 519 Posts

I've seen a bunch of people get hit at Elver. Folks commonly throw to the practice pin by hole 1's tee from across the field and hit people waiting or practice putting. I've been hit at least 3 times there over the years.

Once I saw a lady that I just assume was hit - she was a jogger/walker on the hill, and came walking down the hill holding her head that was bleeding profusely. I couldn't think of anything else that would have caused that.

I also saw someone get hit in the back of the head and react like they got stung by a bee or something - they didn't seem to ever figure out it was a disc. People were screaming fore, but they had earbuds in, so they couldn't hear it.

My friend almost drilled someone in the face the other day. They were just hanging out stretching in the fairway, so we yelled head's up, and they looked and waved us on. But then like 2 seconds after waving us on, as my friend threw, they turned and just completely stopped watching. So we were screaming fore, and dude heard it at the last second and got out of the way.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by roggenb3; 09-30-2019 at 01:30 PM.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:56 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 16
Niced 168 Times in 92 Posts

I've been hit twice. Neither time it was a blind shot. They could see our group on the fairway and teed anyway. First time they didn't even yell fore, I just got drilled in the lower back by high-speed driver. Had a nasty bruise for weeks. 2nd time a guy yelled and I dodged last second and took it off the shoulder instead of the head. Neither guy apologized, in-fact both times they refused to walk up the fairway to retrieve their disc, they just sat and looked at us until we cleared the hole. Both times it was teenage chuckers.

Now I mainly throw pay-to-play courses and rarely run into this type of crap anymore. Honestly it does keep some of the riff-raff away.
Old 10-03-2019, 11:45 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 82
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 28 Times in 22 Posts

Last time I almost got hit was either 5 or 6 years ago.. Was playing with some beginners (myself included) and was looking for my disc and buddy threw over the top, missed be my less than a foot over my head. Only other time was a pond to the right of a hole and someone was fishing, one of the guys turned over their drive and hit the fisherman after the whole group was yelling heads up, fore and what not. I find it very uncommon as long as people keep aware of their surroundings.
Old 10-04-2019, 10:51 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 311
Niced 2,127 Times in 1,055 Posts

I only recall being hit about 3 times. That's about 15 years of averaging about 180 rounds/ yr. One was kind of skipping when it hit my leg, twice on the fly... one of which was during a glow round.
Statistically speaking, that's a pretty low rate of occurrence.

Obviously, it happens. Most of the time, it just stings for a while, but they can do some damage if "the stars are properly aligned."

Like any other accidental occurrence, liklihood can vary greatly depending on a number of factors:
- Courses you play
- attitudes of players that frequent those courses
- your situational awareness

Courses that shoehorn a bunch of holes into a relatively small area will increase the odds of being hit, especially if there isn't much foliage between basket and next tee, and the holes are of reachable distances. A lot of beginner friendly, park style courses fit this description. Probably doesn't help that they attract a lot of inexperienced players.

Most of the better courses are laid out well enough that it's actually pretty unlikely players can hit other players, unless someone's being stupid. Be aware of your surroundings, and if there's a group behind you that wants to move faster, just let them play through.

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 10-04-2019 at 10:53 AM.
Old 10-08-2019, 05:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.4
Courses Played: 30
Niced 44 Times in 31 Posts

I find most new players don't understand a lot of the disc golf etiquette that more seasoned players take for granted, like, always let faster players or groups play through. If you were constantly slowing up players behind you, say, looking for your discs in the rough, then sometimes less tolerant groups will throw on you.
If you were not slowing down anybody behind you, then listen carefully, most people will yell "FORE!" when they throw an errant disc. If you hear this, duck, and cover your head.

Old 10-08-2019, 05:49 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 24
Niced 460 Times in 266 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain jack View Post
If you were not slowing down anybody behind you, then listen carefully, most people will yell "FORE!" when they throw an errant disc. If you hear this, duck, and cover your head.
This especially. DO NOT LOOK UP TO SEE IF YOU SEE THE DISC... some people yell Fore! way too late and give you just enough time if you look to see it might catch you in the nose. Just duck and cover and if it was never a danger of hitting you laugh it off, a little embarrassment is less painful than a head shot.

To the OP it is very course dependent. Some areas seem to have more issues than others. Some places that the courses can be more at risk the more experienced players understand and will wait to throw once there is no danger. By far the most dangerous throwers are newer players who happen to throw decently far but not sure where the disc is headed. I was one of those players for a while and came very close a few times to hitting people, people that should not have been in danger from a reasonable throw from the teepad I was on. Some of those throws 1/2 way through the flight I was still thinking ' no way that is going all the way to where they are..' and then panicked yell FORE waaaaay too late.