Old 02-09-2015, 11:52 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 22 Times in 11 Posts
Default M2daRizzle's bag of mediocrity

Hey everyone. I am a newish player from the upstate of SC and i am finding myself getting more and more hooked by the sport. My immediate goals are to keep having fun and get more involved with local clubs so I am not constantly playing on my own. I figured i would post an in the bag because i am bored.

Vitals:
Years playing/experience: 9ish serious months. I played a little in highschool and college, but not seriously.
Right/left-handed/ambidextious: right-handed
Throwing Style: RHBH mostly, working on forehand
Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver: Putter: 200/230'; Mid: 230/260'; Control drivers: 270'/ 300'; distance drivers: 300'/ 330'

Optional:
Sex: m
Injuries/handicaps?: Terrible knees
Other sport proficiencies?: Lacrosse, basketball
What do you like/dislike about your current bag?: Probably a bit complicated for my skill level, but trying new plastic is fun.
Immediate and long-term goals: more distance = more fun

Bag (magellan backpack):

Distance drivers:

Lat 64 gold line flow or Discraft esp surge: these are battling it out for the stable slot. I like the glidiness of the flow, but the surge fights the wind better. Probably going to go with the surge as the flow flies very similar to my saint anyways.

Iinnova Star Mamba: fun turnover disc. Go to for distance on non windy days.

Control drivers:

Lat 64 gold line and opto saints: go to driver. Flies very straight with a predictable small fade at the end. If i dont know what to throw I grab a saint.

DD Lucid Felon: I use this for wind and sidearms.

Midrange:

Westside VIP Warship: I really like the warship. It just wants to go very straight for me. I am using this more and more off the tee and for approaches.

Westside VIP Tursas: turnovers and hyzer flips.

Putters:

Westside VIP and medium BT: windy putting and approach days

DD judges: classic soft for putting. American lucid for straight upshots and a beat classic hard for turnover upshots.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2015, 10:26 PM
Bogey Member

Update: trying out the sorcerer in the stable distance driver slot. It will most likely be too mich disc for my noodle arm, but it felt nice in the store. Plus it has a rainbow stamp, so I couldnt pass it up.

Also noticed that I never wrote westside harp for my windy putter. So fyi, I use a harp when its windy for upshots that never get close and for airmailing putts from 15 ft.

I am also thinking of trying wizards for putting and driving duties, going from 2 putter molds down to one. My only hang up is finding a local place that carries wizards so i can fondle them before I buy, but so far I havent found that place in upstate SC.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:33 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I can not recommend a leopard enough. around 166-170g pro leopard. Nice and straight. stable brand new. seasoned awesome. really seasoned hyzerflip disc.

Last edited by mrdans4; 03-07-2015 at 10:36 PM.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:02 PM

Courses Played: 16
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Alpine ski center off Haywood road carries wizards. Normally have a ton in stock. Great guys that work there as well. Play it again sports off Haywood road has a great selection as well of westside and dd. what courses are you playing at most in the upstate?
Old 03-07-2015, 11:39 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartalex17 View Post
Alpine ski center off Haywood road carries wizards. Normally have a ton in stock. Great guys that work there as well. Play it again sports off Haywood road has a great selection as well of westside and dd. what courses are you playing at most in the upstate?
I am at play it again all the time. Its where I go to hunt out new and used plastic. I didnt know alpine sold disc golf stuff, I will check them out next time I am near Hatwood. I actually live in powdersville so I play a decent amount of my rounds at Foothills in Easely and Grand Central Station. Sometimes I make it into Greenville and play Timmons.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:41 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdans4 View Post
I can not recommend a leopard enough. around 166-170g pro leopard. Nice and straight. stable brand new. seasoned awesome. really seasoned hyzerflip disc.
I used to throw leopards and teebirds, but since I have started throwing warships I took fairway drivers out of the bag. There was too much overlap to keep them in the bag.
Old 03-14-2015, 10:18 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartalex17 View Post
Thanks again for the tip, I was able to stop in and pick up a couple of eraser wizards to try for putting and an evo wizard for driving.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:34 PM
Bogey Member

I have made some changes to the bag in the last week. It is now as follows:

Distance Drivers:

170ish ESP Surge- drives that need to finish left. I only throw this when its windy or for flex shots.

