Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,149 Times in 577 Posts
Default Mid-year update: back to basics

Vitals:
Years playing/experience: 12 years, no previous frisbee experience
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: right-handed
Throwing Style: RHBH, some RHFH
Golf Distance (avg/max) for putter/mid/driver:
Shield (230/290) Ghost(250/320) Convict(325/375) Outlaw(350/400)

Sex: M
Injuries/handicaps?: Severely arthritic left knee from multiple injuries/surguries
Other sport proficiencies?: Powerlifting
What do you like/dislike about your current bag?:
Consolidating main use discs - making decisions simpler on the course is the goal.

Distance Drivers
:
174 FR Pinnacle Outlaw
172 2R Pinnacle Outlaw - Trying both of these out for moderately overstable distance. No real difference to be found between these two so far.
167 2R Pinnacle Outlaw - Lighter and more workable on S-Lines, making max distance easier.

Fairway drivers:

174 dyemax Felon
169 fuzion Felon
The dyemax is super beefy and I don't worry about turning it over at all. Handles all the torque I could give a sidearm. The Lighter fuzion is breaking in and losing it's LSS, nice to hammer on it for a long straight shot that doesn't turn or fade a ton.

170 Lucid Convict (3x PP)
175 Lucid Convict (pre-PP)
The convict is a great workable control driver. The 175 likes straight to fade shots, the 170 has a little more high speed turn making it workable on a ton of lines.

175 Icon Patriot
174 Pinnacle Patriot
Dependable fairway/turnover drivers. The icon I use more for low power straight shots and turning shots I don't want to fade. The pinnacle has more HSS, and I tend to use it only for midrange distance shots with low ceiling.

Midranges:
178 Pinnacle Ghost
179 Gravity Ghost - newish
179 Gravity Ghost -beat
Moved back to the ghost earlier this year and couldn't be happier. Have my trusty cycling mids back and the ghost files as true as any mid I've ever used. The worn gravity ghost is a beautiful straight or turning mid - so much so that I felt like a comet wasn't even necessary. The pinnacle doesn't get thrown a lot so likely will be a new gravity/protege when the newer of the 2 starts to lose it's fade.

Utility discs:
175 Recon Mortar (1.3) - sidearm/hard hyzer approaches. it's my pitching wedge in ball golf terms. Easy for me to range and sticks pretty well where it lands.
175 Icon Mongoose - Rollers and difficult stance shots that have to go right. Not in the bag for every round.
175 Opto XXX - stupid overstable, great for short flex shots and forehand rollers. Not in the bag every round.

Putters:
175 XT Nova - Slow touch approaches
175 BT Hard Shield - beat in and for straight/turning putter drives
175 BT Medium Shield - straight to hyzer putter drives
174 BT Hard Shield (x2) - putting putters
The Nova is a nice addition to the bag as a finesse approach disc. Slow and straight but not understable. Sticks well where it hits, making it a real point-and-shoot disc which I've never had before. The shield is probably what I really needed in a putter for a long time - wizard like flight but without the deeper feeling or large bead that comes with it.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2017, 09:41 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 91

Other changes since last update - Giants out in favor of outlaws. I always felt like I had to finesse giants too much comparatively, not being able to throw like I wanted for a real distance driver. I can throw outlaws harder and turn them knowing they won't stay turned and go off line.

The mortar is a faster harp for me. Dependably overstable while not being a dinner plate like a justice. Not nearly as much overlap with shields, either.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:54 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.8
Courses Played: 4
Niced 193 Times in 124 Posts

Now you make me wanna put the Shield in the bag again... At the moment I pair my Nova (also use it for long putts/throws for chains rather than lay up) with Pure and a Harp (OS approach) but the Shield was a very pleasant disc.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:09 AM
* Ace Member *

Condensing down a bit. I'm in the worst stretch of golf tournament golf I've ever played (3 straight sub 900 rounds) so I want to make things as basic as possible right now. Just a quick rundown -

