#611  
Old 01-11-2018, 12:42 PM
frasnow's Avatar
frasnow frasnow is online now
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 21
Posts: 521
Niced 168 Times in 63 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlybakerbest View Post
The 450ft flex Drew threw with a Leo3 in the first round of the Shark Tooth open really shows his level of power.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcón View Post
Needs moar vid.

Shot is at 6:15. Purdy good if you ask me.

Are these talking about the same shot? Looks like a hyzer flip to me.

From https://www.innovadiscs.com/home/dis...sary-of-terms/
Quote:
Flex Shot
A Flex Shot is performed by throwing an overstable disc with an anhyzer angle of release down the left side of the fairway (for RHBH thrower). The disc travels from left to right then the overstability of the disc turns the disc back to the left. It is a very common shot that pros use.

Hyzer Flip
A Hyzer Flip is very similar to an S-Shot but follows a straighter line. An understable disc is thrown very fast with a hyzer angle of release. The disc turns or “flips” up and brings its nose down in the process. This allows for a long straight glide.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #612  
Old 01-11-2018, 01:19 PM
Halcón's Avatar
Halcón Halcón is online now
Free at Last
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 11,563
Niced 734 Times in 396 Posts
Default

I just provide video. You guys can argue the terminology.
Reply With Quote
  #613  
Old 01-11-2018, 01:46 PM
pearlybakerbest pearlybakerbest is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Finger Lakes
Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 64
Posts: 148
Niced 89 Times in 44 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frasnow View Post
Are these talking about the same shot? Looks like a hyzer flip to me.

From https://www.innovadiscs.com/home/dis...sary-of-terms/
Anyone with Drew's power would need to release a turnover with a leo on hyzer, otherwise it would be an automatic roller. Per your definition a hyzer flip stands to flat then flies straight, I saw a lot of turnover on this shot. While not a forced over flex with an overstable disc, it still fits this flight path. I suppose the most accurate description would be a hyzer flip to turnover, I used the term flex for expedience.
Reply With Quote
  #614  
Old 01-11-2018, 02:07 PM
JC17393 JC17393 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Years Playing: 20.7
Courses Played: 142
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 6,549
Niced 1,761 Times in 748 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
Yea, the new putting form looks like he is playing The Grand Prize Game. Also, those baskets were a hot mess. Must have been a couple dozen chain outs during those vids...
I saw nothing wrong with those baskets. Standard issue Mach IIIs. Granted, I only skipped through to the putting on the front 9 of round 1 because Halcón posted that video, but all I saw were chainouts of putts I would never consider "good". High, low, off-center misses but none that were in the heart/center that spit due to the basket. Just because the disc catches chains, that doesn't mean it was good or it should have stuck.

Reply With Quote
  #615  
Old 01-11-2018, 02:15 PM
brutalbrutus's Avatar
brutalbrutus brutalbrutus is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: the nati
Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 52
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 7,483
Niced 1,992 Times in 1,140 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
I saw nothing wrong with those baskets. Standard issue Mach IIIs. Granted, I only skipped through to the putting on the front 9 of round 1 because Halcón posted that video, but all I saw were chainouts of putts I would never consider "good". High, low, off-center misses but none that were in the heart/center that spit due to the basket. Just because the disc catches chains, that doesn't mean it was good or it should have stuck.
Watch more of it. I cant remember which round it was but there was one hole where there were back to back pro side chainouts from basically the same spot below the basket on the side of a hill. Then the next guy to putt was coming from the other side and had an AM side chain out. Mach3s are garbage, especially when there is any elevation involved.
Reply With Quote
  #616  
Old 01-11-2018, 02:20 PM
Muddyboots Muddyboots is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Courses Played: 111
Posts: 292
Niced 120 Times in 75 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
I saw nothing wrong with those baskets. Standard issue Mach IIIs. Granted, I only skipped through to the putting on the front 9 of round 1 because Halcón posted that video, but all I saw were chainouts of putts I would never consider "good". High, low, off-center misses but none that were in the heart/center that spit due to the basket. Just because the disc catches chains, that doesn't mean it was good or it should have stuck.
If I could nice this 100x, I would. Mach 3s catch almost all good putts. The very few good putts that I have had spit on a Mach 3 were pole outs, which you could argue were thrown too hard (and likely be right). They don't like poor putts, and I like that. Others (the majority even) will disagree.

Reply With Quote
  #617  
Old 01-11-2018, 02:32 PM
JTacoma03's Avatar
JTacoma03 JTacoma03 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Baton Rouge, LA and SF, CA
Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 128
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 4,037
Niced 624 Times in 235 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
DD didn't have what he needed for his power? Man, I'm sorry but that is some straight "It's the arrows, not me" excuse making right there. I guess Trilogy discs work okay for noodle arms like Ricky Wysocki but for real power guys like Drew Gibson he needs moar beef.

Either Drew needs to elaborate or he is a prime candidate for a DGCR forums sponsor.
Ricky throws hyzer flips like 30' into the air. There's a reason he does this, because Lat64-produced molds are known for having 2 things in common - lots of turn, and lots of glide. If there's a low ceiling he favors his FH so he can get the release lower and buy himself room. Drew's game is completely different. There's only one player that I know of across all of the "trilogy" teams that comes close to his power (James Proctor).

IMO you don't choose your bag based on how far you can throw it, that's just an end result. You have to take into account release angle, height, and RPM out of the hand. Drew is just doing this for his career. IMO he properly thanked the company, admitted that his lack of success was his own fault, and moved on.


(before I get flamed, I know not ALL molds are like that, but it's a common result. The opposite would be Discmania who struggles to release molds with enough turn for most casual players)

Reply With Quote
  #618  
Old 01-11-2018, 02:54 PM
wolfmandragon's Avatar
wolfmandragon wolfmandragon is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Morristown, TN
Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,531
Niced 297 Times in 202 Posts
Default

edit

Last edited by wolfmandragon; 01-11-2018 at 02:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #619  
Old 01-11-2018, 02:56 PM
Lazerface Lazerface is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Courses Played: 4
Posts: 678
Niced 283 Times in 155 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddyboots View Post
If I could nice this 100x, I would. Mach 3s catch almost all good putts. The very few good putts that I have had spit on a Mach 3 were pole outs, which you could argue were thrown too hard (and likely be right). They don't like poor putts, and I like that. Others (the majority even) will disagree.
YES I DISAGREE. THIS IS A RIDICULOUS STATEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
 

  #620  
Old 01-11-2018, 02:56 PM
Broken Shoulder's Avatar
Broken Shoulder Broken Shoulder is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Minnesota
Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 19
Posts: 3,448
Niced 838 Times in 421 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
Watch more of it. I cant remember which round it was but there was one hole where there were back to back pro side chainouts from basically the same spot below the basket on the side of a hill. Then the next guy to putt was coming from the other side and had an AM side chain out. Mach3s are garbage, especially when there is any elevation involved.
I have to disagree. Mach IIIs are excellent targets.
Adjust your putts.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.