Old 02-17-2020, 03:55 PM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Discraft Plastic- X vs. EliteX

Anyone know if there's a difference between X and Elite X plastics? I assumed they were the same, but Marshall has the Xpress discs available in both plastics and the Elite is way more expensive than the plain X.

https://www.marshallstreetdiscgolf.c...t_type=product
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2020, 04:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.2
Courses Played: 248
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 3,369 Times in 1,182 Posts

I don't know the difference in plastics. The Elite X is the predecessor to the X. The Xpress is a fliptastic turn over machine and the Elite X does breaking slower than any baseline plastic. If you like the Xpress, you might want to give an Elite X XS a look. Sneaky long for fairway type driver.

Old 02-17-2020, 04:13 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 132
Niced 831 Times in 374 Posts

My understanding was Discraft simply dropped the name "Elite" from the plastic but its still the same. Maybe because Elite X are an older run they may fetch a higher price? Possible the Elite may feel a tick harder/firmer as with old age they tend to dry out a little bit. But my X Stratus flies like my Elite X Stratus, cant tell a big difference.

Old 02-17-2020, 04:56 PM
* Ace No More *

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 331
Niced 4,107 Times in 1,834 Posts

I don't know whether or not they actually changed the compound when they went for Elite X to X (or Elite Z, to Z for that matter). But FP's correct: if you see the same mold available in X and Elite X, "Elite" is just an older production version of the same mold. They stopped using the word "Elite" several years ago.

Haven't noticed any difference in flight between the them. Still able to hit the same trees I always have.

Old 02-17-2020, 05:15 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 17.1
Courses Played: 25
Niced 1,089 Times in 905 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future_Primitive View Post
My understanding was Discraft simply dropped the name "Elite" from the plastic but its still the same. Maybe because Elite X are an older run they may fetch a higher price? Possible the Elite may feel a tick harder/firmer as with old age they tend to dry out a little bit. But my X Stratus flies like my Elite X Stratus, cant tell a big difference.
I agree, however in Elite X like Elite Z, the plastic can have more grip then X or Z for the respective plastic and X can have slick runs that 90% of Elite X almost never had with some runs of Elite X are missing the shiny part that all X has. The same goes for Z having slick runs that Elite Z almost never had.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 02-17-2020 at 05:17 PM.
Old 02-17-2020, 05:18 PM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 18.4
Courses Played: 41
Niced 1,068 Times in 556 Posts

All they did was drop the Elite name from X and Z.

Each run of every disc feels different...don't read into it so much people!

Niced: (2)
Old 02-17-2020, 06:40 PM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks for all the replies! I always figured it was just a name change, but when I saw the huge difference in price between the two versions I thought maybe there was more to it. The price difference doesn't seem justified.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:52 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 293 Times in 188 Posts

Price difference is usually for collectors or nostalgia (think older KC / pro plastic). Some people claim the older elite X was more durable than the newer stuff. Ultimately they fly about the same.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:42 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 17.1
Courses Played: 25
Niced 1,089 Times in 905 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANBURGARLAR View Post
Price difference is usually for collectors or nostalgia (think older KC / pro plastic). Some people claim the older elite X was more durable than the newer stuff. Ultimately they fly about the same.
I will agree that old Innova Pro as that is better then modern and was on more disc molds, newer Pro is more durable but the old Pro had the slick outer layer wear into the plastic getting more grip as the outer layer seemed to wear into the plastic. Modern Pro is like a less durable Echo Star and does get grip but not the way old Pro did as the glossy layer just seems to get more waxy over time with the new Pro especially with the flexible runs of Pro. This does not even take into account the R-Pro or KC Pro that are two different plastic.

I get why some Elite X can be more durable then X, all but the final year runs of Elite X were stiffer plastic then X, Stiffer plastics can be more durable if the two plastics are the same just one is stiffer. This does not have to do with the elite X being older thus stiffer, Elite X was just stiffer by nature then X when new. Most of the change was in final year of Elite X it was soft like the X plastic when new, hence the change for it.

Old 02-17-2020, 09:43 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 25.6
Courses Played: 136
Niced 3,428 Times in 1,234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamba Maniac View Post
Thanks for all the replies! I always figured it was just a name change, but when I saw the huge difference in price between the two versions I thought maybe there was more to it. The price difference doesn't seem justified.
The Elite X XPress they have are really, really old. They have the old Discraft logo on them. I think they are just marked up because they are "vintage."

Niced: (1)