2 2R Pinnacle outlaws - 172 and 167 - overstable and workable distance
1 Biofuzion Criminal - 172, to be the do-all overstable driver. might get a lighter lucid if it beats up too fast.
2 Lucid Convicts - 169,175 - workhorse drivers
1 Icon Patriot - 175 - when I need more turn than a convict
1 Icon mongoose -175 - rollers only

2 Gravity Ghosts - both 179 one beat up and one straight
1 FR pinnacle Ghost - 178, new in the cycle
1 Recon Mortar - 175, the pitching wedge in my bag
2 Shields - both 174, one beat up bt hard and one bt medium. driving/upshots only
2 classic wardens - both 174, putting only.

I think I had too many variables in the bag, and too many discs that I didn't know well enough to use correctly in a tournament setting. Knowing and trusting your discs is the best thing for what you throw. Less variables for me is better. I've often played my best golf with a much smaller lineup. Also, I was playing and putting much better with wardens for most of the season, before switching to shields. I think my putting game has just evolved past needing an overstable putter like the shield, wizard, challenger, etc which I used to love but just doesn't work as well for me anymore.

Last edited by VictorB; 07-31-2017 at 09:14 AM.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:40 AM
* Ace Member *

Shields are out in favor of just using wardens again for all putting/approach/short drive duties. Criminal out in favor of the predator, which won a 3 way comparison between the above 2 and the felon . The predator, which I threw for years, is more versatile for FH and BH for me. No need for a faster overstable driver since the outlaw covers those shots just fine.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:05 AM
* Ace Member *

I've ditched convicts now as I've had a few instances of them losing their stability in a sudden and drastic manner. Going with the thunderbird to have a slightly workable control driver still. PDs were a little too fast for what I wanted still, and not quite as workable IMO. Got a few different plastics (pro, champ, star) to have a good mix and hopefully break one of them into slightly understable by the end of this year.

Hoping to settle into this lineup for a while - I don't feel like my bag is lacking anything. I might even ditch outlaws and just throw speed 10 and slower, but as always the extra distance is always enticing.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:39 AM
* Ace Member *

With the end of my normal season wrapping up at the end of this month (hopefully making an invitational tournament in late October/early November) just wanted to list out what I'm carrying.

Distance drivers:
175 HL Star Tern - when distance is at a premium and large landing areas available, or I need to hold a long line drive turning shot.

I'm not carrying anything else high speed besides this anymore. I just don't gain enough from them to justify.

Fairway drivers:
175 pro thunderbird - workhorse control driver. stable and will beat in to a turning driver eventually.
167 star thunderbird - long hyzer shots, pretty overstable for a thunderbird even if it's lighter weight.
175 pinnacle patriot - lower speed drives that flip up and hold straight.
175 icon patriot - worn in enough to turn out of a hyzer, and will hold a long, high turnover all the way to the ground.
175 fuzion felon - the overstable beef.
173 icon mongoose - primary roller disc, don't throw it for much else. maybe a low power odd stance shot that needs to turn.

Midrange:
180 300G M4 - beat up for long turns or very low power straight shots.
179 750G M4 - straight as can be. doesn't turn, minimal fade, even out to 330'.
180 400G M4 - stable, good for straight to hyzer shots.
175 Recon Mortar - when I need a hard fade but less disc than a felon. utility disc mainly used for forehand hyzer approaches.

Putters
175 bt medium shield - cycled in a new one recently, mainly putter drives and approaches that need to hyzer.
175 bt hard shield - getting pretty beat in, covers most straight to turnover putter duties.
175 be hard shield (x2) putting putters only. Finally becoming very comfortable with these after waffling too much earlier this year trying to find a good beadless putter for me.

Niced: (1)

Old 09-07-2017, 10:22 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3
Niced 225 Times in 147 Posts

Your bag looks really clean and greatly structured. I like it a lot!