#11  
Old 04-18-2012, 09:34 AM
DavidSauls's Avatar
DavidSauls DavidSauls is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Newberry, SC
Years Playing: 22.5
Courses Played: 124
Posts: 12,987
Niced 731 Times in 395 Posts
Default

Subjective. But if I expect to get a 2 on most holes---especially if I'm teeing with a midrange or putter and expect to get a 2---it's a pitch-&-putt to me.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-18-2012, 09:58 AM
sgamerp's Avatar
sgamerp sgamerp is offline
Thanks, Dad
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 89
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,440
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by apdrvya View Post
see: Rycenga park, spring lake, mi

just look it up...
Minus the hole that's about 350 and in a tunnel. That is the place for an ace.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-18-2012, 02:16 PM
onemilemore's Avatar
onemilemore onemilemore is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Golden State
Years Playing: 6.8
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 6,313
Niced 62 Times in 35 Posts
Default

Alright, here are the distances on my course:

#1: 292 ft.
#2: 382 ft.
#3: 451 ft.
#4: 232 ft.
#5: 282 ft.
#6: 400 ft.
#7: 321 ft.
#8: 403 ft.
#9: 202 ft.

Mostly flat, and we are planting some trees, so in the future there will be more obstacles.

Pitch and putt, or not?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-18-2012, 02:32 PM
garublador garublador is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Urbandale, IA
Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 7
Posts: 5,081
Niced 34 Times in 19 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemilemore View Post
Alright, here are the distances on my course:

#1: 292 ft.
#2: 382 ft.
#3: 451 ft.
#4: 232 ft.
#5: 282 ft.
#6: 400 ft.
#7: 321 ft.
#8: 403 ft.
#9: 202 ft.

Mostly flat, and we are planting some trees, so in the future there will be more obstacles.

Pitch and putt, or not?
I've heard courses like that referred to as a "glorified pitch and putt" courses. If it's really flat with few obstacles then it looks like several pitch and putt holes with a few no-brainer 3's for anyone breaking 300'. It's better than a pitch and putt because there is some distance involved, but it needs more obstacles to make it interesting.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-18-2012, 02:36 PM
onemilemore's Avatar
onemilemore onemilemore is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Golden State
Years Playing: 6.8
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 6,313
Niced 62 Times in 35 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by garublador View Post
I've heard courses like that referred to as a "glorified pitch and putt" courses. If it's really flat with few obstacles then it looks like several pitch and putt holes with a few no-brainer 3's for anyone breaking 300'. It's better than a pitch and putt because there is some distance involved, but it needs more obstacles to make it interesting.
I'll agree with you on that. We are on a middle school campus with little foliage.

We are planting 16 trees this weekend, specifically for the course. They will be a little weak at first, but in a few years they should offer more of a challenge.

End result, we're getting disc golf in more kids' hands, and giving a second course in our town. Even if it isn't the best or most challenging at first, I think it will be a good thing.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-18-2012, 02:40 PM
Royal Hill Royal Hill is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NW
Posts: 500
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I doubt that the local scene will really seriously dub it a "pitch n' putt" They may knock it as being too boring with the open conditions that are present now (until the plantings grow) and more likely knock it for being a nine holer - but likely not a center-vein pitch and putt due to the additional hole distances.

Sure, big arms, advanced and above players may make the occasional comment that direction, but you may have lost them at (nine holes) to begin with.

As a side note - I generally fall into the camp of "have your course be what it is, and be proud of it" rather than destroy its essence trying to constantly cater to everyone. This is especially true if you are in a saturated area for courses.

Edit: if this is a middle school, and its intended primarily for new school age players... gosh, maybe you do want to tailor it to that group as much as you can. It sounds like it is targeted to this group, so do everything you can to make it perfect for them, and let any other "players" deal with it.

Last edited by Royal Hill; 04-18-2012 at 02:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-18-2012, 02:43 PM
onemilemore's Avatar
onemilemore onemilemore is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Golden State
Years Playing: 6.8
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 6,313
Niced 62 Times in 35 Posts
Default

Thanks for the input. I have put a lot of thought and planning into the course, but I have no illusions that it is going to cater to everyone. I just want to give kids a place to play, and an alternative to our other 9-holer in town, which is in a multi-use park that is crowded on weekends.

And I agree: Let the course be what it is. If you don't like it, just play elsewhere. Big arms won't like this course, but if you make it a mid-range practice course, you can make it work for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Hill View Post
I doubt that the local scene will really seriously dub it a "pitch n' putt" They may knock it as being too boring with the open conditions that are present now (until the plantings grow) and more likely knock it for being a nine holer - but likely not a center-vein pitch and putt due to the additional hole distances.

Sure, big arms, advanced and above players may make the occasional comment that direction, but you may have lost them at (nine holes) to begin with.

As a side note - I generally fall into the camp of "have your course be what it is, and be proud of it" rather than destroy its essence trying to constantly cater to everyone. This is especially true if you are in a saturated area for courses.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-20-2012, 03:18 PM
garublador garublador is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Urbandale, IA
Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 7
Posts: 5,081
Niced 34 Times in 19 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemilemore View Post
I'll agree with you on that. We are on a middle school campus with little foliage.

We are planting 16 trees this weekend, specifically for the course. They will be a little weak at first, but in a few years they should offer more of a challenge.

End result, we're getting disc golf in more kids' hands, and giving a second course in our town. Even if it isn't the best or most challenging at first, I think it will be a good thing.
FWIW, I usually enjoy courses like this. It's like half field work and half playing on the course. They're great for introducing people to the sport, too becasue you don't spend much time looking for discs, but there's enough challenge for people to see what it really takes to get a disc to go 400'. The fact that it will grow into a "park like" course is a pretty big bonus.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-20-2012, 03:21 PM
notapro's Avatar
notapro notapro is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chicago Burbs
Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 465
Posts: 3,390
Niced 8 Times in 3 Posts
Default

I think if you HAVE to plant trees to add challenge, it's automatically a p'n'p.
Reply With Quote
 

  #20  
Old 04-20-2012, 03:33 PM
Discwrangler's Avatar
Discwrangler Discwrangler is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Courses Played: 1
Posts: 422
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Pitch and putt, like deuce or die, is typically a derogatory term used to describe a course, by players who fail to either make the pitch, and or the putt.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.