Old 11-08-2017, 05:21 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 100
Niced 129 Times in 75 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleB View Post
On a review or two I've read or looked at people have stated that the Stratus is an excellent left to right disc for a RHBH if thrown straight...is this correct?

If the Stratus actually goes straight and then right off a normal RHBH that would be awesome!!! Just trying to find out if this is in fact true or not.

If so, would a D-Line or X-Line be better for this shot?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmonty View Post
Absolutely. I can't speak of a D-line Stratus, I've never owned one, but just get yourself an X. It will hold up longer anyhow.

I can't imagine that a day will come that I will not have a Stratus in my bag. Or a Comet.
Spot on Jeff, also never thrown D-line but have a few of the Elite X Stratus that will never leave my bag. Great for shaping certain right turning shots especially if you don't have much of a forehand game. Prefer the 160-170 range for my Stratus and the X plastic is a great mix of durability and grip.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 11-09-2017, 11:41 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 46 Times in 36 Posts

I had been looking for a disc to fill a similar slot for a while. I had a hard time finding anything in premium plastic that I could actually get to turn over without overpowering. To this day, the only things I could find in premium plastic that came close to filling this slot have been a star mirage (fast putter/slow mid) and an underworld (fairway driver).

I think a base plastic mid like a Stratus or Stingray fill this slot really nicely - if you want something that turns over easily off the shelf check out either in 166g-169g. Actually, my REAL recommendation here is an S line Mystic in the same weight. Gateway's sure-grip line is AMAZING base line plastic.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.6
Courses Played: 222
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 358 Times in 173 Posts

Quote:
On a review or two I've read or looked at people have stated that the Stratus is an excellent left to right disc for a RHBH if thrown straight...is this correct?

I ask because I throw a RHBH but a LHFH (so I can throw a backhand like I hit a backhand in tennis and throw a forehand like I throw a baseball). All my discs currently either go straight or fade off my RHBH (and straight or left off my LHFH)...nothing goes right. Which means if I want anything to go right I have to use anhyzer.

If the Stratus actually goes straight and then right off a normal RHBH that would be awesome!!! Just trying to find out if this is in fact true or not.

If so, would a D-Line or X-Line be better for this shot?

Thanks for the clarification!

TripleB
D-Lines are fantastic. They simply get a tad more understable at you introduce them to timber. I actually have a couple that have been in use for years. The only real problem I have is they seem to crack in cold weather. They are indeed less stable than the X Stratus.

I also have found that D Line Comets, Opto Cores and Z Line Meteors are nice disc with any easy turn.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:06 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 0.5
Niced 98 Times in 40 Posts

Thanks for the updated info on the Stratus!

I ended up ordering a 166g X-Line and had a chance to use it for the first time yesterday when my 10 year old and I played 27 holes. I loved the outcome every time I threw this disc. I usually just through it around 75% to make sure I was in control of my throw and this disc glided a lot further than through it would considering how much power I put behind my throw. Straight as an arrow on every throw. I was feeling so good about this disc that I went ahead and attempted a couple anhyzers with it and the flight was a thing of beauty.

Thanks for your help in leading me to this disc!

TripleB

Old 11-11-2017, 09:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 252
Niced 574 Times in 343 Posts

Still bagging Stratus and an Archer.

My X-Stratus is invaluable when I need something to sail around a right turning curve and just keep gliding right with no thought of fading back left.

Niced: (2)
Old 11-18-2017, 09:14 AM
Birdie Member

Had a chance to go out and play 45 holes a couple days ago and lost count of how many times I used the Stratus.

On my new home course there are at least 10 holes where a left to right shape is needed...and for a RHBH player who can't throw a forehand the Stratus is a life saver!!! There are a couple holes I could have used the fade a little bit later or a little bit sooner (when I ease up on the power of my throws with the Stratus I just get a straight flyer instead of that beautiful left to right flight), but overall I know the Stratus saved me one or two strokes per hole on several of the holes!

Now if I could only find a putter and a fairway that would give me that same shot shape with the curve beginning at different distances I'd be all set!

The Stratus is just a lifesaver when I have to shape the shot left to right with my no forehand throwing self!

So thanks for the incredible recommendation of this disc!!!

TripleB
Old 11-18-2017, 09:38 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 1.5
Courses Played: 9
Niced 40 Times in 21 Posts

Quote:

Now if I could only find a putter and a fairway that would give me that same shot shape with the curve beginning at different distances I'd be all set!
Just keep buying discs, I'm sure there's a magical disc out there that's just perfect for your current form and power level. Then you'll be set for life!

Old 11-18-2017, 01:47 PM

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 48
Niced 4 Times in 2 Posts

I love all my Stratus. That is all.

Old 11-19-2017, 09:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 8
Niced 562 Times in 451 Posts

Quote:
Had a chance to go out and play 45 holes a couple days ago and lost count of how many times I used the Stratus.

On my new home course there are at least 10 holes where a left to right shape is needed...and for a RHBH player who can't throw a forehand the Stratus is a life saver!!! There are a couple holes I could have used the fade a little bit later or a little bit sooner (when I ease up on the power of my throws with the Stratus I just get a straight flyer instead of that beautiful left to right flight), but overall I know the Stratus saved me one or two strokes per hole on several of the holes!

The Stratus is just a lifesaver when I have to shape the shot left to right with my no forehand throwing self!

So thanks for the incredible recommendation of this disc!!!

TripleB
Deputy, Star Colt, River (especially a seasoned-in Gold Line River).

Old 11-20-2017, 03:50 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by discerdoo View Post
Just keep buying discs, I'm sure there's a magical disc out there that's just perfect for your current form and power level. Then you'll be set for life!
My thoughts exactly---I'm glad someone on this board thinks like me!!!

But, unfortunately, although we make 6 digit salaries every month, teacher pay doesn't last as long as you would think...so I had to settle on the following bag, at least until my wife buys my Christmas presents (then I hope to move to some premium plastics): Judge, Mirage, Pure, Slammer, Stratus, Comet, Truth, Roc, Leopard, Leopard3, Teebird.

TripleB