Disc Golf Center
Old 11-17-2017, 08:50 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 22.6
Courses Played: 3
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 88 Times in 67 Posts

Well, I was curious to try the dx thunderbird. Could barely remember some of the talk about the dx when it came out and it seemed that it was very stable. (With the cooler wet autumn weather dx stuff and gstar is starting to filter into the bag)'

As it turns out the two blues I bought were exactly what I was hoping for.. Really surprised. {My first run dx pds are like opposite as they just turn and burn.}

Anyone know the scoop on how they got these to be stable in dx blend, well like they should be. And what happened with dx pd's which I consider a near twin of the thunder?

Also, can I count on the dx stuff being stable or was it just a one run kind of thing? I was hoping to buy another pair for backups.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by Dr.Smooth; 11-17-2017 at 08:52 PM.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 44
Niced 330 Times in 217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Smooth View Post
Well, I was curious to try the dx thunderbird. Could barely remember some of the talk about the dx when it came out and it seemed that it was very stable. (With the cooler wet autumn weather dx stuff and gstar is starting to filter into the bag)'

As it turns out the two blues I bought were exactly what I was hoping for.. Really surprised. {My first run dx pds are like opposite as they just turn and burn.}

Anyone know the scoop on how they got these to be stable in dx blend, well like they should be. And what happened with dx pd's which I consider a near twin of the thunder?

Also, can I count on the dx stuff being stable or was it just a one run kind of thing? I was hoping to buy another pair for backups.
Are the ones you bought super stiff and tacky kind of like the "Stiff Pro" plastic they make Pigs and Rhynos in for the Factory Store or Yeti Pro plastic? That was what the first run DX felt like. I've heard the 2nd run was softer and more flexible, but I've got so many first run DX's that I've never looked at later runs.

My theory is that at least that first run of DX Thunderbirds was really some blend of putter Pro rather than actual DX plastic. They molded up super flat to puddle topped with high PLH which is not normal for DX drivers, but it made them really nicely overstable. I don't think anyone ever reported seeing that same blend of "DX" in any other molds.

I actually hope what you have are not first runs, but a later run which would mean that they are stilling molding up nice and stable.
Old 11-18-2017, 07:14 AM
Double Eagle Member

good question. I imagine their has been only one or two runs of dx thunders. assuming most people are buying different the premium grades in this mold. but I could be totally wrong.

the ones I have are firm, tacky just like dx should be. but I'm comparing this opinion buying dx since the early 90's.

they say thunderbird on them so I don't know if this indicates run.

as for the pro plastic being mixed in...they scratch just like dx. but I guess a little pro could have been put in.

such a great mold and plastic for this time of year.

Last edited by Dr.Smooth; 11-18-2017 at 07:17 AM.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:02 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 7
Niced 92 Times in 66 Posts

There are at least two dx runs of the Thunderbird. The first run was firm and tacky. Second run reportedly was a little bit softer than the first, but still tacky
Old 11-18-2017, 08:59 AM
Double Eagle Member

really, for me the stability is the most important on this mold and plastic type. cause dx is generally more glidey and understable I want the run to be as stable as possible.

if the second run has the same stability but is just a hair softer i'm cool with that. particularly because these are being used for cooler season play.
Old 11-18-2017, 12:20 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 42 Times in 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Smooth View Post
really, for me the stability is the most important on this mold and plastic type. cause dx is generally more glidey and understable I want the run to be as stable as possible.

if the second run has the same stability but is just a hair softer i'm cool with that. particularly because these are being used for cooler season play.
The first run of the dx Thunderbird is more overstable and flatter.

Niced: (1)

Old 11-26-2017, 09:15 AM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I bought just a new Dx Thunderbird and it is different than last years'. This looks and flies a bit like Dx Eagle.