Old 05-01-2012, 05:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.5
Courses Played: 124
Niced 749 Times in 402 Posts

We might as well. By several definitions of "par", and by my mindset when playing them, they ARE par-2s.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2012, 08:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 43.6
Courses Played: 293
Niced 495 Times in 278 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwell View Post
Then it seems we'll need to rename many of our par 3s out there par 2s if it is defined by not moving up or down in the standings. (assuming par is set for pro level players)

I'm not saying I disagree with your idea, but par 2s are certainly implied with this definition.
Yep.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:54 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 60
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Maybe just not design par 2's for a given skill level? idk? It would be more clear if more courses were directly designed for a certain skill level.

Sure it's true sometimes. Examples I can think of are Maine, where almost every course is private and thus designed for intermediate (maybe 900 rated) par. I'm thinking Creative rec, cranberry valley, Dragan field, and Scarborough. All nice courses but almost completly 900 based in terms of par 4's and 5's and the abundance of of 1000 rated par twos.

I don't tournament much but am 930 rated and can 3 every par 5 at all those courses. I throw a bit longer than my rating but a rating is still rating. I really don't mind it though because theses courses are just sooooo based towards a high leval recreational or casual player. The par's work great for this. I play them with my two fairly competent lady friends and they can almost always make a run at par if not for the whole course but for half.

I myself just play every hole a par three in my own head on these types of courses to keep the hunger alive, and while not a high rated player, can show long moments of 1000 rated play, and find it makes me better to at least try a little to play to that standard.

One will really note the difference by playing a Maine course and then dropping down to maple hill gold where most par fours are not birdie holes for all but the best of the best.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:37 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 28.7
Courses Played: 654
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 389 Times in 223 Posts

Realistically, there are no par 2s for White (900) and Red (875>) levels. Holes have to be pretty wide open and under 175 for Blue level par 2s. The problem you run into is with most public courses being designed for Blue or lower level golfers, several holes will likely become par 2s for gold level players, typically Open division. While ideally courses should be designed without par 2s for the skill level the layout is designed for, unless you're designing a gold level course, there will likely be par 2s on it when gold level players play it.