Old 09-20-2017, 07:55 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 0.5
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 98 Times in 40 Posts
Default Thinner Putters?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of thinner putters, as far as actually putting, not approach/drives/etc?

I ask because I got my Avair DX 175g putter today and took it out for a good while. Maybe it's just because the Shark and Leopard I was throwing with it were thinner, but the Aviar just didn't really feel comfortable in my hand (and I have a pretty big hand). In contrast the Shark, and especially the even thinner Leopard, felt awesome!!!

So I didn't know if I might feel comfortable with a thinner putter...your thoughts on thinner putters?

I haven't looked but for about 10 minutes but the descriptions of both the Discraft Ringer and the Innova Colt mention they have a thinner profile.

I had planned to order a second DX Aviar (actually have it in my cart, just haven't hit purchase yet), but now I'm wondering if I should try a thinner putter.

Thanks for any help and advice.

TripleB

btw: absolutely love the DX Leopard...so far I throw it beautifully. On my 5th throw I nailed a tree, that I was unfortunately aiming at but not expecting to hit, from about 70 feet or so...which being a newbie I was excited about
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2017, 08:03 PM
Par Member

Niced 32 Times in 27 Posts

Putters are all about hand-feel. If a shallow putter feels good, try a Pilot, Pure and Atom.

Niced: (2)
Old 09-20-2017, 08:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 3
Niced 33 Times in 19 Posts

One of the best putting pros uses the Ringer. A very flat putter. I liked the hot pink ones.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 8
Niced 562 Times in 451 Posts

Putting is the most personal and individual part of the game. What works for me might or might not work well for you.

Having said that, I generally prefer more shallow putters myself. So I've used Colts, and you might like it. If it doesn't work for putting for you, you can use it as an approach disc, or pay it forward to someone.

Also, it's not unheard of to putt with slow mids, though finding the right putter now will serve you well over time...

Old 09-20-2017, 09:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 19
Niced 445 Times in 241 Posts

Thinner putters are generally going to be faster, versus the slower, glidier deeper putters.
No right or wrong, just preference.

If you're throwing/driving your Aviar, what grip are you using? You could try a fan grip if you haven't yet and see if that feels more comfortable

Niced: (1)
Old 09-20-2017, 09:48 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 0.5
Niced 98 Times in 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscAnarchy View Post
Putters are all about hand-feel. If a shallow putter feels good, try a Pilot, Pure and Atom.
Thanks, I'll take a look at each of those!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfair View Post
One of the best putting pros uses the Ringer. A very flat putter. I liked the hot pink ones.

MJ? I've watched a lot of his rounds over the past week or two and that purple putter of his seems to find the chains every single time...INCREDIBLE!!! I'm a little biased because his hometown is 20 miles from mine, but he's probably my favorite player!!!

What's the difference between the Ringer D-Line, Ringer Soft X-Line, Ringer GT Jawbreaker, Ringer GT Soft X-Line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
So I've used Colts, and you might like it. If it doesn't work for putting for you, you can use it as an approach disc, or pay it forward to someone.
I looked at the Colt when I was looking at the Aviar. I think I went with the Aviar just because the flight pattern shown online looked straighter. Thanks for the advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Shoulder View Post
If you're throwing/driving your Aviar, what grip are you using? You could try a fan grip if you haven't yet and see if that feels more comfortable
I've looked at pics of various grips and to me my grip looks like a "control" grip, with my index finger slightly straighter than the picture I saw. Right now I'm just treating it as a putter to get comfortable with that aspect of the game.

Thanks for the input so far!!!

TripleB
Old 09-20-2017, 10:16 PM
Par Member

Niced 127 Times in 67 Posts

I have bigger hands, so discs like high speed drivers are comfortable for me. And, I gravitate towards putters that feel fuller in the hand also - discs like a Dagger, Voodoo or Shield. Someone else might like other putters that fit their hand size best.

Go to a disc golf store, if you are able to, and feel up all the putters. Then, get the one that feels best to you. You might find some awesome match for you. Or, it could happen that, like a lot of people, after all your searching you just decide that you really do like the Aviar, and will stick with it after all.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:21 PM

Years Playing: 2.7
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

The Latitude Spike is also super shallow

Old 09-20-2017, 10:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 663 Times in 462 Posts

When I started I just had a Shark. I added an Aviar after a few weeks and actually putted worse with it initially because it was a different feel and glide. But stick with it for a few weeks at least and see where you're at. It's the standard/base of most putters for a reason. If you go to a shallower putter they have less glide/more speed. They definitely feel better to me in a driving grip, but again they fly a bit different.

There's tons of putters out there because people like different stuff. But I'd recommend just getting used to the Aviar for a bit and then seeing what other putters feel like in comparison.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:56 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.5
Courses Played: 7
Niced 148 Times in 108 Posts

i LiKe P0pCoRn.