Old 08-18-2018, 09:54 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 45 Times in 19 Posts

Masters is way more entertaining and competitive than fpo. Paige wins just about everything in fpo, to the point that it is not interesting to watch because it is not a contest. And then when she doesn't win she blames it on poor course design . Fpo courses need to be tailored to the fpo skill set.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2018, 12:45 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 67
Niced 457 Times in 119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz58 View Post
I don't know why but got a kick out of the last line! I too am hoping this gets video'd and shown on YT, at least the lead card.
A funny thing happened the evening before the FP40 final nine. Terry (The Disc Golf Guy) Miller's in town shooting video here and there around the tournament, so as a courtesy I reached out to him and asked if it would be a bother if I followed FP40 and filmed the whole round on my own with my super-low-tech gear, in order to make a full video with post-produced commentary and such of my own. I didn't want to step on any toes or get in the way.

He counter-offered to let me use one of his pro cameras to do the shooting, and to collaborate on the project.

I'm no pro videographer, (I was a still photographer 25 years ago when film was still a thing, including sports photography), so the video footage in the can is a bit naff, but workable. The plan is for me and Kimberly (the world champ in the video) to do the commentary for the round once it's edited.

Old 08-19-2018, 01:29 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 14
Niced 49 Times in 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova P View Post
A funny thing happened the evening before the FP40 final nine. Terry (The Disc Golf Guy) Miller's in town shooting video here and there around the tournament, so as a courtesy I reached out to him and asked if it would be a bother if I followed FP40 and filmed the whole round on my own with my super-low-tech gear, in order to make a full video with post-produced commentary and such of my own. I didn't want to step on any toes or get in the way.

He counter-offered to let me use one of his pro cameras to do the shooting, and to collaborate on the project.

I'm no pro videographer, (I was a still photographer 25 years ago when film was still a thing, including sports photography), so the video footage in the can is a bit naff, but workable. The plan is for me and Kimberly (the world champ in the video) to do the commentary for the round once it's edited.
Very cool! And I doubt that your video quality will be worse than some others I have seen from supposedly more professional postings on YT. Your efforts are appreciated and I will, at some point in the near future no doubt, be watching your video coverage of this final round

Niced: (3)
Old 08-20-2018, 11:11 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 67
Niced 457 Times in 119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz58 View Post
Very cool! And I doubt that your video quality will be worse than some others I have seen from supposedly more professional postings on YT. Your efforts are appreciated and I will, at some point in the near future no doubt, be watching your video coverage of this final round
The audio's in the can, so soon-ish.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-20-2018, 11:52 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 25
Niced 477 Times in 405 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keller View Post
As an older guy, yeah, I do enjoy watching them.

Yeah, the young guns have all the glitz and glory, but watching guys be technical is closer to my game, so I appreciate it. Love watching guys like MJ and Barry!

FPO is something I could care less to watch. All this hubbub about growing women's disc golf? I don't think it's ever going to be anything besides a small minority sideline. Not that it shouldn't be pursued, just speaking from observation, but women's sports in general are just not that big.

There is a huge untapped market potential in the masters/grand masters players. They have more time and discretionary income. Lots of them are past sports enthusiasts who still may want to do something besides watch, and lots are past golfers who gave up chasing white balls.

Just my thoughts.
MJ the Discraft player even plays in open if the better tournaments does not have good masters at the tournament and has finished in the top 10 at Most of these events.

The other Masters are ones that wanted to play golf but the game is just something they do not want to spend that much money on or can't play as much as they want so they found a cheaper alternative.

I play Disc Golf though not a masters player, due to being frustrated with the putting part of Golf.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 08-20-2018 at 11:56 PM.
Old 08-21-2018, 01:00 AM
Free at Last

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 1
Niced 834 Times in 446 Posts

Why were there only 4 competitors in women's 40+? Interesting that Des and Elaine King didn't play here and opted for Worlds.
Old 08-21-2018, 01:30 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 39
Niced 288 Times in 146 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
MJ the Discraft player even plays in open if the better tournaments does not have good masters at the tournament and has finished in the top 10 at Most of these events.
Huh? Please elaborate.

Old 08-21-2018, 01:31 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 52
Niced 2,424 Times in 1,325 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post

The other Masters are ones that wanted to play golf but the game is just something they do not want to spend that much money on or can't play as much as they want so they found a cheaper alternative.

I play Disc Golf though not a masters player, due to being frustrated with the putting part of Golf.
MJ is not a masters aged player till next year...

How much more of this guy is needed before he gets the boot?

Old 08-21-2018, 01:43 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 25
Niced 477 Times in 405 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
MJ is not a masters aged player till next year...

How much more of this guy is needed before he gets the boot?
I thought he was? Then others are making the same mistake as me.

Old 08-21-2018, 01:58 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 52
Niced 2,424 Times in 1,325 Posts

Its the hair...

He decided awhile back during the Mullett craze, that we was all party. So the business just ran away.

Sorry MJ... couldn't resist.