165 Star Mamba- go to for distance and turnovers. Works really well for my weak arm, but a no go in wind.

Control Drivers:

174 Gold Line Saint- This just goes straight. I use it for tunnel shots or holes with OB.

168 Opto Saint Pro- Just picked this up. I wanted something that holds up in the wind but isnt a complete meat hook.

167 Lucid Felon- flicks and really windy days

Midrange:

170ish VIP Bard: flex shots so far, still figuring this one out.

175 VIP Warship: Straight shots.

170ish VIP Tursas: Turnovers and Hyzer Flips.

Putters:

175 Eraser wizard x2: Putting only

173 Evolution Wizard: stable driving/ upshots

175 SSS Wizard: Beat in for turnover driving/ upshots

Old 09-03-2017, 02:06 PM
Bogey Member

Crazy necro bump time:

I have now been playing for 3ish years and a lot has changed. I am now a 920 rated player and I just started playing more in advanced as opposed to intermediate. In the last few years I have spent an absurd amount of money tying out different discs and gear, and having a blast doing it.

The current bag of mediocrity is as follows:

Distance Drivers:
-Westside vip air world 160g: straight distance that crushes when its not windy. I also really like throwing it for distance forehands.
-Westside vip sorcerer 175g: hyzerflip and turnover distance. When my timing is good this disc flies further than anything else for me.

**I still dont use distance drivers very often**

Control Drivers:
-Westside vip longbowman 175g: This disc is amazing. I use it for a lot of different shots and lines. Backhands, forehands, thumbers, anything. This disc is so comfortable in the hand and I can rely on it to go straight for a long time and then finish overstable for the last 50 or so feet of its flight.
-Westside elasto hatchet 174g: This is the straightest disc I have ever thrown. If I throw it flat at 75% power it will fly 350' with little to no fade. This is my favorite disc I have ever thrown.
-Westside vip hatchet 175g: This hatchet is slightly beat in and is great for hyzerflips and turnovers. I live in a place with a lot of wooded courses. Having a disc that can consistently hyzer flip to straight or hyzer flip to turnover is a necessity. This disc does that with ease.
-Westside vip stag 174g: This disc is like a longbowman jr. It goes as straight as my longbowman, but with a much more mild fade.

**I like to keep my control drivers simple as I use them the most and I dont want to have any doubt before I throw. So I try to have one mold for each of the following slots: overstable, slightly overstable, straight, understable**

Utility Drivers:
-Westside vip Ahti 175g: This is the disc I have been wanting for a long time. Basically a westside firebird. I use it for thumbers and forehands mostly, but also for backhands that need to go left immediately.
-Westside vip hatchet 175g: This disc is heavily beat in. I use it for two shots. I use it for backhand rollers and for tomahawks that need to flip fast. I usually only throw the tomahawk if I need to go over something.

Midrange:
-Westside vip bard 175g: This disc is pretty beat in. It now flies pretty straight, but has a healthy, overstable finish. This is one of the best windy day mids I have used.
-Westside vip warship 177g: this disc flies straight for a very long time. This disc goes almost as far as my stag, but I hardly ever throw my mids more than 75%. I love this disc for tight tunnels and low ceiling approaches as it seems to stay in the air forever.
-Westside origio warship 178g: I have extremely sweaty hands, so the origio plastic is great on hot, humid days as it provides excellent grip I felt I was losing out on with vip plastic. This disc is slightly less stable then my vip warship. I use it for gentle turns to the right, or soft hyzer flips.
-Westside origio tursas 178g: Flippy awesomeness. I use it all the time in the woods for turnovers and hyzerflips.

**I try to use the same approach with my mids that I do with my control drivers. One mold for each of the 4 slots: overstable, straight to slightly overstable, straight to slightly understable, understable.**

Putters:
-Westside bt soft harp 175g: flick approaches and windy day approaches/putting.
-Westside bt med crown 175g X 3: i use one for driving and 2 for putting. I love this putter. The perfect amount of slight overstability and it feels lower profile then most of the beaded putters I have tried. Great for my spin putting and for straight putter drives/approaches.
-Westside bt soft swan 2 175g: dead straight to turnover putts and approaches. I can use my putting grip and stance to run putts from way outside the circle and have it fly dead straight to the target. The soft plastic also usually helps it sit down near where it lands.

So I am one of those guys that only uses one brand. I know it doesn't make sense to a lot of people, but I just really like westside and don't feel like I am missing out on anything. I still try out discs from a lot of other brands, I just always gravitate back towards westside.

Feel free to comment or completely ignore this thread.

Thanks.