Old 11-05-2020, 01:52 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 8 Times in 7 Posts

Thanks! This is really useful info. My next question was actually about the extra overstable discs like the Drone, Gator, and Buzzz OS, but it sounds like they wouldn't be good for me. I actually found a deal today on a slightly used max weight (180g) Champion Roc3, so I will try that out to fill the overstable slot. I heard the Malta was essentially Paul McBeth creating a custom Discraft version of his old Roc3s during his Innova years. Hopefully the Champ Roc3 works well for me, the Shark will fill the straight slot, and I'll probably remove the Mako3.

I have a lot of experience throwing forehands for ultimate frisbee, but it doesn't seem to translate as well for disc golf. Ultimate frisbee forehands are more about creating spin through wrist flick, whereas I've heard disc golf forehands are kind of like sidearm throws in baseball that are more depending on shoulder/elbow. The difficulty for me is that I'm actually right handed (and threw righty for baseball), so I lack some of the arm strength in my left arm. What kind of discs do you find work best for FH? Overstable or understable? Deeper or shallower rim?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2020, 09:05 AM
Par Member

Niced 72 Times in 45 Posts

I could see one of the super OS discs having a place if you play a lot of windy courses, but it seems to be rare enough for me that I just power down a beefy fairway like a thunderbird/firebird.

I feel like I've heard the opposite, too many novices seem to use too much arm and not enough wrist snap when they throw forehand. so if you've got lots of snap on your forehands already it should just be a matter of adding in some more arm while maintaining that snap. I'm curious, what made you start playing disc golf left handed? You're actually the second person I know like that, my buddy I play with weekly is right handed and started out lefty, he's been re-learning the game right handed lately and is improving rapidly. I'm kind of jealous of him being able to throw BH both directions because he doesn't even have to worry about a forehand unless it's a scramble shot where his BH is obstructed.
Working best is a bit subjective. I like to practice forehand with more neutral to understable discs, Just like with back hand, the less stable and more "touchy" a disc is, the better it is at showing flaws in your form. Something really overstable will hide a lot of issues. I find it's pretty tough to flick something as understable as an archer (although I do mess with that occasionally to try to practice little hyzer flip forehands) but something like the mako3 is a great training tool because it won't hide any flaws, turned over your wrist slightly? yup, it'll show you, bad release? it'll wobble like crazy. I'm trying to play a Mako3 forehand only round at least once a month at our local pitch and putt course because it gives me some forced practice trying to really smooth the shots.
But generally speaking, more stable discs tend to work better for forehand because they're harder to accidentally turn over, which is something I find I'm prone to do. During normal rounds my go to's are Zone, Malta, Undertaker, Thunderbird, Firebird. And then the mako3 for get out of jail anny forehands that stay on anny all the way to the ground. coming from an Ultimate background I would have to guess you'd feel more comfortable with a more shallow disc like a putt and approach type zone/harp/pig/tactic than you would a super wide rim driver
Old 11-06-2020, 04:58 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 8 Times in 7 Posts

I think maybe the reason I'm hearing that more arm - rather than wrist - is needed is because I've only played disc golf with people who have an ultimate frisbee background.

It's kind of an interesting story, plus I'm semi-ambidextrous to start with. I'm better with my right when it comes to arm/strength related things, but I'm better with my left for wrist/accuracy things. When I first started to get serious with ultimate in college, I had a solid lefty backhand (which is basically rotation in the same direction as my righty golf swing, which I played competitively in high school and college. I also play basketball left-handed, so I get more wrist flick with that hand.) and a decent righty forehand (from playing baseball right-handed). However, in ultimate, since you have someone actively marking you and need to be able to throw to both sides of your body, I had to either decide to go fully righty or fully lefty. In ultimate, being lefty is an advantage since your release points are opposite to what people are used to guarding, so I learned a lefty flick/forehand. I also ended up learning both a right and lefty hammer (ultimate version of a tomahawk), as well as a short to medium range offhand/righty backhand, which is starting to have a lot of utility in the modern ultimate game.

However, my lefty forehand is maybe only 80% of the power of my righty forehand, and my righty backhand is less than 50% of my lefty backhand. It seems like I'd be better off just improving my lefty forehand rather than trying to throw both backhands like your friend. I think I will try practicing with the Mako3 like you said. Eventually, a forehand with my Zone would probably be a super useful approach shot.

My issue when trying forehands is that I don't turn over my wrist at all, since I'm used to ultimate, where frisbees need to be released more Inside-Out (hyzer) the more power that you put on it. In disc golf terms, I guess you could say frisbees (Discraft Ultrastar) are super understable and are best thrown hyzer flipping up to flat and then continuing straight with the slightest bit of anhyzer finish at the end.

Old 11-23-2020, 10:13 AM
Par Member

Niced 72 Times in 45 Posts

Current bag
Distance Drivers
- 156g pop top proto Hades
- Surge SS

Fairway Drivers
Night Strike 2 FD
Luster C FD
'18 Sexton Firebird
'19 Big Jerm Thunderbird
ESP Undertaker
Neo Essence

Midrange:
Cryztal Wasp
Mako3
Z Archer

Putt/Approach:
2 Fireflies
Beat up 1st run Fierce
Cryztal Fierce
Z Zone

The above is what I've started considering my core workhorse setup. It fits in my CS15, Homemade Zuca, AX4. Then I've been shuffling the other discs below in as Course and bag/cart space allows.

Z Sol, recently acquired this. Not entirely sure what it does differently than the mako/archer/cryztal fierce, but sometimes it's just fun to try new stuff.
Malta (identical flight to the wasp, more comfy for FH)
ESP Archer (super flippy turnover/get out of jail disc)
Super beat 18 Firebird (teebird/thunderbird lines, firebird skip)
Star Teebird (straight to fade, working on beating this into a dx teebird flight)
DX Teebird (magical disc, laser beams as far as I can possibly throw)
Neo Method (beef cake, mid, like a zone but longer)

I still seem to have the most overlap in fairway drivers, but perhaps that makes sense given how often I use them off the tee.
Additionally My fierce hasn't been getting much use off the tee lately, but I've been sticking to wooded courses where low line drive tee shots seem to suit the mako3 better than the fierce. But it's still the disc I hope I can use on pretty much any upshot.