Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > Disc Golf Courses > Course Design

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer:
Multiple tee pads with one basket location 43 29.86%
Multiple basket locations with one tee pad 26 18.06%
Multiple tee pads and multiple basket locations 75 52.08%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-12-2008, 04:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.9
Courses Played: 81
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

This old downtown Austin course (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=933) has 18 holes but only 9 baskets. The city occasionally rotates the 9 baskets from the North 9 to the South 9 to allow the grass to grow back on the side that's closed. One side has concrete pads and the other side doesn't. I'm not sure how this is relevant but there you go.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2008, 05:23 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 108
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I will second what others have said: multiple tee pads are nice IF they significantly change how the hole plays, because they can effectively turn a 9-basket course into an 18-hole course.

But, it seems that at a lot of courses with multiple tees, all they do is make the holes longer or shorter; in those cases pin placement often makes more of a difference than tee placement.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:51 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 19.6
Courses Played: 228
Niced 18 Times in 3 Posts

Multi tees always trumps multi pins if one or the other. Multi tees allows for two different skill levels to play along together easily, and for one person to play 2 different rounds back to back.
Multi pins OFTEN are not marked well or noted on the sign as to which is the current location, adding mass confusion to a new course player having to not only find the basket, but search in 3+ spots for it!
Old 11-12-2008, 06:37 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 29
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to adam423 Send a message via MSN to adam423

At a campground where my family stays sometimes that's usually pretty empty, I made up an target golf course using trees and telephone poles, etc. It has multiple tees b/c us guys out throw the girls and it makes it more even. Its cool how by moving the tee a few feet left or right can totally change the shot.

The only courses I've played with multiple basket locations are basically just to let the grass grow back. They're close enough together that throwing for the right one hasn't been a problem. Only exception I can think of is hole 7 at Shilito because they're on different sides of the fairway. If you didn't know which pin was being used you'd be on the wrong side of a fat evergreen or some bushes. However, I think the club is pretty good at marking which pins are being used on the info board, but I never really pay attention since I know to look for the baskets that you can't see from the tee, like 7.

Camp Catalpa has 9 tees to 18 baskets. They aren't multiple locations, but still gets 18 holes in the space that 9 would normally take up. Yellow baskets are the front nine and reds are the back. Not sure where it fits in these categories.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:56 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 18
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I would prefer multiple pins to multiple tees. Especially if the tees are surfaced differently. I have fallen many times when I go from a concrete pad on one hole to a slippery dirt pad on another. Footwork is difficult to control. My regular course is Morley in San Diego. Since it is a pay to play with a staff, The pins are changed on a schedule and the signs are clearly marked. Unless you have this setup multiple pins can be tough, especially at night or with Blind tees.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:32 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 23
Courses Played: 134
Niced 352 Times in 160 Posts

Figuring out where the pin is isn't usually my problem. Usually my problem is that once you have long placements, the courses tend to be set up very long. The guys with the the keys often are serious players who forget about the recreation market and set up the courses like we are all pros. Jefferson Barracks in St. Louis is like this a lot of the time, set up in all C and D placements. Now, I don't mind some long holes, but there should be some balance. If you have three placements, you should have 6 A's, 6 B's and 6 C's (or something fairly close to that) to balance the shots so that the course will appeal to a wide range of skill levels. I understand that if you have an A tier in two weeks that you will have the baskets set up in a tournament set-up that will be harder, and that is fine. You also get times like the first couple weeks of league in the spring and the last few weeks of league in the fall where the course will be set up short to speed up play with the shortage of daylight, and that's understandable. But when you come out week after week and you have two A's, two B's and the rest C's and D's...well, that's just irresponsible management. St. Louis has a good long course in Sioux Passage and a long for longs sake course in Creve Coeur, so there is no need to have Jefferson Barracks set up in an ultra-long configuration all summer. By doing that you just turn away the recreation players, which the guy with the keys to the basket probably does not care about. He probably likes things that keeps CF's off the course. Of course that kind of attitude does nothing for developing a larger base a players and growing the sport, but you probably don't have to show that you have any vision for the future to get a set of basket keys.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. It's just that six of the last 10 times I've been to Jefferson Barracks I've seen groups quit after 9 holes and say something to the effect of "never coming back here." It's supposed to be the Premo-A-#1 St. Louis course, but I see it turning players away and that is a problem. Throw the recreational players a bone and give them a few Ace runs to keep them interested, that all I'm asking.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:02 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 224
Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by progprowl View Post
My regular course is Morley in San Diego. Since it is a pay to play with a staff, The pins are changed on a schedule and the signs are clearly marked.
IF a course with multiple pins had different documented configurations that it rotated through on a somewhat regular basis I'd probably be okay with that.
Code:
E.g.
Jan,Apr,Jul,Oct - Config1 - 1A 2B 3C 4A 5B 6C 7A 8B 9C
Feb,May,Aug,Nov - Config2 - 1B 2C 3A 4B 5C 6A 7B 8C 9A
Mar,Jun,Sep,Dec - Config3 - 1C 2A 3B 4C 5A 6B 7C 8A 9B
With that setup, you get variety but also the consistency of knowing which Config you're playing to measure yourself against.

ERic
Old 11-13-2008, 01:32 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.6
Courses Played: 137
Niced 19 Times in 14 Posts
Send a message via AIM to magictenor1

I like the pin to stay the same so I know where it is. It is very frustrating to go to a course and have to spend a lot of time looking for it. The more tees the better as it gives more options for different skill levels and can change the course, offering variety without making the course hard to find. It's been my observation that threeputt is right and the pin positions seem to be put in the longer positions more often than not.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:26 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 23
Courses Played: 134
Niced 352 Times in 160 Posts

Before the site crashed and wiped out all the info, the course captain at Jefferson Barracks used to post the pin placements on the St. Louis site after each time that he changed them. The entertaining part of that if you could still see it was the fact that he moved the pins 3-4 times a week , and that his setups were long, longer and longest. On that course you literally could go three times in four days and play three different set ups. It's not that bad right now, as there is a different course captain. The plus side was the course was always cleaned up and in great shape as the course captain was out there every day. The down side was that he could not leave the baskets alone, so you never knew from one day to the next where the baskets would be (other than most of them would be long.)

Old 11-28-2008, 09:56 PM

Years Playing: 41.6
Courses Played: 15
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Pitch

Multiple Tees(In concrete)$1,000 Per 18 And a weeks work
Multiple Pins (If factory ordered)$400 per 18 1 days work(With ready mix)
Multiple pins if made by a local $100 Per 18 1 days work(With ready mix)
I've had sleeves made(Ben gerens alternates in Ft Smith)
I've bought factory sleeves
I've laid 18 5x10 Concrete Pads.(Me and 2 other guys WITH a backhoe digging the forms,The backhoe was a freebie but I wouldn't count on it always being a freebie)Add $50 per hour for the backhoe or some REALLY sore backs for a week.
Now I know the question here is which is better BUT
Having the oppurtunity to place the pins WHILE laying out the course makes it just as fun,Just as challenging ,And just as good a course as any can be.
Take the money you saved and buy some benches or add it to the purse.
Better yet make some real nice signs with BOTH pin placements on them then add the rest to the purse or throw a party.
JMO
Pitch.