Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 03-24-2016, 08:05 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 33 Times in 26 Posts

I throw a McPro Roc3 for those long straight, maybe a slight fade midrange shot. I have a metal flake champ roc3 for my more OS mid slot that's working out well. I also throw a Leopard3, it's probably just as close to a point and shoot disc for me as anything, put it on any line and the disc just goes there. Turnover, straight, hyzer lines, it's my favorite, most used fairway disc.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2016, 08:50 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 130
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 19 Times in 16 Posts

Threw Roc3's on and off for a while. They're a solid workhorse mid that can take a good amount of power and go far. I just prefer DX Rancho's.

I've been impressed with the Leo3. Classic Leopard flight with just a bit more distance.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:37 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 29
Niced 45 Times in 41 Posts

I have thrown the Roc3, Mako3, and Shark3 in the past. I don't throw any of them now, but they are all solid molds and worth taking a look at.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:00 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 11
Niced 26 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric40817 View Post
Idk what it is about the champ plastic on these proto L3s, but I do not like it. Its as hard as a rock and slick as shyt. I dont really like champ plastic for my fairways as it is, but I dont like this one bit.
Unfortunately all the new Champ I have seen/felt is that way now....

I have a production L-3 and feel the same way about the New Champ plastic. I really don't mind the firmness but the lack of grip is just unusable for me.

Great stable version of a Leo, I loved the flight I got when it was not Slipping out of my hand .

I want to try a Star version and have been afraid of the Star "dome-syndrome" buying sight unseen/untouched but, I was told in the Leo-3 thread the Stars were coming out the same flatness as the champ.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:01 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 12
Niced 71 Times in 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by discguy42 View Post
Unfortunately all the new Champ I have seen/felt is that way now....

I have a production L-3 and feel the same way about the New Champ plastic. I really don't mind the firmness but the lack of grip is just unusable for me.

Great stable version of a Leo, I loved the flight I got when it was not Slipping out of my hand .

I want to try a Star version and have been afraid of the Star "dome-syndrome" buying sight unseen/untouched but, I was told in the Leo-3 thread the Stars were coming out the same flatness as the champ.

Yea I've been pretty comfortable buying my 3 series discs blindly and knowing they'll be flat.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:16 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 7
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
Who here bags and throws the 3s (Roc3, Leopard3, Shark3, Teebird3, TL3, Mako3)?

And what makes them unique from their predecessor (better, worse or just different)?
I picked up a Roc3 expecting to hate it. I was not a fan of the rotating DX Rocs and thought this would be more the of same. I was happy to be wrong, it is very versatile out of the box. Once the one in my bag gets a few more rounds under it, I might start rotating my Cores out.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:30 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 15
Niced 138 Times in 115 Posts

Roc3 is solid, Teebird3 is great. I didn't like the Leo3, too stable/stiff. As for the rest, not sure.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:30 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 8
Niced 562 Times in 451 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by discguy42 View Post
I cannot speak for the Leo3s (I've never seen a truly flat one), but the Star Roc3s I have are FAF board-flat. As board-flat as the McPros. So I'm not worried about the Star domey-syndrome...
Old 03-24-2016, 08:13 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 18
Niced 109 Times in 81 Posts

I only really have thrown Roc3s (a Mako3 a hand full of times and it flew great, but I have a very used Champ Roc3 for that slot). I own a McPro but have yet to throw it, but my new favorite is the Pumpkin Dx. It flies slightly less stable than my newer Champ. Give it a little hyzer and it flips flat and stays that way as long as I throw it level, but I swear it goes just a bit further. I really love this disc and hope the production Dx's are the same. It is as flat as possible without puddle topping and is relatively stiff (not quite as stiff as Dx Thunderbirds, but stiffer than other Dx I have held). All around, l love this mold and will probably add more Dx and McPro as well as a MF or two. They start off stable enough to give them good power without turning but not too much fade, which is what I want out of a workhorse mid.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:24 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 12
Niced 112 Times in 82 Posts

I owned a Mako3 after playing a round with my friend's Mako. I didn't like the Mako3 at all. I found the Mako felt better in my hand and I didn't see any difference in the flight or distance in the Mako vs Mako3. I was very disappointed in that disc. I tried out the Roc3 and it did fly straighter then a Rancho Roc for me but personally I think the Roc is better for shaping lines better then the Roc3. So it didn't stay in the bag either. I don't think I will try any more 3 discs honestly.